Charon

The Friendly Stranger

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Charon on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:17 am

Don't forget that Shattered Memories was in fact a reboot, a total change in ambience and concept of the game. Therefore it's easily deducible the reason behind the different music style.

There are some songs I really like in this OST, as When You're Gone, Childish Thoughts, Different Persons, Ice and Hell Frozen Rain, being Different Persons by far my favourite, not only from this game, but also for every other game or artist.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:23 am

Actually, SM wasn't a reboot, just a re-imagining of the first game.

Charon

The Friendly Stranger

Post by Charon on Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:39 am

devil hunter wrote:Actually, SM wasn't a reboot, just a re-imagining of the first game.

My mistake. This was the right word for what I was trying to say.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:06 am

The problem with the OST. Isn't that it's different or the OST to a reimagining. The problem is the OST contains neither catchy entertaining songs nor disturbing ones that unnverve you. It's just very uninspired filler is all. Downpour's OST was a bit different from the usual OST fare of the series, but yet it still had quite a few nice sounding tracks and still felt like it belonged in a SH game. Not to mention SH1's OST is much different from the more melody focused OSTs of the series, but it's still fantastic.

Charon

The Friendly Stranger

Post by Charon on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:14 pm

I didn't feel it in that way... At all. Many songs make an extensive use of cold textures for their backgrounds, and some others have their synths played in different frecuency ranges and make use of scalar transposition, which are perfect for the eerie atmosphere Yamaoka tried to make. He also used a lot of low frecuencies in some songs, not noticeable at first sight, but still making quite an effect over the ambience. So technically speaking, the OST production have quality.

Now, as with any other art work, the key spot on this subject it's if those production techniques were well exploited. But that's why we got subjetivity. We can keep this thread for years, because we could never reach an agreement and still be right.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:53 pm

SH1's OST was mostly trash. It was just random industrial noise freakout fests, which works very well in-game, but sucks outside of the game for general listening. The only good tracks from that OST were the few that weren't industrial noise assaults, of which there were only about 7~10 or so compared to the 20+ industrial tracks.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:43 pm

SH1's OST is not trash just because somebody can't twerk to it in their living room. People have to remember that sometimes music is more about setting the mood especially in a horror title. SH1 was a batshit crazy survival horror game and the OST reflects this perfectly. It wouldn't be anywhere near as enjoyable if it had a more mellow, catchy acoustic OST or something. It's meant to get under your skin and wonder what the fuck is going on. And it succeeds well at that.
Last edited by Guerilla on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:57 pm.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:49 pm

^ I gotta agree here. That OST is one of the main reasons that game scarred the carp outta me. It did it's job very well IMO.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:16 pm

SH1's OST is not trash just because somebody can't twerk to it in their living room. People have to remember that sometimes music is more about setting the mood especially in a horror title. SH1 was a batshit crazy survival horror game and the OST reflects this perfectly. It wouldn't be anywhere near as enjoyable if it had a more mellow, catchy acoustic OST or something. It's meant to get under your skin and wonder what the fuck is going on. And it succeeds well at that.

Hence why I said it works very well in-game. Just a few words into my post and people instantly somehow skipped over that, lol okay. SM's OST fit the game perfectly with it's slow-burn subdued ambient soundscape, since the game wasn't about combat or being constantly "ohmagawd wtf bbq helpmeh" every two seconds.

I mean for fuck's sake I listen to noise rock, noise pop, noise, and even field recordings, and even then SH1's OST is mostly garbage. The tracks work well in-game, since that's why they were composed, but outside of that, they suck. That's how I was judging the OST's.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:23 pm

Am I alone in enjoying Silent Hill 1's soundtrack outside of the game? :lol:
It had pretty good tracks. My favorites are from the Cybil encounters and Lisa scenes.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:43 pm

I do like some of SH1's OST outside of the game. I listen to some of the tracks regularly. That's why I kept saying the OST, as a whole, was mostly trash (in my not so humble opinion, it goes without saying.)

The type of stuff I like:

Stuff I didn't like: Any of the SCREETCHSCREETCHCLASHKABANGGENERICRUSTYPIPEBEINGSCREECHEDACROSSASCREETCHYFLOORSQUEAKOHGOD "songs". Yes, they did their job IN DA GAEM, but that was it. If people like it outside of the game, so be it. It's fawkin' MOOSIK, it's even more subjective than typical subjectivity is subjective. Big deal. SH1 had a lot of great dark ambient and trip hop songs in it. SM had a lot of suitable tracks in it's OST as well. Certainly not worthless "filler".

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Sophia Peletier wrote:Am I alone in enjoying Silent Hill 1's soundtrack outside of the game? :lol:
It had pretty good tracks. My favorites are from the Cybil encounters and Lisa scenes.

Nope. I live ambience myself. But I also like the main theme. If you listen closely you can hear someone crying. It's at the 1:40 or something.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:50 pm

I actually like listening to SH1's OST outside of the game. Even the industrial tracks. I've heard trash music before. In game or not, SH1's OST is no danger of ever being considered trash. And I've listened to that OST countless times over SM's.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Like most OST's from SH I do not listen to the entire list. I choose particular tracks, some track IMO only really belong in the game.

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Post by Rodox_Head on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Sophia Peletier wrote:Am I alone in enjoying Silent Hill 1's soundtrack outside of the game? :lol:

Definitely not. I think I'm alone in enjoying the Downpour ST.

Anyone?

...Anyone?

"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:39 pm

You're not alone, though I only remember and listen to, like, a couple of songs from every game. No matter how good they are, I forget a lot of the soundtrack, mainly because it's the stuff that's for game only, not something you'd listen to on an ipod for example.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 am

When the kids come by for candy on Halloween, I blast the SH1 soundtrack on my speakers. They don't last long at the door.

That'll teach 'em a thing or two about pestering neighbors for junk food. It's my chocolate, after all.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Charon

The Friendly Stranger

Post by Charon on Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:58 am

The only thing I didn't like about Silent Hill 1 OST are those changes in some songs, or tracks that were totally absent, like the one when you encounter the hidden altar in the antiques shop, or the one when you encounter Cybil in the carrousel.

That's why, in case of Silent Hill 1, I'm more into the CSTs over all (Dust and Koebi edits). Original Soundtracks from later games are a totally different thing.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:20 pm

I liked creeping distress. It was the perfect soundtrack for the forest world at night and at the mall.

I thought the music was alright. It was a lot more quiet and mild in tone and I thought this fit with the idea of a lonely town bunkered down by a heavy snowstorm.

Pieramid_Head

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:41 am

I haven't played SM yet, but from what I've heard of the soundtrack it sounds pretty solid... Not the best (The Room), but far from the worst (Downpour).
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories