Guerilla

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Guerilla on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:46 pm

And yet despite all that Jonathan Davis still managed to make the Silent Hill song on the Downpour OST worth a damn surprisingly. And I haven't watched Dexter nor do I give the slightest crap about it. But nothing about Downpour's OST feels like filler. It sounds different than Yamaoka, but at the same time feels right. Like it belongs in Silent Hill. SM's was the epitome of a filler soundtrack, and you can tell Yamaoka was getting burned out on the series.

So yes, I do hope Licht comes back for another title.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:00 am

I've made no bones about my dislike of the korn song. Ideally the song should be something memorable not because of the controversy but because it's great and works along side the tone of the rest of the game and compliments it. I think with that in mind the Korn song at the very least be considered a misstep.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:19 am

About Licht:

If Licht came back, I would be quite okay with it. Is his music totally awesome? Not really. But would it be a tragedy if he came back? Not at all. I think that, since he's now had experience in the franchise, he has a better understanding of how things work than when he started.

Even Yamaoka's first OST was pretty terrible (aside from the intro song and final four or so songs). The rest of that album was just industrial noise that, while great in the game, is awful to listen to on your ipod. No one likes jogging along the greenway having demonic hellspawns screaming in their ears (unless you're that creepy dude who jogs on my town's greenway with that somewhat distressed look on his face. You need to lay off the creepy music, stranger).
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:31 am

That's what makes SH1 so good. It's more focused on its functionality in the game and unnerving the player than whether it sounds good on an iPod. Yes, it's nice some of the SH OST have some catchy tunes you can listen to, but I miss how the music of the early games (SH1 in particular) focused more on trying to convey setting and disturbing the player.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:36 am

^That's why Akira did such a good job from SH2 onwards. He created tracks that informed the player of the game's emotion while at the same time creating tracks that, musically, could stand on their own regardless of setting.

SH1's soundtrack is good, don't get me wrong. But it's obvious that it's the work of a man who was composing for a new game, in which he himself was creating the "essence" of the game's sound. "What should Silent Hill sound like? How should I approach this? What is Silent Hill supposed to feel like?" All questions he probably asked. It's the freshman effort of a music composer, for a freshman title of a game that (at the time) had no future beyond the singe entry.

Akira was in uncharted territories at the time. So for that he deserves the credit. He alone made the sound of Silent Hill. It's not his fault that the SH1 ost isn't so great, because it was territory no one had yet traversed. In 1998/1999, there were NO rules for how a psychological horror game like Silent Hill should sound.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:06 am

jam6i wrote:^That's why Akira did such a good job from SH2 onwards. He created tracks that informed the player of the game's emotion while at the same time creating tracks that, musically, could stand on their own regardless of setting.

I don't know, must of the stuff still sounds like this to me:

jam6i wrote:The rest of that album was just industrial noise that, while great in the game, is awful to listen to on your ipod. No one likes jogging along the greenway having demonic hellspawns screaming in their ears (unless you're that creepy dude who jogs on my town's greenway with that somewhat distressed look on his face. You need to lay off the creepy music, stranger).

Most of the gameplay stuff in SH games is just noise like that, only some cutscenes have memorable music that's ipod worthy. I mean, SH games aren't exactly Persona 3 and 4 when it comes to ipod worthy soundtracks.

Do you wanna listen to heavy breathing, demonic growls or whatever those sounds are from the One Truth boss fight in 4 etc.?

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:08 am

There are more than enough tracks from the different games Akira composed to make a solid playlist to listen to. I listen to them more often than not. Both ambience and vocal tracks. Although I agree that SH1's music is a bit to heavy to be listening to while jogging. :lol:

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 am

jam6i wrote:^That's why Akira did such a good job from SH2 onwards. He created tracks that informed the player of the game's emotion while at the same time creating tracks that, musically, could stand on their own regardless of setting.

SH1's soundtrack is good, don't get me wrong. But it's obvious that it's the work of a man who was composing for a new game, in which he himself was creating the "essence" of the game's sound. "What should Silent Hill sound like? How should I approach this? What is Silent Hill supposed to feel like?" All questions he probably asked. It's the freshman effort of a music composer, for a freshman title of a game that (at the time) had no future beyond the singe entry.

Akira was in uncharted territories at the time. So for that he deserves the credit. He alone made the sound of Silent Hill. It's not his fault that the SH1 ost isn't so great, because it was territory no one had yet traversed. In 1998/1999, there were NO rules for how a psychological horror game like Silent Hill should sound.

Didn't he work with someone on 1? I don't think he was alone like he was later.

I agree though. A careful examination of 1 & 2 's OST side by side you'll see that 1 is him defining sound. They're more similar than people think they are dissimilar.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:58 pm

I've never been too crazy about SH1's ST. :S

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Post by Rodox_Head on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:35 pm

Nutmeg wrote:I've never been too crazy about SH1's ST. :S

Me too. It's more of an ambience soundtrack rather than actual musical pieces. I don't think My Heaven was meant to be listened to while waiting for the bus.

If I had to rank the soundtracks, it'd look like this.

1. 2
(Well put together, good balance of fluff and meaty tracks)
2. Origins
(All great tracks, but some are just too damn short. Also, why not put the songs that play at the motel and the good ending?)
3. 3
(Weaving in Mary's readings into the tracks themselves was a mistake)
4. Downpour
(I actually like the soundtrack a lot. It really goes along well with Murphy's story. Even Yamaoka was glad to see Daniel put his own style into it)
5. Shattered Memories
(Feels like an updated take on the first game's music with some nice gentler tracks thrown in)
6. 4
(Way too many tracks that don't even play in the game itself, it loses points for that)
7. Homecoming
(Not a good call to cram all your best tracks into the beginning of the soundtrack)
8. 1
(See above)
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:55 pm

I would rank mine as follows:

1. SH2
2. SH3
3. SH4
4. SHO
5. SH:SM
6. SH1
7. SHH
8. SHD

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:00 pm

1.) SH2
2.) SH3 (although, like stated above, having spoken dialogue play over the music was a mistake.)
3.) Origins
4.) SH4
5.) Shattered Memories
6.) Homecoming
7.) SH1
8.) Book of Memories (the OST is surprisingly good for a vita game few people cared about. I was impressed enough to review it on amazon on....April 28th 2012 it seems. It also looks like I'm the only person who cared enough to review it in over 2 years lol. It's pretty good for a vita soundtrack.)
9.) Downpour

Lol. I haven't read that amazon review since I wrote it. It seems my opinions have changed since I did write it back in 2012.

I called Downpour's soundtrack "rather exceptional".

I said BoM's OST was "the best Silent Hill soundtrack since The Room's".

Yea, bullsh*t.

Note to past self: shut up.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:25 pm

I can't rank them, because I only care about few songs from each game.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm not sure how I'd rank them because they all have some great songs in them. All I know is that Downpour is last because I honestly don't remember anything from that game, so Daniel Licht failed at making a memorable soundtrack. I did love one of the instrumental songs in a trailer fir the game, but I don't think that was in the game itself.
Off the top of my head, I'd say:
-SH1
-SH3
-SH2
-SH4
-SH0
-SH:H
-SH:SM
Of course, I'd probably change my mind pretty often when listening to the soundtracks.

Leonard Wolf

Just another resident of Silent Hill

Post by Leonard Wolf on Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:47 am

I have to agree with BillMurray lives.
Really, I just love all the songs of the games, Silent Hill has, in my opinion, one of the best game soundtracks ever, and I think Akira Yamaoka is one of the best composers I ever knew, he has a great talent for what he does, and Mary Elizabeth McGlynn has an amazing, awesome and ravishing voice.*_*
But from all the games, Shattered Memories disappointed me very much.
Really, from all the songs of the game I listened to, I can't say only one I have liked.
Both the instrumentals and the ones performed by Mary.
As a matter of fact, not only the soundtrack but everything about this game has disappointed me, really, I didn't like it at all and I think it'd have been better if this game had never been made/created.
I think the only parts of the game I liked were when you are at the psychiatrist's office, answering questions.
Really, I also didn't like Silent Hill 4 and Origins very much, but SM is worse than the two together.
Because these two at least have pretty good and awesome soundtracks and their gameplay is not so bad like the one of SM.
I'm sorry for you guys who like the game, but that's my opinion about it.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:24 am

For the record I really love Shattered Memories. Thinking back on the soundtrack I think I'm just thinking about how loud those sudden bursts of static by the ghosts were. It's literally the only significant background sound I remember.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:47 am

The whole game was a gigantic bore and a waste of time. As unremarkable as the soundtrack is, it's nothing compared to how stripped down and dull the gameplay is. They spent too much time on presentation and story and not enough on the gameplay. Yet despite that, the story was still an unentertaining roller coaster of pin the tail on the cliche. Downpour was basically like the refreshing spray of air freshener after someone took a nasty shit.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:54 pm

^I would move that air freshener up one entry: Shattered Memories was like getting that "new car" smell after trading in your old grey hand-me-down compact car that's got curious bloodstains in the backseat and a strong smell of "rotting corpse" coming from the trunk.

Look, I'm not going to lie. Homecoming looks terrible.

This looks awful. It looks like someone took a completed scene and smeared....that stuff....all over it. It's unpleasant to look at it.

And the only real alternative is grey.

It looks terrible. The palette is so muted. Nothing stands out. It's boring and pale. It's like the only two colors the art crew knew were "orange" and grey". It's embarrassing, really, how bad Homecoming looks.

And what did we get only one entry later?

That looks incredible, especially compared to Homecoming.

And then for Downpour?

That's incredible. It's eye-catching, visually interesting, and also quite beautiul. I mean, Homecoming should be ashamed of it's appearance.
Last edited by jam6i on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:18 pm.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:17 pm

I would have to agree with jam6i, SM is the wrong title to harp on. It was a "breath of fresh air" compared to HC.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Eh, the main difference is Homecoming and Downpour had gameplay and it felt like you were actually doing things throughout both games. SM stripped everything down to a skeletal framework that was clearly more focused on trying to look pretty and deliver a quote unquote stellar story with little success. It didn't feel like anything you did really mattered much in the grand scheme of things. Maybe on your first playthrough perhaps. But once you realize how shallow the psychological system is, the gameplay and replay value feels that much lower.

Less is not more. More is more.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories