Waverer

Member

User avatar

A Stray Child.

Posts: 483

Joined: Mar 06, 2011

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by Waverer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Well, well! First post. I look forward to more here. Anyways..

Atmosphere is a key element in conveying the emotion, largely fear, that we see in Silent Hill. We are introduced to several different "versions" of the Otherworld, each depending on who is seeing it.

The otherworld we know and fear from most of the games are the most disgusting; rusted, bloody, gore here and there, industrial scraping, clunking, and wailing in the background. This is the one I find most "frightening". The blood, gore, and the stench you imagine to go with it create such a feeling of nausea, the shock of seeing the remains of a once-living thing, perhaps human, sprayed all over the walls, tossed into the corners, etc. and the rust and neglect are just downright disturbing. Then there are the monsters, the in-your-face, horrendously ugly, deadly ones (I'm looking at you, Pyramd Head) and the ones that leave more to the imagination, like the Locker Monster (who is this? what is this? why is it chained up, what is its story?). If there is a hell, it can't be too far from the Otherworld of Silent Hill.

In Shattered Memories, however, we see a different Otherworld. We are introduced to a hostile, uninviting, yet eerily quiet and subtle world of ice. No movement, no life, save for the occasional Raw Shock assault. The bitter cold makes this world seem just as, if not more, dangerous; ghostly apparitions abound at every turn. This environment is quietly unsettling, whether you're in a dark, cramped video store or alone in the woods, unable to see three feet in front of you. I understand that this disappointed some people.

Which do you prefer? Which is more frightening? Do you think the icy world, or the gory nightmare compliments the plot better? Why?
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Wren

Member

User avatar

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Posts: 2643

Joined: Aug 20, 2010

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by Wren on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Welcome dear!

To answer your question, I'd have to say the rusty world.
But it's actually not an easy choice for me because something about the cold makes me feel like I'm going to die. I'm the only person I know that can be cold in the summer. Even outside. Yes, I'm a freak. :D

I think the ice world complimented the themes and mood of Shattered memories, but I would hope that they don't revisit it in future installments without careful consideration about it's symbolism and relevance to that game's plot.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT
 
 
 
 
 

aalvaradordz1

User avatar

Posts: 14

Joined: Feb 06, 2011

Location: Mexico

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by aalvaradordz1 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:28 pm

I haven't played Shattered Memories but in my opinion an icy otherworld isn't scary at all, it takes a lot of possibilities of creating a scary/disturbing atmosphere, even for creating monsters (just imagine if an undead mammoth will be good idea for Silent Hill xD). Bloody atmosphere has always characterized Silent Hill, that's what makes it scary and disturbing.

That's what I think.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Waverer

Member

User avatar

A Stray Child.

Posts: 483

Joined: Mar 06, 2011

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by Waverer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Wren wrote:Welcome dear!


Thank you! :)

I think the ice world complimented the themes and mood of Shattered memories, but I would hope that they don't revisit it in future installments without careful consideration about it's symbolism and relevance to that game's plot.


I think so too. SHSM was unique as a Silent Hill game so I don't think they'll be using the same elements in the future.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6819

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:25 pm

In SHSM I liked the use of ice, it seemed to reinforce the feeling of isolation and dead-ness/frozenness of everything. It worked well for the atmosphere of that game. Sure it wasn't scary, but I don't think it needed to be. The game was more disturbing/unsettling/sad than scary.

Overall though, I prefer the rust.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

aalvaradordz1

User avatar

Posts: 14

Joined: Feb 06, 2011

Location: Mexico

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by aalvaradordz1 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:34 pm

It seems that the use of ice was good in Shattered Memories, well I need to get a Wii and play it :D
Image
 
 
 
 
 

firecrest

Member

Posts: 216

Joined: Sep 27, 2007

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by firecrest on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:14 pm

I prefer the original Silent Hill's otherworld to that of Shattered Memories, but I prefer Shattered Memories' version over that of e.g. Silent Hill 3.

The difference is in how the otherworld is presented despite a common look-and-feel. The otherworld from the original was threatening. It was intentionally constructed so as to invoke fear from the player. On the other hand, I think Silent Hill 3, with its "birth" theme, was intended to be inviting in some sense. Vincent himself makes a notion of that sorts.

It's true enough that the Ice theme in Shattered Memories was not very frightening, but it may be possible to make it that way. I wouldn't mind if the developers revisited the Ice theme, but presented it in a different way.
 
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Posts: 6819

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Moeru makes a good point about presentation, yes. I think the question is less "What is better?" than "Which is more effective for the game?" And even though SH1 and SH3 have a similar look with the blood and rust, the overall feel is still different, and in SH3 it almost varies from one location to the next. Kind of like how it says in the Making of SH2 video about the design simultaneously repulsing and attracting the player.

Still, with SHSM, I don't think they were going for "scary," exactly.
ImageImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Wren

Member

User avatar

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Posts: 2643

Joined: Aug 20, 2010

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by Wren on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:47 pm

^I think it was a different kind of "scary" with SM.
It wasn't spooky or disturbing in the traditional sense; it was designed to make you want to desperately escape it.

So pretty much what everyone else said. :)

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT
 
 
 
 
 

Waverer

Member

User avatar

A Stray Child.

Posts: 483

Joined: Mar 06, 2011

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by Waverer on Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 am

It seems that the use of ice was good in Shattered Memories, well I need to get a Wii and play it :D


Indeed it was! Some parts are a bit frustrating but I think you'll like it. ;)

In SHSM I liked the use of ice, it seemed to reinforce the feeling of isolation and dead-ness/frozenness of everything. It worked well for the atmosphere of that game. Sure it wasn't scary, but I don't think it needed to be. The game was more disturbing/unsettling/sad than scary.


Still, with SHSM, I don't think they were going for "scary," exactly.


^I think it was a different kind of "scary" with SM.


REVEAL SPOILER
These I agree with as well. In Silent Hills 1 and 3 the fear was generated by partly an external force (a cult, monsters, etc) and partly yourself (how big a part your own mind played was debatable!). In Shattered Memories, it becomes clear that the only thing that is terrorizing Cheryl is Cheryl. In some cases the human mind can be a trickier thing to deal with than cults and monsters. It's a different kind of fear, one that sneaks up on you from within yourself; subtle. Ice projects subtlety. Therefore, the ice is quite fitting in my opinion. :)


It varies from person to person whether this is scarier than the bloody, gory Otherworld. It depends on what "messes" with you.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

HellFrozenJames

Member

Receiver of Wisdom

Posts: 220

Joined: Jun 10, 2010

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by HellFrozenJames on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 am

Well, I thought the ice was a great way to change it up and experiment a bit, blood and rust will always be the best. I mean, psychologically speaking, (and I wasn't the one who first pointed this out) blue is a calming color, looking at blue calms a person down. Whereas red is a very bright and vibrant color that tends to increase hyperactivity, and possibly even rile up the nervous system.
That, plus blood is awesome.
 
 
 
 
 
 

TraceBASS

Member

User avatar

Once A Metal Man, Still Eating Stars

Posts: 1632

Joined: Feb 23, 2010

Location: Australia

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by TraceBASS on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 am

aalvaradordz1 wrote:It seems that the use of ice was good in Shattered Memories, well I need to get a Wii and play it :D

I concur - especially since I once owned a Wii, and traded it in because there were no games worth buying on it until Shattered Memories came along. :lol: How ironic...

The Otherworlds presented in Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3 were useful, because they essentially represented, to me, the idea of the cult warping the spiritual power of the town, and using Alessa as a projector to create this hellish "paradise." It worked because it was designed to generally creep out, and induce fear into, the player.

Shattered Memories' Otherworld, however, works for it, specifically because it represents, again, to me, the idea of the harshness of the truth, and Cheryl's attempting to hide it from herself and continue to delude herself with the fantasy world that she built around herself, and how she thought her deceased father had been. It harmonises, and yet contrasts, nicely with the normal world, as the normal world has people living in it, providing a feeling of comfort, and no monsters - and yet it is still bitter cold, still dark (most of the time), and still quite solitary (most of the time). The chase-scenarios also provided some measure of fear, as Wren adequately put it:
Wren wrote:^I think it was a different kind of "scary" with SM.
It wasn't spooky or disturbing in the traditional sense; it was designed to make you want to desperately escape it.
I don't get mad; I get even - which isn't normal, for someone as odd as me.

~ TraceBASS
 
 
 
 
 

what

Moderator

User avatar

From behind the veil

Posts: 2322

Joined: May 21, 2009

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by what on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:17 pm

There's more than rust and ice in this series, you know.

Industrial decay and rust was prevalent in the first game, for the most part. I especially liked how, in the sequences in town, you still saw vestiges of normality, as if they were peeled away to reveal the industrial rot underneath. Maybe some socially-conscious theorist can extrapolate that into some boring treatise on the evils of technology and capitalism. Please don't do it in front of me, though.

The second game's Otherworld had almost none of that. When James went over, instead of rust and blood, he saw age and decay, and, of course, a repeal of the laws of physics. Look at Brookhaven. Underneath its nasty new veneer in the Otherworld, it's still easily identifiable as the same building. The changes are superficial compared to what Harry and Heather see. When you first enter Brookhaven, it looks a bit neglected and unused. After it shifts over, it looks like it has been abandoned for several decades. The same effect happens in the Hotel, though not quite so dramatically. Like the Hospital, a few parts do alter in appearance significantly, but mostly, it's just the motel, post-immolation.

Silent Hill 3's [otherside] varies a bit. Some of it looks like the industrial decay of the first game (the Amusement Park in particular), but huge chunks of it give the appearance of something organic and living (anybody who's seen Brookhaven's dark cousin in this game knows what I'm talking about[/i]. Blood seems to be more prevalent here than rust, whereas the first game, the opposite was true. Fitting, considering the underlying theme of the game.

The Room and Origins seemed to draw on all of the above and mixed them up. There's not much about it that's really consistent.

Then, finally, you have Shattered Memories and the ice.

That all being said, they all have their merits. I don't really have a favorite theme, per se, but the third game really did the most to make the [otherside] an active menace.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Waverer

Member

User avatar

A Stray Child.

Posts: 483

Joined: Mar 06, 2011

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by Waverer on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:55 pm

what wrote:There's more than rust and ice in this series, you know.

Industrial decay and rust was prevalent in the first game, for the most part. I especially liked how, in the sequences in town, you still saw vestiges of normality, as if they were peeled away to reveal the industrial rot underneath. Maybe some socially-conscious theorist can extrapolate that into some boring treatise on the evils of technology and capitalism. Please don't do it in front of me, though.

The second game's Otherworld had almost none of that. When James went over, instead of rust and blood, he saw age and decay, and, of course, a repeal of the laws of physics. Look at Brookhaven. Underneath its nasty new veneer in the Otherworld, it's still easily identifiable as the same building. The changes are superficial compared to what Harry and Heather see. When you first enter Brookhaven, it looks a bit neglected and unused. After it shifts over, it looks like it has been abandoned for several decades. The same effect happens in the Hotel, though not quite so dramatically. Like the Hospital, a few parts do alter in appearance significantly, but mostly, it's just the motel, post-immolation.


I chose to use SH1 and 3 as examples since SHSM is a "reimagining" of the original Silent Hill story. :) No capitalist themes here! That's not up my alley. Sounds paranoid to me :P


I really liked the Otherworld from SH2, it just complimented the themes and mood so well.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Silent_Lana

...

Posts: 33

Joined: Mar 31, 2011

Location: United Kingdom

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by Silent_Lana on Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:32 pm

pyramid head isnt ugly!

anyway i like the bloody one better cos with all the noises i cant tell weather its a monster or something else...
 
 
 
 
 
 

JaneTheNurse

Member

User avatar

Complete. Global. Masturbation.

Posts: 779

Joined: Mar 31, 2011

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by JaneTheNurse on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:28 am

I don't honestly find the blood, gore, rust, etc all that scary. I blame the news and knowing what goes on in the real world.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

JaneTheNurse

Member

User avatar

Complete. Global. Masturbation.

Posts: 779

Joined: Mar 31, 2011

Location: United States

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by JaneTheNurse on Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:31 am

Silent_Lana wrote:pyramid head isnt ugly!


He does, however, need a bath and some CLR.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

SilentHill

Posts: 8

Joined: May 24, 2011

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by SilentHill on Tue May 24, 2011 1:14 pm

Waverer wrote:Well, well! First post. I look forward to more here. Anyways..

Atmosphere is a key element in conveying the emotion, largely fear, that we see in Silent Hill. We are introduced to several different "versions" of the Otherworld, each depending on who is seeing it.

The otherworld we know and fear from most of the games are the most disgusting; rusted, bloody, gore here and there, industrial scraping, clunking, and wailing in the background. This is the one I find most "frightening". The blood, gore, and the stench you imagine to go with it create such a feeling of nausea, the shock of seeing the remains of a once-living thing, perhaps human, sprayed all over the walls, tossed into the corners, etc. and the rust and neglect are just downright disturbing. Then there are the monsters, the in-your-face, horrendously ugly, deadly ones (I'm looking at you, Pyramd Head) and the ones that leave more to the imagination, like the Locker Monster (who is this? what is this? why is it chained up, what is its story?). If there is a hell, it can't be too far from the Otherworld of Silent Hill.

In Shattered Memories, however, we see a different Otherworld. We are introduced to a hostile, uninviting, yet eerily quiet and subtle world of ice. No movement, no life, save for the occasional Raw Shock assault. The bitter cold makes this world seem just as, if not more, dangerous; ghostly apparitions abound at every turn. This environment is quietly unsettling, whether you're in a dark, cramped video store or alone in the woods, unable to see three feet in front of you. I understand that this disappointed some people.

Which do you prefer? Which is more frightening? Do you think the icy world, or the gory nightmare compliments the plot better? Why?


The Silent Hill games you love the most part it's Silent Hill Shattered Memories of the puzzle is too great and the feedback from the game
[img]http://farm3.anhso.net/upload/20110525/00/m/anhso-00617_shsm_complete_soundtrack_01.jpg[/img]
 
 
 
 
 

jamesmaria

User avatar

Posts: 10

Joined: Aug 28, 2010

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by jamesmaria on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:46 am

in my opinion they are equal in a few ways they both convey the mood of the story they have ties to the characters and events. although if you where to ask which is scarier i would have to say the rustic Otherwold for no other reason than it is creepy as hell (especially playing it for the first time) it is gory,bloody and obscene as you would normally image a silent hill environment i also enjoy the ice other world because every time i play the game i get the same feeling of loneliness , and despair as i did when i first played it. so i think that the best Otherwolrd over all depends on the experience the player would like to get from the telling of the story throughout the game. its up to you!
"James can fly!"
 
 
 
 
 

jamesmaria

User avatar

Posts: 10

Joined: Aug 28, 2010

Otherworldly atmosphere: Ice vs Blood

Post by jamesmaria on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:50 am

Waverer wrote:
what wrote:There's more than rust and ice in this series, you know.

Industrial decay and rust was prevalent in the first game, for the most part. I especially liked how, in the sequences in town, you still saw vestiges of normality, as if they were peeled away to reveal the industrial rot underneath. Maybe some socially-conscious theorist can extrapolate that into some boring treatise on the evils of technology and capitalism. Please don't do it in front of me, though.

The second game's Otherworld had almost none of that. When James went over, instead of rust and blood, he saw age and decay, and, of course, a repeal of the laws of physics. Look at Brookhaven. Underneath its nasty new veneer in the Otherworld, it's still easily identifiable as the same building. The changes are superficial compared to what Harry and Heather see. When you first enter Brookhaven, it looks a bit neglected and unused. After it shifts over, it looks like it has been abandoned for several decades. The same effect happens in the Hotel, though not quite so dramatically. Like the Hospital, a few parts do alter in appearance significantly, but mostly, it's just the motel, post-immolation.


I chose to use SH1 and 3 as examples since SHSM is a "reimagining" of the original Silent Hill story. :) No capitalist themes here! That's not up my alley. Sounds paranoid to me :P


I really liked the Otherworld from SH2, it just complimented the themes and mood so well.



i really enjoyed the SH2 Otherworld as well! in fact SH2 is my favorite of all the silent hills if only because of pyramid head :3
"James can fly!"
 
 
 
Next


Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest