Lord Zachariah

Bara Man

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Lord Zachariah on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:12 am

devil hunter wrote:
Purramid_Head wrote:The enemies have symbolic gestures when they attack Harry....

REVEAL SPOILER
Its Cheryl trying to hold onto the last vestige of her father's memory.

REVEAL SPOILER
Plus, enemies are featureless because they change as you go through Cheryl's memories, you get the idea about what kind of a man Harry was, so Raw Shocks go from blank slates to actually having features etc.

@Kitten, I think SH3 is only talked about the fact that it's the only game with the female protagonist these days and that's it.

Umfortunately, yeah. Thats what makes me sad. Especially since I still hear daily praise for 2, and while 2 is really good and I liked it, 3 deserves a lot more love than it gets.
Heather is my spirit animal, and Alessa is my Stand.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:16 am

I agree. I actually get tired of hearing about 2. Bur hey, it's not as bad as Final Fantasy VII.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Lord Zachariah

Bara Man

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Lord Zachariah on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:20 am

Purramid_Head wrote:I agree. I actually get tired of hearing about 2. Bur hey, it's not as bad as Final Fantasy VII.

Oh good lord no, it's not. I'm actually kind of scared to even talk to FF fans as I've never played it, but I've played 1-6 and I actually liked 12. Fuck all of 13 and its spawn though.

PMS_Akali

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by PMS_Akali on Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:41 am

devil hunter wrote:.
It was a concious decision, not because of laziness, but because of the way the game works. It makes perfect sense.

It only makes perfect sense because there's no combat. The monsters hug you while you try to run away, so they only made one man monster to chase and hug you. Hence why it's lazy compared to every other Silent Hill game.

Those are not the only differences in the endings. Besides, that's the thing people like about it. It changes things during the game and not just the very ending.

Plus, you might say it affects the story too and not just visuals since people change.

I mean it doesn't affect the story in a meaningful way. Like the paths don't change. Whether Cybil is a jerk or nice, she still chases down Harry. When you meet the girl at the school regardless of the color of her dress, nothing actually changes. The plot stays exactly the same.

Borg

Ghost

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Borg on Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:23 am

PMS_Akali wrote:
It only makes perfect sense because there's no combat. The monsters hug you while you try to run away, so they only made one man monster to chase and hug you. Hence why it's lazy compared to every other Silent Hill game.

That's not the reason. I'll copy what I wrote in other post.

REVEAL SPOILER
Enemies are featureless because they change as you go through Cheryl's memories, you get the idea about what kind of a man Harry was, so Raw Shocks go from blank slates to actually having features etc.

PMS_Akali wrote:I mean it doesn't affect the story in a meaningful way. Like the paths don't change. Whether Cybil is a jerk or nice, she still chases down Harry. When you meet the girl at the school regardless of the color of her dress, nothing actually changes. The plot stays exactly the same.

I'm gonna chalk it down the very nature of SH games,all the symbolism etc. Developers would have to be really careful if they changed the game in such ways because they could've easily screw up some of the symbolism and the game can end up a lot more complex (in a bad way though) and just simply confusing, maybe even nonsensical.

Still, it's unfair to simply dismiss the whole system, especially since it's a lot more complex than any of the other ending systems in the series. That's what should be taken into consideration, even admired that they attempted to make SM.

PMS_Akali

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by PMS_Akali on Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:03 am

devil hunter wrote:
That's not the reason. I'll copy what I wrote in other post.

REVEAL SPOILER
Enemies are featureless because they change as you go through Cheryl's memories, you get the idea about what kind of a man Harry was, so Raw Shocks go from blank slates to actually having features etc.

I'm not saying the changed features are lazy, I'm saying that them being one single type of man monster is lazy. There's no combat so there's no reason to program different AI. Every other Silent Hill game had multiple monsters that had different behaviors and shapes.

I'm gonna chalk it down the very nature of SH games,all the symbolism etc. Developers would have to be really careful if they changed the game in such ways because they could've easily screw up some of the symbolism and the game can end up a lot more complex (in a bad way though) and just simply confusing, maybe even nonsensical.

Still, it's unfair to simply dismiss the whole system, especially since it's a lot more complex than any of the other ending systems in the series. That's what should be taken into consideration, even admired that they attempted to make SM.

I'm not blaming the developers. The idea is way too ambitious and we don't really have money or technology to drastically alter an entire game based on choices. But that's just kinda how it is. It's a great idea, but it's not this godly amazing thing everyone makes it out to be. Games just don't have the technology yet.

Alice.Lawlor

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Alice.Lawlor on Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:17 pm

If you're saying that SH3 doesn't have depth or a good story or as good a story as SM, imma have to stop you there. First off, Me and a bunch of other fans like Heather because she's a fairly competent and capable female character, not because of an easter egg that you arent supposed to get until beating the game and doing some extra shit. Secondly, SH3 is PACKED with way more symbolism than ShatMemz and, IMHO, a better story.

Thirdly, I rarely see SH3 being the all-time fav. It's nearly always 2.

I'm not saying ShatMemz is bad, I still love it, I just see SH3 overshadowed by 2 constantly and then see this and thats just my one pet peeve.

I'm sorry if I sounded a little harsh, at first,I read my post again, maybe it sounded not as friendly as it could have ^^'
of course SH3 is full of depth! I think somwhere every SH game is!
And it's funny everytime I talk/write with ppl they tell me they liked Part 3 the most Oo

Lord Zachariah

Bara Man

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Lord Zachariah on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:25 am

Alice.Lawlor wrote:
If you're saying that SH3 doesn't have depth or a good story or as good a story as SM, imma have to stop you there. First off, Me and a bunch of other fans like Heather because she's a fairly competent and capable female character, not because of an easter egg that you arent supposed to get until beating the game and doing some extra shit. Secondly, SH3 is PACKED with way more symbolism than ShatMemz and, IMHO, a better story.

I'm not saying ShatMemz is bad, I still love it, I just see SH3 overshadowed by 2 constantly and then see this and thats just my one pet peeve.

I'm sorry if I sounded a little harsh, at first,I read my post again, maybe it sounded not as friendly as it could have ^^'
And it's funny everytime I talk/write with ppl they tell me they liked Part 3 the most Oo

I also apologize, I'm just a tad defensive about 3. And I wish I had people like the ones you talk to. Most of my friends either gush over 2, 4, or don't have a fav and just like bashing the newer games.

Alice.Lawlor

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Alice.Lawlor on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:58 pm

EldritchKitten wrote:
Alice.Lawlor wrote:

I also apologize, I'm just a tad defensive about 3. And I wish I had people like the ones you talk to. Most of my friends either gush over 2, 4, or don't have a fav and just like bashing the newer games.

don't mind it, I fully understand you! My favourite Silent Hill is the fourth, here in Germany it got very bad recensions, because it wasn't 'like a real Silent Hill'. I love these reasons haha :D
I aslo don't understand why ppl tend to bash the newer SH's so much. Downpour was a bit glitchy okay, but the story was still very interesting!

Lord Zachariah

Bara Man

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Lord Zachariah on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Alice.Lawlor wrote:
EldritchKitten wrote:
Alice.Lawlor wrote:

don't mind it, I fully understand you! My favourite Silent Hill is the fourth, here in Germany it got very bad recensions, because it wasn't 'like a real Silent Hill'. I love these reasons haha :D
I aslo don't understand why ppl tend to bash the newer SH's so much. Downpour was a bit glitchy okay, but the story was still very interesting!

I guess it all falls into whether people are willing to overlook some slight plot holes or glitches. Personally, I loved Downpour and Homecoming, but I can see why people hate them. Downpour's endings are controversial and its monsters are bad while Homecoming can be a technical mess while also filled with plot holes.
It depends on standards I guess.

Previous

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories