HeatherVenus

Initial concept leaked ('Cold Heart')

Post by HeatherVenus on Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:01 pm

http://www.megabearsfan.net/post/2014/1 ... pitch.aspx In case no one saw this , here is the first concept for Shattered Memories , named then 'Cold Heart' *sorry if AP *

Lord Zachariah

Bara Man

Post by Lord Zachariah on Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:02 pm

In all honesty, this sounds much more interesting than Shattered Memories.
Heather is my spirit animal, and Alessa is my Stand.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:59 pm

EldritchKitten wrote:In all honesty, this sounds much more interesting than Shattered Memories.

I agree. Shattered memories was awesome, but the concept for this interests me.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:05 pm

Perhaps one day Tomm can get back together with Climax and release this as an actual game that takes place in the alternate universe timeline of SM. I've always (well, at least since 2009) wanted another SH game that took place in the other timeline.

I know some would cry sacrilege for saying Tomm should be given another SH title, but I mean if Kojima has his own title going, I don't see a problem with also getting another game from Tomm and a team like Climax. Ioved SM. A lot of people did.

Another wintery/ Christmasy Silent Hill in the style of SM (minus chase sequences) would be just f*cking great.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:38 pm

I loved playing SM in summer when it was real hot outside.^ It cooled my spirits.

But yeah another ice one wouldn't be bad.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:47 pm

I had never saw this in high resolution, thanks!

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:43 am

I remember this. They were actually thinking of putting combat in. With survival elements against the cold. Even the puzzle were supposedly better. This sounded amazing. Instead we got that terrible chase sequence and no combat or inventory.

HeatherVenus

Post by HeatherVenus on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:38 pm

#Justice4SilentHillColdHeart :cry:

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:42 pm

PMS_Akali wrote:I remember this. They were actually thinking of putting combat in. With survival elements against the cold. Even the puzzle were supposedly better. This sounded amazing. Instead we got that terrible chase sequence and no combat or inventory.

An accurate description of SM's flaws.

I think a lot of SM's problems stemmed from the fact it was built for the wii. Had it been developed for ps3/360, a lot of the initial ideas in the pitch probably would have made it through. I'm certainly not bashing SM but, let's be real here, history has proven that wii/wiiyoo is not the best platform for horror gaming exclusivity. It's far too gimmicky to sport hardcore horror experiences.

Which is why the ps2 port was such a disaster. Sure you can port the game, but a lot of the underlying mechanics get lost in the transition, mechanics designed specifically with wii in mind.

This is like trying to pass off a McDonald's Big Mac for a Burger King Whopper. Yea, both are hamburgers and contain most of the same ingredients. But a Big Mac is designed to be a Big Mac, nothing else. If you take the components of a Big Mac and try to make a Whopper, it won't work. It's still a hamburger, but a broken one.

And yea, a lot of what I said applied for the HD Collection as well. Better off left alone.

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:26 am

I really thought the game was gonna be a huge disaster from the beginning. Motion controls are just so gimmicky and un-needed for every game. SM was actually better than I thought it was gonna be. I'll give it that. But the actual concept of Cold Heart looked so promising.

Vestige

Post by Vestige on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Jam, sorry but you just sound like the classic Nintendo hater there (Oh! Leds maik phun ov dhe wiiyoo! trololol).

To be fair, while motion sure is gimmicky, it's up to the game developer to build a game around it or not, there are many decent games in the said "wii/wiiyoo" (that you will surely overlook, cause of course you're a "Hardcore" gamer) and most of them have definitely ignored the motion feature or at least not centered around it.

If you plan to make a game about Tennis, of course it makes sense to use such features, but for a game like Silent Hill it was simply lack of common sense to try to build the game at least partially around such features, specially when as you said, it complicates things when it's time to port it.

Last, well, i played SM on the PSP and to be honest i don't see the big deal with it that a lot of you guys make, or maybe i'm just a lot more tolerant? I definitely enjoyed it and it's high in my list of fav SH games. It seems to me like a lot of SH-Fans just whine for the sake of it.

And OT, the concept sure looked awesome, i add my vote to a future "SH on ice" game.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Dude I am like the last person who views consoles as "this vs that". My first console was a Super Nintendo. My second console was an n64. I didn't even know sony until I got a ps1 at the near end of the ps1 lifespan. My first experience with Microsoft console was 360. I loved 360 so much I had two of them (well...a red ring forced my hand). My first handheld was a game boy color. I still play my advance a lot because that was such a fine handheld. I spent 600 bucks on a Wii because I desperately wanted one and it was so popular you could only find them on eBay for ridiculous prices. See a pattern here? I don't care what the company is. If the console has titles I want, I'll get the console.

I've got love for all three major companies. I have fond memories from all of them. But if my loyalty had to lie anywhere, I suppose it would be Nintendo. They are the ones who introduced me to games. My very first game ever was a two way tie between Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt and Super Ghouls n Ghosts for SNES, both received one Xmas with a Super Nintendosystem. One of the best days of my life.

I don't like being pigeonholed into "fanboy" characterization. It's all games to me. Don't give a crap what the company is. It's fine to have complaints about certain gimmicks of a system. It doesn't make you a hater. It's the truth. Some types of games don't really work out so well for a motion control console.

My wiiyoo comment was me being silly. Not meant to be taken as hate. What is it with the internet thinking so much is an attack on something? And by the way my favorite game ever (Donkey Kong Country 2) is a Nintendo title.

I mean dude, it's cool. I just don't like my comments being twisted to make me sound like a hater.

It's chirsmus. Time for churr and hapness.

Vestige

Post by Vestige on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:33 am

jam6i wrote:Dude I am like the last person who views consoles as "this vs that". My first console was a Super Nintendo. My second console was an n64. I didn't even know sony until I got a ps1 at the near end of the ps1 lifespan. My first experience with Microsoft console was 360. I loved 360 so much I had two of them (well...a red ring forced my hand). My first handheld was a game boy color. I still play my advance a lot because that was such a fine handheld. I spent 600 bucks on a Wii because I desperately wanted one and it was so popular you could only find them on eBay for ridiculous prices. See a pattern here? I don't care what the company is. If the console has titles I want, I'll get the console.

I've got love for all three major companies. I have fond memories from all of them. But if my loyalty had to lie anywhere, I suppose it would be Nintendo. They are the ones who introduced me to games. My very first game ever was a two way tie between Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt and Super Ghouls n Ghosts for SNES, both received one Xmas with a Super Nintendosystem. One of the best days of my life.

I don't like being pigeonholed into "fanboy" characterization. It's all games to me. Don't give a crap what the company is. It's fine to have complaints about certain gimmicks of a system. It doesn't make you a hater. It's the truth. Some types of games don't really work out so well for a motion control console.

My wiiyoo comment was me being silly. Not meant to be taken as hate. What is it with the internet thinking so much is an attack on something? And by the way my favorite game ever (Donkey Kong Country 2) is a Nintendo title.

I mean dude, it's cool. I just don't like my comments being twisted to make me sound like a hater.

It's chirsmus. Time for churr and hapness.

Haters gonna hate... Ugh you haters make me... Nah lol, jk there Jam, my point is, the comment kinda sounds to me like you bash on the console itself (wii/wiiyoo is to blame for SM's failure!!!), while it is the gimmicky tech which in my opinion simply doesn't work for Silent Hill, not the console itself.

I don't like to label people, but all this console war thing really upsets me, for a multitude of reasons, but if you're just being silly then i'm fine with it. And even if your opinion was what i misunderstood (sadly a very popular one), i'd deal with it, to each his own after all.

Talking about gimmicks, i dunno but just as SM fell for the trap of them i'm just hoping SHs won't do any silly gimmicky thing like depend on the VR thing or whatever. Gimmicks that simply don't make any sense and become central to a game's design are usually a warranty of failure :/.

Never tried SM on the Wii so i honestly got no way to know how much the game suffered, what i tried on the PSP was still very pleasing to me, but still i definitely wish we had a chance to try this concept story, maybe even sounds better than a reimagining... wel'll never know for sure.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:35 am

I don't get into the whole fanboy stuff either as i've grew up with all of the major consoles...atari 2600...genesis, colecovision, Turbo-graphx-16...NES, etc..

That said, i don't have an issue if somebody prefers one system over another...me personally Sony is the right fix for me at the moment, Nintendo for me started being geared towards kids even before the Wii jumped on the scene and i was getting tired of Mario "everything"...just wasn't for me.

Two things sold me on Sony and really right now there is only one aspect that really keeps me with Sony and that is the controllers...they fit perfectly in my hands and as far games was concerned, both the 360 and ps3 have pretty much the same library except for a few exclusives, so it really just came down to how the controllers felt for me...i've tried many times to get a handle on those xbox controllers and they just don't feel right to me.

A few of my menz try to get me to play with them on their xbox consoles, but i just can't get with their controllers. As far as motion controls go?...i hate all of it...it's gimmicky and there are really no games that really take advantage of it...i'm not talking just nintendo,..it's Sony's "Move" and MS "Kinect" technologies as well....waste of resources.

There may be a few games here and there that are decent, but none of those games ended up being trend-setting games or products that lead to the next big franchise.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:26 pm

The "motion control era". The gimmicky precursor to the prominence of virtual reality. I think the industry needed to be shaken up, for better or worse. We kinda reached a point where " better graphics" stopped mattering, since the improvements were glacial. It was necessary to change not how the game looked, but how it was experienced.

Sure, motion control really reached the height of success with, of all things, bowling. But it subverted expectations and got people thinking. For a somewhat stagnant industry, it's a refreshing take.

It's why we are on the cusp of an absolute overhaul of the entire thing. Once virtual reality hits, there's no going back.

Perhaps we'll eventually get to experience some SH adventures in new ways.

Vestige

Post by Vestige on Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:18 pm

I still believe that even with VR around there will always be more traditional games around, i mean, how many genres can you successfully launch on VR? Even myself as a Zelda fan, i must admit that while the 3D games are awesome and whatever, my favs will always be the 2D overhead games, and i still want to see this kind of games done even tho 3D is available.

Anyway, go back on topic guys xD.

ashatteredmemory

Lost in the snow

Post by ashatteredmemory on Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:21 pm

While the whole concept looked great, they had a lot of hopes on what the Wii could handle, like with the dynamic weather effect, and since the pitch highlights the Wii-motion stuff so much, they had their minds dead set on going for that particular console. Had it been for another console, they might have pulled everything off except for the motion control.
I was still amazed by some of the shots they could create with the Wii in SHSM, but i don't think even more was really possible.

I'm curious as to why they have changed their ideas so much actually. From combat to fleeing, survivalism to no survivalism at all, a whole lot of extra items to just the flashlight and the cellphone, ... Did it draw too much from the horros aspect?
The running aspect in an extremely hostile environment (cold blizzard) makes sense and possibly the reason why they went completely for it.
As for the story aspect, the character's apparent past (as far as we know) has similarities to SHSM-Cheryl's, so someone might have thrown that idea around for the re-imagining.

What we did get instead was a game with much more emphasis on story rather than gameplay. Puzzles didn't completely block you, there were no combat tactics except for running, you didn't need to monitor health, 'freezing status', ... In a sense, it might even got closer to the essence of Silent Hill than what Cold Heart could have been.
"I told you, I'm not going back... so you might as well shoot me" - Murphy

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:52 pm

Whenever I think of what SM could have been, I think back to the time I first realized shaking a soda can with wii motion control to get a key was apparently a "puzzle" and thought "uggghhh."

The puzzles certainly did not get much more involved that that. I guess the best puzzle was from the ice mall, with the gumball machine, and the solution being the toucan's beak. That was at least interesting a bit.

But even then, the puzzle is still built around the use of motion control. And at the end of the day, it still limits your puzzle creating abilities. It's an unnecessary weight to apply to puzzle creation.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:24 am

Dear God, what were they smoking when they decided to drop the game!?

1. It has a female protagonist! (and from reading the article, a very good one too)
2. It would have been in the same SH universe as the major titles and followed the timeline (rather than being in an alternate reality)

These 2 are more than enough for me for it to have been made. I think Cold Heart would have turned out very well.
(I'm inferring from Cold Heart, that there was someone abusive or negligent in her life that affected her profoundly. If it was similar to SM it would have been a parent. Either that or perhaps she has lost someone such that she is unable to feel warmth and happiness, hence her heart being cold... but I guess you could come up with a thousand explanations lol)

I enjoyed SM very much, mainly because of the psych profiling and the different cutscenes/character models that occurred from it as well as the soundtrack, atmosphere, exploration (especially through the mall and woods) and even the prank calls you could do!

But the one thing that got under my skin was why would you want to reimagine a masterpiece like SH1? I can understand making a remastered version but not altering the plot.

Plus the Harry Mason from SM wasn't as adorable or as awesome as the one from SH1. The SH1 Harry Mason was a hero.

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories