Xuchilbara

The Red God

Is anyone else extremely disappointed with this game??

Post by Xuchilbara on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:28 pm

It could be an alt. universe, but it's not the main series.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

X-rust

Post by X-rust on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:38 pm

Nutmeg wrote:Except for the fact that the bad ending to 1 isn't canon.

Almost every ending can be canon (except UFO's maybe).
Each entry adds some info in the SH universe.

For example:

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:40 pm

You just proved my point. Ito confirmed the Good ending to be canon. Tomm confirmed SM to exist within a universe where the bad ending is canon. Therefore, different universes.

X-rust

Post by X-rust on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:45 pm

For each question on twitter, Ito expresses his personal opinion. Of course in time of SH2-3 development ''Good'' ending was lead. Climax went the different way and made sequel for another ending.

You can check my SH:SM novel (link in signature) for more details about my theory.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:49 pm

SH3 does not take place if the bad ending occurs, therefore it's not canon.

X-rust

Post by X-rust on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:52 pm

Nutmeg wrote:SM and SH3 do not exist in the same universe

SM and SH3 do not exist at the same time. But both games are based on SH1 and Zero story.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:55 pm

X-rust wrote:
Nutmeg wrote:SM and SH3 do not exist in the same universe

SM and SH3 do not exist at the same time. But both games are based on SH1 and Zero story.

Exactly. Different universe . Reread my post please

X-rust

Post by X-rust on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:00 pm

Same universe, different routes. Only issue with this situation - we can't get sequel for SH3 and SM simultaneously, cos it will lead to logic error (Mason died at different times).

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:05 pm

X-rust wrote:Same universe, different routes. Only issue with this situation - we can't get sequel for SH3 and SM simultaneously, cos it will lead to logic error (Mason died at different times).

Exactly. Different universe . I think you need to understand what that means. SM exists in a universe where the Bad ending occurred. The games after 1 take place in a universe where the Good ending occurred. Therefore, alternate universes.

X-rust

Post by X-rust on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Nutmeg wrote:The games after 1 take place in a universe where the Good ending occurred.

Which games? SH2 and Room independent from SH1 events and exist at any route.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:13 pm

They exist within the same universe because we have no reason to believe otherwise. They do not contradict events in 1 or subsequent games. Unless we're told otherwise, then we are to believe they're in the same universe.

Anyway, I fear this is getting off track now. Back to SM

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:22 pm

This is kinda off topic but still on topic at the same time....but one of the things I was disappointed with, was Heather. I love how she looks in this game and all her issues she has. I think I would have preferred her as the main character. I feel like having her go through the game would have been interesting.

Maybe it's because she's my second favorite protagonist, but I would have really liked to see this Heather. I feel just like much of SM, Heather was another missed opportunity.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:45 pm

I'm not sure if I understand that.
REVEAL SPOILER
She IS the main character.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:58 pm

Nutmeg wrote:Except for the fact that the bad ending to 1 isn't canon. Ito, as well as subsequent SH games in the series, confirmed the Good ending to be canon. Therefore, SM is not. If you actually paid attention to what Tomm says, he states it's just as canonical within its own universe , a universe where the bad ending to 1 is canon. That is what he means. He's not saying it's officially canon within the main series as that's been proven untrue. You're misinterpreting what he's saying.

I think this works the way that the convoluted Zelda timeline works: There are multiple timelines in which events have played out differently, but they're all canon, strictly speaking. One isn't "right" and the other "wrong", especially considering that the Bad ending is actually the one that is most likely to happen to Harry (and the player going through the game blind). Good requires you to be exploratory; not impossible by any means, but less likely than making straight for the bridge. The + endings would logically require Harry to possess psychic powers or a Silent Hill strategy guide.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:32 pm

what wrote:
Nutmeg wrote:Except for the fact that the bad ending to 1 isn't canon. Ito, as well as subsequent SH games in the series, confirmed the Good ending to be canon. Therefore, SM is not. If you actually paid attention to what Tomm says, he states it's just as canonical within its own universe , a universe where the bad ending to 1 is canon. That is what he means. He's not saying it's officially canon within the main series as that's been proven untrue. You're misinterpreting what he's saying.

I think this works the way that the convoluted Zelda timeline works: There are multiple timelines in which events have played out differently, but they're all canon, strictly speaking. One isn't "right" and the other "wrong", especially considering that the Bad ending is actually the one that is most likely to happen to Harry (and the player going through the game blind). Good requires you to be exploratory; not impossible by any means, but less likely than making straight for the bridge. The + endings would logically require Harry to possess psychic powers or a Silent Hill strategy guide.

Thank you. You put it into better words than I did.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:10 pm

PMS_Akali wrote: I love how she looks in this game and all her issues she has.

Me personally I don't agree. The heather from SH3 was the exact opposite of the one from SM. The last place SH3 heather will be is in a therapist's office. She was a headstrong badass with no fear and a rambo attitude. The SM Heather was a discredit to the identity of the true, canonical Heather.

Nutmeg wrote: SM exists in a universe where the Bad ending occurred.

I agree with this but we have to accept that Cheryl Mason from SH1 was in fact called Cheryl Heather Mason, and that we the audience are never made aware of her having the middle name Heather.

This already makes the game radically different to a playthrough with the good ending (the canonical ending) because following this ending Harry only changes her name to Heather/dyes her hair blonde after a member of the order tries to abduct her, forcing him to kill that order member.
Last edited by Silenthill4life on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:38 am.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:17 pm

Not to mention, as SM tells it, Harry dies in that car accident at end of the bad ending. Therefore, SH3 doesn't happen. Shattered Memories does, and the two cannot exist side-by-side.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 pm

Nutmeg wrote:Not to mention, as SM tells it, Harry dies in that car accident at end of the bad ending. Therefore, SH3 doesn't happen. Shattered Memories does, and the two cannot exist side-by-side.

The other thing that comes to mind is in SM Harry was divorced from Dahlia at the time of the accident but with the bad ending of SH1 Harry would not have encountered Dahlia/known her. Also in SH1 he went to Silent Hill for a vacation to the town with his daughter Cheryl, who told him he needed a vacation to help with his grief over losing his wife Jodie. Yet in SM Harry Mason never knew Jodie Mason, only Dahlia Gillepsie and his reasons for travelling to Silent Hill with his daughter Cheryl is unknown (although given the vicinity of the Shattered Memories' Harry Mason's house it is implied this Harry Mason lived in Silent Hill with Dahlia and Cheryl)

So the bad ending of SH1 can't serve as a canonical prequel to SM right?

Or are we to assume that in the playthrough of SH1 with the bad ending, Harry Mason never went to Silent Hill for a vacation with his daughter Cheryl but rather to return home to Cheryl and his wife Dahlia (with Alessa not being present)?

Shikou

Ghost Photographer

Post by Shikou on Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 am

I dont care about the "no weapon" concept because Im actually a fan of it . It makes a game scarier than a game that lets you defend yourself (I only wish the enemies in this game were threatening or scary lol). I like games that take away your toys and make you defenseless against enemies like in Ikenie no Yoru (Night of Sacrifice) and Nanashi no Game (Nameless Game). Just cuz its survival horror doesn't mean you have to shoot everything on the screen. I barely kill anything besides a boss in survival horror games cuz I have no reason to.

I dont really like this game, I wish it was more close to the original but oh well. I do like the idea of SM taking place after the bad end in SH1 but there are plot holes because the game is based on a different year than SH1 with a smart phone in the 90's.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:39 am

I have to say that, personally, I don't care for the idea that Shattered Memories follows the Bad ending. The premises and the character backstories are almost entirely incompatible.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories