captain crowbar

Member

Posts: 2813

Joined: Sep 23, 2011

Location: United States

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by captain crowbar on Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I never said the town was the source of the power in my theory.
---
 
 
 
 
 

mikefile

User avatar

Posts: 42

Joined: Jun 09, 2013

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by mikefile on Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:21 am

I was never directly referring to you.

And 'town's power' or 'people being physically manifested' are still supernatural phenomenons.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

windowlicker

Posts: 21

Joined: Apr 17, 2014

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by windowlicker on Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:15 am

it's the only good western sh basically.It had brand new mechanics and creative direction as opposed to just pretending taking a new take on the series(downpour)nor did it exploit iconic imagery of the original trilogy with no thought put into it(origins and homecoming).
 
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by devil hunter on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:23 pm

What do you mean by "pretending taking a new take on the series"?

Also, "only good"? That's heavily debatable and a pretty bold claim.
 
 
 
 
 
 

windowlicker

Posts: 21

Joined: Apr 17, 2014

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by windowlicker on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:09 pm

devil hunter wrote:What do you mean by "pretending taking a new take on the series"?

Also, "only good"? That's heavily debatable and a pretty bold claim.

Downpour had quite a few features that in it's pre-release days made it seem like it was gonna be a fresh take on sh.In the end all new additions added up to nothing but filler(side quests/meaningless decisions and such).

And it's a bold claim only in a SH forum/fan community.Just because something has SH name slapped on it doesn't make instantly good.
 
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by devil hunter on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:15 pm

Neither does an opinion of one person mean it's bad.

What were those features?
 
 
 
 
 
 

windowlicker

Posts: 21

Joined: Apr 17, 2014

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by windowlicker on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:12 pm

The critical reception and sales for the series has been decreasing ever since motherfucking The Room.You think that happened with no reason?
 
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:26 pm

windowlicker wrote:The critical reception and sales for the series has been decreasing ever since motherfucking The Room.You think that happened with no reason?


Maybe because people don't find the newer games as bad as you do. Like myself, I actually enjoyed the newer games. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean others will. No need to get pissy about others having a different opinion than you.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by PEACETALKER on Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

Fucking this game is ruined for me because why is this whole game a metaphor in her head why jesus

EDIT: JK this is the best new game of the series I think.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

Parvatii

Moderator

User avatar

Mind of Destructive Taste

Posts: 8653

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Parvatii on Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:14 pm

BillMurraylives wrote:Fucking this game is ruined for me because why is this whole game a metaphor in her head why jesus

EDIT: JK this is the best new game of the series I think.



Me too. I can't always choose between it and SH2 and it's usually high on my list of favorites.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Guerilla

Member

Posts: 168

Joined: Jan 06, 2014

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Guerilla on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:15 pm

Because it put way too much emphasis on story and presentation to the detriment of gameplay without pulling off either one successfully.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Naroon on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:43 am

The critical reception and sales for the series has been decreasing ever since motherfucking The Room.You think that happened with no reason?


Meanwhile, Resident Evil 6 sold millions, and Call of Duty continues to top the charts and receive critical acclaim every year. Does that mean that those games were masterpieces, or even competent? Nope. Your argument is fundamentally flawed. Using the "critic" reviews to help defend your position that the latter games in the series are objectively worse is pretty silly logic when one considers that critical reviews are nothing more than the opinions of other human beings as well.

I'm not even really posting this to defend SM or the post-KCET games, but to point out the logical fallacies that people make, like the ones demonstrated in this guy's post. People are gonna like the games they like no matter what. When SH2 and 3 first came out, lots of fans hated on those games for not being what they expected. Of course later on, people came to their senses and opened up, and realized how silly it was to hate on something for not being what it never promised to be.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by devil hunter on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:21 am

It's also worth pointing out that Origins and Shattered Memories have a higher rating than The Room on Metacritic.

So, critical reception hasn't really been decreasing so much.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:19 am

devil hunter wrote:It's also worth pointing out that Origins and Shattered Memories have a higher rating than The Room on Metacritic.


Thanks for the reminder.... :x

:P But in all seriousness I thoroughly enjoyed this game, except for the fact that it was in an alternate timeline. I would have preferred they retained the original concept which was intended to be part of the same universe as the rest of the games.

To me it seems inevitable that the fanbase of SH will always find something to be scrupulous about when it comes to the newer games because of this perception that the first 3 games were infallible. I believe a large part of the high quality of the original SH games was not only from the game's good quality but the fact that these games were revolutionary and unique compared to other games back then. This also led to it receiving the high ratings it got.
I think it's also vehement towards the disbandment of team silent.

But some of the later entries have had noticeable problems, i.e. technical, etc. so the criticism in part isn't unaccounted for.

SM I don't think it bore any technical problems. I think it was the complete absence of combat and the irritating nightmare sequences. I think they should have been used a bit more sparingly.
 
 
 
 
 

Alice.Lawlor

User avatar

Posts: 27

Joined: Feb 14, 2015

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Alice.Lawlor on Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:41 pm

SM I don't think it bore any technical problems. I think it was the complete absence of combat and the irritating nightmare sequences. I think they should have been used a bit more sparingly.


And there you go! This is the main problem,
running around in this fucked up forest and not finding the exit even though you saw everything before!

AND I am also the opinion that there are many gamers out there, who actually don't care about a deep story. To be honest, I think SH3 is such a all-time-fave to most of the gamers because a high amount of them are male and it's simply cooler to kick asses in a sailor-moon-like costume or in a mini-skirt and a lightsaber than play a father of a child who calls his way out of a city and doesn't fight at all...

Same stuff with music:
good lyrics and maybe a pretty weird beat: gets like 5 fans
shitty lyrics or no lyrics at all and a beat which obviously delivers nothing but ass shaking: 30000000+ likes on youtube
:D

It's like my boyfriend said once: 'I don't listen to music or play games because of the intellectual progress, but to enjoy myself'
 
 
 
 
 
 

PMS_Akali

Member

Posts: 220

Joined: Sep 22, 2014

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by PMS_Akali on Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:01 pm

I think SM had the best story out of all the games post-Team Silent. The story had a lot of cool ideas. There was a ton wrong with this game, though. The game was completely empty. Zero enemies outside of those awful corridors. The Otherworld was terrible. Instead of warping a space into ice, it created these linear hallways that had no detail or design. There was no strategy or challenge. You just held up on the wii mote until you got through the hallways. Because there was only enemies during these boring chase sequences, there was nothing to be afraid of when you ran around the town.

For whatever reason, they added an ability to peek around doors. It didn't do anything since there were no enemies. It was obviously an idea early in development that never got used, and they forgot to take it out. They also had a hiding mechanic. It was also useless because the enemies could zero in on you and yank you out. Even if they never saw you, they know exactly where you are. Another idea they forgot to take out. They were also lazy with enemy design. They created one naked man creature and slightly tweaked his look.

The puzzles took no thought. They weren't even creative. Because the game was on the wii, they decided to make every puzzle use the wii mote. So instead of getting interesting poems or questions that made you think like in the old games, we now have to shake soda cans to find the key to the next area. Also, the controls for the wii version of SM were awful.

The psychological profile that everyone says is so godly, is just kinda okay. It's really not that amazing. Depending on how you answer the questions at the beginning, Cybil will either be a big breasted cop, or an ass. That girl at the school will either have a pink dress, or a brown dress. Most of the choices are just visual with no impact on story whatsoever. Even the ending is basically the same. Except the only difference is Harry will either be remembered as a loser, a sleaze ball, or a good dad.

There's plenty of reasons to hate this game. Instead of "Because Team Silent didn't make it" or my favorite "Because it's different". With that laundry list out of the way, I actually somewhat enjoyed SM. At least, I enjoyed the story. Much better game than Homecoming and Downpour, even if that's not saying a lot.
 
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by devil hunter on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:36 am

PMS_Akali wrote:. They were also lazy with enemy design. They created one naked man creature and slightly tweaked his look.


It was a concious decision, not because of laziness, but because of the way the game works. It makes perfect sense.

PMS_Akali wrote:The psychological profile that everyone says is so godly, is just kinda okay. It's really not that amazing. Depending on how you answer the questions at the beginning, Cybil will either be a big breasted cop, or an ass. That girl at the school will either have a pink dress, or a brown dress. Most of the choices are just visual with no impact on story whatsoever. Even the ending is basically the same. Except the only difference is Harry will either be remembered as a loser, a sleaze ball, or a good dad.


Those are not the only differences in the endings. Besides, that's the thing people like about it. It changes things during the game and not just the very ending.

Plus, you might say it affects the story too and not just visuals since people change.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Parvatii

Moderator

User avatar

Mind of Destructive Taste

Posts: 8653

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Parvatii on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:08 am

The enemies have symbolic gestures when they attack Harry....

REVEAL SPOILER
Its Cheryl trying to hold onto the last vestige of her father's memory.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Lord Zachariah

Member

User avatar

Bara Man

Posts: 203

Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Location: United States

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Lord Zachariah on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:28 am

Alice.Lawlor wrote:
SM I don't think it bore any technical problems. I think it was the complete absence of combat and the irritating nightmare sequences. I think they should have been used a bit more sparingly.


And there you go! This is the main problem,
running around in this fucked up forest and not finding the exit even though you saw everything before!

AND I am also the opinion that there are many gamers out there, who actually don't care about a deep story. To be honest, I think SH3 is such a all-time-fave to most of the gamers because a high amount of them are male and it's simply cooler to kick asses in a sailor-moon-like costume or in a mini-skirt and a lightsaber than play a father of a child who calls his way out of a city and doesn't fight at all...

Same stuff with music:
good lyrics and maybe a pretty weird beat: gets like 5 fans
shitty lyrics or no lyrics at all and a beat which obviously delivers nothing but ass shaking: 30000000+ likes on youtube
:D

It's like my boyfriend said once: 'I don't listen to music or play games because of the intellectual progress, but to enjoy myself'

If you're saying that SH3 doesn't have depth or a good story or as good a story as SM, imma have to stop you there. First off, Me and a bunch of other fans like Heather because she's a fairly competent and capable female character, not because of an easter egg that you arent supposed to get until beating the game and doing some extra shit. Secondly, SH3 is PACKED with way more symbolism than ShatMemz and, IMHO, a better story.

Thirdly, I rarely see SH3 being the all-time fav. It's nearly always 2.

I'm not saying ShatMemz is bad, I still love it, I just see SH3 overshadowed by 2 constantly and then see this and thats just my one pet peeve.
Heather is my spirit animal, and Alessa is my Stand.
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by devil hunter on Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:44 am

Purramid_Head wrote:The enemies have symbolic gestures when they attack Harry....

REVEAL SPOILER
Its Cheryl trying to hold onto the last vestige of her father's memory.


REVEAL SPOILER
Plus, enemies are featureless because they change as you go through Cheryl's memories, you get the idea about what kind of a man Harry was, so Raw Shocks go from blank slates to actually having features etc.


@Kitten, I think SH3 is only talked about the fact that it's the only game with the female protagonist these days and that's it.
 
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron