PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by PEACETALKER on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:40 am

I cannot for the life of me remember any song ever from this game. Is it because the songs are so painfully dull? I love this game but the music is just so flat. What does everyone else think?
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

Rodox_Head

Member

User avatar

Just here for the chit-chat

Posts: 1292

Joined: Jan 13, 2013

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Rodox_Head on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:14 pm

Yeah I'm not too fond of it either. It felt the least "Silent Hill-ish" out of all the soundtracks, and that's including Downpour (but not Book of Memories as I've never listened to it).
Image
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"
 
 
 
 
 

NoOne

Member

User avatar

No One

Posts: 150

Joined: Oct 26, 2013

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by NoOne on Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:24 pm

"Always on my mind" is pretty good.
"IN MY OPINION"

There is your stamp of approval.
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by CrazyCatLady on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:36 pm

Different Persons and Hell Frozen Rain are good songs from the game. Hell Frozen Rain is what plays at the end. Different Persons plays while at Lakeside Amusement Park (and a little before).
Last edited by CrazyCatLady on Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:57 am.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Xuchilbara

Moderator

User avatar

The Red God

Posts: 8723

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Xuchilbara on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:44 pm

I disagree because I have this ost in my car and the reason it's there is because I loved it. I can't recall anything from Homecoming, however. I love Shattered Memories though because it fits the game. The vocal tracks are some of the best in the series.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Gauss

Moderator

User avatar

Posts: 1350

Joined: Dec 16, 2011

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Gauss on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:48 pm

The SHSM OST is one of my favorites. "Acceptance" is one of my favorites. I wouldn't say that SHSM had the worst soundtrack. Like Purr, I can't remember Homecoming's soundtrack too well.
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by CrazyCatLady on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Downpour's ST is the worst, in my opinion. Not that the music isn't any good, but it's not memorable at all like the previous games. Downpour would have to be last on my list with Homecoming right behind it. I like SM's a lot more than Homecoming's too. Homecoming had some good ones, but nothing I bothered downloading, myself.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Borg on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Most of the memorable SH music for me is the stuff with vocals, with few exceptions. So, I don't have a favorite soundtrack. So, the list of songs I really like isn't that big, I guess Downpour suffers from not having much vocal songs.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6581

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:29 pm

Funny, I have been thinking about downloading this soundtrack, I think I will grab the few songs mentioned here for starters. If there are any other suggestions send them my way.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2339

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by jam6i on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:02 pm

There's a small list of tracks that most people probably remember, but most of the OST is pretty meh-ish. I think Akira Yamaoka was quite burned out by this point, for good reason. He had been making the music for SH for a decade. Everyone needs a break at some point.

I think the SM soundtrack is pretty good at capturing that feeling of "cold" and "snow". It's a good OST to have in your car while driving to work/school when the sky is darkened by snow and winter. It's the perfect soundtrack for winter driving. SM (the game) is also the perfect game to play while you're stuck at home with no obligations and it's snowy and wintery outside. I actually really, really love SM because of the wintery feelings I get while playing it

If you're looking for a bad OST, it's gotta be Downpour. Listening to that leaves you with a feeling of "uhhhhh.....that's it??" when it's over. Book of Memories' OST was better than Downpour's, which just felt sloppy and rushed.

In my opinion the worst Yamaoka soundtrack was for Homecoming. I don't like it that much. It's not even a good soundtrack to help put you to sleep out of boredom, because since it's so terribly boring you'll stay awake being angry at how dull the music you're listening to is.

My personal list of SM tracks that are well worth the listen (ambient tracks only. While I do like the vocal tracks, I'm more of an ambient music person)









There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
 
 

Rodox_Head

Member

User avatar

Just here for the chit-chat

Posts: 1292

Joined: Jan 13, 2013

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Rodox_Head on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:03 pm

jam6i wrote:In my opinion the worst Yamaoka soundtrack was for Homecoming. I don't like it that much. It's not even a good soundtrack to help put you to sleep out of boredom, because since it's so terribly boring you'll stay awake being angry at how dull the music you're listening to is.


It starts off pretty well. One More Soul... up to Elle Theme are all great, but after that it just falls into a valley of mediocrity until maybe The Thing. The last two tracks should have had their places swapped. Alex Theme is not a good finisher.

I must confess, I've never listened to the SM soundtrack too much. What was I thinking back there? Least Silent Hillish soundtrack? It's very reminiscent of the first game's music. I need to stop makin' an ass of myself. :?
Image
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"
 
 
 
 
 

Alistair

Member

User avatar

Swooping Is Bad!

Posts: 687

Joined: Mar 07, 2014

Location: United States

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Alistair on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:18 pm

I don't think so. Shattered Memories had some great songs. Some f my favorites are "Creeping Distress" and "Different Persons". Mary's work was as beautiful as always and the vocal songs were excellent.
I also really loved Homecoming's soundtrack. As soon as I heard "Terminal Show" I knew I was in for a good game.
Nutmeg wrote:Downpour's ST is the worst, in my opinion. Not that the music isn't any good, but it's not memorable at all like the previous games. Downpour would have to be last on my list with Homecoming right behind it. I like SM's a lot more than Homecoming's too. Homecoming had some good ones, but nothing I bothered downloading, myself.

Downpour had a soundtrack? Seriously, I don't remember a single thing from that game. I'd easily rank that as the worst.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Guerilla

Member

Posts: 168

Joined: Jan 06, 2014

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Guerilla on Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:07 am

By far and large the worst OST of the series. No real memorable tracks. The music is neither catchy to listen to nor intimidating or atmospheric. It's just vapid fluff. Downpour's OST takes SM's OST out behind the shed and plants a bullet in its forehead. It's shining proof that Yamaoka is not infallible.
 
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2339

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by jam6i on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:09 am



That's just about the only memorable track from Downpour. It's the only song that actually feels like it's trying to say something. The rest of the OST is forgettable fluff (don't even mention that sh*tty Korn song. Don't even.)

But ya know, fluff doesn't have to be bad. Akira himself made "fluff" tracks on the osts for SH2, 3, 4, and Origins that still felt both memorable and like they saying something. A fluff track can still have meaning.

But Downpour's fluff was just that: fluff. A way to fill the game with noise that, while not too bad...still wasn't worth remembering.

Look, Daniel Licht is a great composer...but his style is more "cinema" than Silent Hill is used to. You all know the "cinema" style. It's good music, but it's also just a lotta fluff that backs up whatever it is Leonardo DiCaprio is saying in scene 23. If you take DiCaprio out of the scene, you're left with music that just sits there, being unmemorable.

My favorite style of music is ambient. There are tons of artists out there that could handle Silent Hill and do a fantastic job.

My number one pick would be Boards of Canada. I've been a fan of theirs for some time, and I think they could compose music that fits the series quite well.

If you by chance have never heard "Everything You Do is a Balloon", stick with it to 1:40. That's where the track really takes off.

The one term I always hear applied to Boards of Canada is "nostalgia". For some reason, their music makes people feel nostalgia for things they can't explain (myself included).

There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
 
 

Rodox_Head

Member

User avatar

Just here for the chit-chat

Posts: 1292

Joined: Jan 13, 2013

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:18 am

jam6i wrote:My favorite style of music is ambient. There are tons of artists out there that could handle Silent Hill and do a fantastic job.

My number one pick would be Boards of Canada. I've been a fan of theirs for some time, and I think they could compose music that fits the series quite well.


This.

I've been a fan of them for years and I think their knack for using obscure samples would greatly amplify the series's atmosphere.


Image
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Borg on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:05 am

jam6i wrote: (don't even mention that sh*tty Korn song. Don't even.)




Image

jam6i wrote:but his style is more "cinema" than Silent Hill is used to. You all know the "cinema" style


Seems like it suited the cinema style pretty well in a movie, I guess it's more cinema than people are willing to admit.

jam6i wrote:It's good music, but it's also just a lotta fluff that backs up whatever it is Leonardo DiCaprio is saying in scene 23. If you take DiCaprio out of the scene, you're left with music that just sits there, being unmemorable.


Blasphemy.

REVEAL SPOILER


REVEAL SPOILER


REVEAL SPOILER


REVEAL SPOILER


REVEAL SPOILER


Unless you mean only speaking scenes, but even those have music like this.

Besides, same thing can be said to SH, imo at least, with few exceptions. like this:



One of the few songs from 2 I remember.
 
 
 
 
 
 

PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by PEACETALKER on Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:29 am

Let me ask you guys this, would you like Daniel Licht to return? Personally I thought he did a fine job but I think someone should've given him okay to go further. I think and as much as Yamaota is a staple I'm down with a composer with a more classical approach. Like the shining or something.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

Rodox_Head

Member

User avatar

Just here for the chit-chat

Posts: 1292

Joined: Jan 13, 2013

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:09 am

devil hunter wrote:
jam6i wrote: (don't even mention that sh*tty Korn song. Don't even.)




Image


As someone who hates all that angsty, white teen music, that song isn't really that bad. I hate the shitty interlude with the cheesy as fuck kid voices, though. Something about it, I just can't resist singin' along to the chorus.

HAVE YOU EVER REALLY NOTICED THE BLAAAAANKET OF SHAME
FROM THE TOOOOOOORMENT AND PAIN
AS YOU REALIZE THAT
NOONESEVERBEENTHERE
Image
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"
 
 
 
 
 

Guerilla

Member

Posts: 168

Joined: Jan 06, 2014

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by Guerilla on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:06 pm

The problem isn't that SM's OST is ambient. The issue is that it's neither ambient nor catchy. It just feels like filler. That's what I meant when I said fluff earlier. It's stuffing just to pad something. Downpour's OST focused more on atmosphere which it not only succeeded at, but actually brought forth quite a few good tracks (Intro Perp Walk, Downpour Intro, Bus to Nowhere, Silent Hill). I'm not even a huge Korn fan. However, not only was that song one of their very, very few actually decent songs in the last...oh, lets just say forever, it's actually better than any of the songs on the SM OST. Granted, it speaks more to the poor qualit of SM's OST than it does the Korn song being amazing.

I was actually surprised at how it not only sounded good but actually went well with the story of the game. Plus, it's only one song. It just shows that not everything Yamaoka touches turns to gold. Like many other musicians, he has his good work and his bad work.
 
 
 
 
 
 

jam6i

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2339

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Worst soundtrack? Worst soundtrack.

Post by jam6i on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:44 pm

@devil hunter

nah, I didn't say all cinema music was bland. That's not the case some of the time.

But Licht's music is better fit for those scenes in a film where some music has to be playing in the background just to mask the deafness of the background.

The guy composed the music for Dexter. Dexter had a lot of "filler" music, as a way to just pass the time between scenes, or perhaps to back one of Dexter's inner monologues.

But I never said cinema music was always filler. Those tracks you linked, I love them all. You've linked the exceptions to my statement.

And about Korn, Jon Davis is a terrible lyricist. Just the worst. He writes lyrics worse than 3rd graders.

I imagine he has a "mad libs" pad in his pocket at all time, and half the blanks are pre-filled with "pain", and the other half of the blanks are filled with "hurt". His lyrics are so interchangeable from one track to the other, you could literally read the chorus and have no clue what song it's from.


And check out this poetic gem. Surely future generations will look proudly on this accomplishment:

Shut up, shut up, shut up or I'll Fuck you up
Shut up, shut up, shut up or I'll Fuck you up
Shut up, shut up, shut up or I'll Fuck you up!
Shut up, shut up, shut up or I'll Fuck you up!
Shut up, shut up, shut up or I'll Fuck you up!
Shut up, shut up, shut up or I'll Fuck you up!


Either this is an angry person with OCD, or it's the lead singer of Korn at his writing desk, clearly at work on his artistic goldmine.

No one holds a candle to your genius, Mr. Davis.

Look, I don't like bashing on people. However, I'm not afraid to say that he is just an awful musician. His lyrics are childish and have no artistic merit, he can't sing at all (he can only sing "Jon Davis trying to sing", which is the voice we all know). He backs up a band that, honestly, the only reason they became popular is because it was lightning in a bottle. It was by pure chance and circumstance that people caught on to their music and listened. Looking back, it isn't that great (and at times, an embarrassment).

They should have stopped back when they still had some weight to their material. It dried up sometime around the fifth album, and they've been slogging along ever since, with each release heralding the same cries of "welllllllllll maybe next time they'll REALLY make a good album". Sorry Korn. But you can't keep playing the "we almost got it back" card over and over. That's a sign you should just call it a day and move on to other projects.

Korn is the musical equivalent of the X-files. Too long in the business...stretched thin like butter spread over too much bread. They need a holiday.

A very long holiday.

And I would expect them to never make a reunion.

In fact, I mean for them not to!
Last edited by jam6i on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:50 pm.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.
 
 
 
Next


Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest