Madeontime2212

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Madeontime2212 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:16 pm

I understand that it is obviously completely different from the normal Silent Hill games... but I thought it was a brilliant way to branch off the game. I love the original SH games, and I (surprisingly) loved this game. It was different and I loved the eeriness of the psychological aspects of the game. The atmosphere (while totally different) was still creepy and very lonely. I thought the story was brilliant and well crafted.

I will admit that the chase/otherworld scenes did get a little old after a while
(Idk if anyone remembers.. but there was a part where
REVEAL SPOILER
You had to look for scenes in the High School maybe... but you had to go from to room and take a picture while being chased. Which was real fucking annoying.

I remember really enjoying the part in the woods.

Anyway, would love to get your opinions on why it was so widely disliked. Was it because some SH fans could take the drastic change, or is it really just a bad game?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm

I liked it a lot. I think people were just expecting something very different, and were disappointed. Some people value different things in the games. I'm sure many people hated the lack of actual fighting, or of the grimier looking Otherworld, etc.

I liked that puzzle you talk about in the spoiler, I didn't mind it. As long as I had flares, anyway...
ImageImage

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 pm

SM was very unique and I believe it was the most unique SH game right beside 4. It was also good start towards the psychological profile system which, I believed, was executed quite well. That is something that is very hard to pull off, and it did it well.

Gauss

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Gauss on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 pm

I love Shattered Memories, and it is probably my favorite Silent Hill. But it doesn't leave much room for theorizing.

Regarding the spoiler, I loved that part of the game. You had to be economical with running between points.
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 pm

fromelmstreet wrote:But it doesn't leave much room for theorizing.

Less fights. :P

Nah, I like the theorizing aspect of the SH series too.

LuLu

Delugeon

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by LuLu on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:30 pm

I think it was disliked because it was labeled as a re-imagining. I, too, think it was unnecessary to be deemed a re-imagining. I honestly think they should have just used completely new names for the characters because SM honestly has nothing to do with SH1 at all. It's like it's not even a re-imagining it's so different.

But I love SM. A lot. I've played it more than any other SH game aside from SH2. I think it was really well done, and I honestly wish the game were longer.

what

From behind the veil

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by what on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:32 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:I liked it a lot. I think people were just expecting something very different, and were disappointed.

Given the nature of many Silent Hill fans, I think a lot of people were disappointed because it was different.

I honestly think they should have just used completely new names for the characters because SM honestly has nothing to do with SH1 at all. It's like it's not even a re-imagining it's so different.

It took the same characters, same locations and same basic premise and did something very different with all three. Textbook example of a work, re-imagined.

devil hunter

Ghost

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by devil hunter on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:57 am

Like some other people said, some fans probably hated it because it was different. I agree with WhiteClaudia, it's pretty unique and an amazing game. I know this what I'm going to say is clice, stupid etc., I guess, but I think people would praise it as one of the best SH games ever if it was made by Team Silent.

nur_ein_tier wrote: I'm sure many people hated the lack of actual fighting,

Which is ironic because people complained about too much "action" (though I don't think it's so much action oriented) in Homecoming and it seems like some people complain about Downpour's, not sure which words I should use, let's say "old gameplay".

Madeontime2212

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Madeontime2212 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:54 am

devil hunter wrote:Like some other people said, some fans probably hated it because it was different. I agree with WhiteClaudia, it's pretty unique and an amazing game. I know this what I'm going to say is clice, stupid etc., I guess, but I think people would praise it as one of the best SH games ever if it was made by Team Silent.

nur_ein_tier wrote: I'm sure many people hated the lack of actual fighting,

Which is ironic because people complained about too much "action" (though I don't think it's so much action oriented) in Homecoming and it seems like some people complain about Downpour's, not sure which words I should use, let's say "old gameplay".

I agree. I feel, if it were made by team silent, people would have praised the game for his 'unique story and gameplay'. Honestly, I didn't mind the no fighting aspect. I would have preferred it (had this been a normal SH game), but I think it worked for this game. Especially cause my favorite part about any SH game is exploration. I liked the clunky fighting style within SH 1 2 and 3. 4 was just annoying to me. While Homecoming felt much to "actiony' for me.

Btw, your icon is fucking terrifying. I love it.

Parvatii

The Red God

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Parvatii on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:39 am

devil hunter wrote:

Homecoming allowed you to perform stunts such as dodge roll. Downpour's combat was intentionally broken and more irritating.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

inactive

unused

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by inactive on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:47 am

I find it a very regressive work... I am kind of only fond of the first two games nowadays but out of all that came after I personally find this game the most wildly convoluted failure. (post-4 SM is the one I have played and thought about most) It had potential to do more yet became just ugly, irritating and meaningless in quite an offensive way. As if it really is hell with no true reality to be found in the game; no spirituality and nothing but lies. Dr. K and Cheryl exist only as much as Harry and Silent Hill, which in the circumstances presented, not at all. The player's involvement too is worthless. Psychologically, metaphysically crippling. Unpleasant and graceless.

SHR:3D is at one end of the spectrum of SH's potential for bad and SM is at the other I think. I wish the series had had a better chance for evolution as the first two games are filled with untapped ideas and methods for original works using collage mentality.

devil hunter

Ghost

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by devil hunter on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:Homecoming allowed you to perform stunts such as dodge roll. Downpour's combat was intentionally broken and more irritating.

True, true, but I still don't think Homecoming is that much action oriented as some people claim, it is more action oriented, but I wouldn't compare it to games like Dead Space and later Resi games.

inactive wrote:I find it a very regressive work... I am kind of only fond of the first two games nowadays but out of all that came after I personally find this game the most wildly convoluted failure. (post-4 SM is the one I have played and thought about most) It had potential to do more yet became just ugly, irritating and meaningless in quite an offensive way. As if it really is hell with no true reality to be found in the game; no spirituality and nothing but lies. Dr. K and Cheryl exist only as much as Harry and Silent Hill, which in the circumstances presented, not at all. The player's involvement too is worthless. Psychologically, metaphysically crippling. Unpleasant and graceless.

Interesting, can you go more in detail with this? Not sure what you mean.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by CrazyCatLady on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:47 pm

Homecoming was the most action oriented out of the series, but I don't think anyone here has claimed it to be like Dead Space or RE. Granted, the earlier RE games were more survival horror than Homecoming was.

Parvatii

The Red God

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by Parvatii on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:34 pm

^Not sure. I struggled to survive in Homecoming.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

captain crowbar

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by captain crowbar on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:00 am

Partly because the main version was on the Wii.

Partly because it was a re-imagining :lol: , and fans of things hate reboots

Partly because it wasn't actually scary. Like, at all.

Partly because Harry (whom I like to call SHarry in this version) was such a scrub compared to the hammer of thor-wielding, god-killing manly man from SH1

idunno, I liked it. It's a rather respectable member of my Wii library. Fuck Sony. Fuck Microsoft. Fuck em all. Nintendo.

---

what

From behind the veil

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by what on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:51 am

devil hunter wrote:Interesting, can you go more in detail with this? Not sure what you mean.

Nor am I. Looks like a giant serving of word salad.

PEACETALKER

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:31 pm

I dunno, I think people took issue with the fact that its not scary like at all. Not even a little bit.

This is coming from a guy who absolutely loves this game. Its just not scary. At all.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by clips7 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:48 am

It's an ok game that is just mediorce for me....it's the least played because i just find the game boring. Even tho i played the other SH games multiple times, i just can't muster the energy to go thru this game multiple times. It's concept looked great on paper and the twist was great on your first playthrough, but the game for me wasn't a fun experience.

Weak otherworlds....weak monsters,...annoying chasing sequences and after that...drab exploration environments...the icy otherworlds consisted of scooby doo blue coloring palettes...etc. Idk..i can play SH3,4....homecoming and downpour multiple times, because they are at least still entertaining to play (strong otherworlds/characters/art design/story)...i find myself falling asleep playing SM and that's not a good thing...so again the concept looked good on paper, but i don't think everything transisted properly in-game.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

inactive

unused

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by inactive on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:20 am

the lack of ambiguity is insidious. fans of the game may interpret my complaints as praise perhaps since this is a 'horror' series and this is an apparently meta game but i really just find it such total garbage. its the like worst circle of postmodern irony with no or next to no redeeming aesthetics. as a 're-imagining' and all else it can't be extricated from the original and all that came before in culture to create it which makes its flaws glaring. it's so shallow, the whole experience. i've said it before, it's surreal in the worst lifeless way. im bothering to type here because maybe it is a way for me to be honest and understandwhy it is important for me to recognize what this kind of thing represents. i cant have a simple interpretation for it and the makers of the game, like, went through the trouble to make this kind of experience which acts at least like it is asking more from you. or is offering more. whatever though, not worth bothering with saying anything about it 100% its a mistake i forgive myself.

devil hunter

Ghost

Why do people bag on SM?

Post by devil hunter on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:19 am

inactive wrote:the lack of ambiguity is insidious. fans of the game may interpret my complaints as praise perhaps since this is a 'horror' series and this is an apparently meta game but i really just find it such total garbage. its the like worst circle of postmodern irony with no or next to no redeeming aesthetics. as a 're-imagining' and all else it can't be extricated from the original and all that came before in culture to create it which makes its flaws glaring. it's so shallow, the whole experience. i've said it before, it's surreal in the worst lifeless way. im bothering to type here because maybe it is a way for me to be honest and understandwhy it is important for me to recognize what this kind of thing represents. i cant have a simple interpretation for it and the makers of the game, like, went through the trouble to make this kind of experience which acts at least like it is asking more from you. or is offering more. whatever though, not worth bothering with saying anything about it 100% its a mistake i forgive myself.

OK...I gotta admit that I still have no idea what you're trying to say, it just looks like a bunch of words that don't really mean anything.

BillMurraylives wrote:I dunno, I think people took issue with the fact that its not scary like at all. Not even a little bit.

Ehh...same thing with SH 2 to me but I still love it. SM is a pure psychological horror game and I guess that's the problem.

Next

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories