sameday

Am I the only one...

Post by sameday on Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:38 pm

No what's sad about these endings,its either Harry's a drunk,pimp,wuss,or just normal.It didn't really feel anything or it didn't seem sad at the least bit.also finding out Harry's was dead the whole time.I thought was 'what? And that's it's I didn't feel bad for Heather/Cheryl

Brispir

Harmonica Playing Ninja

Am I the only one...

Post by Brispir on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:26 pm

I didn't feel too upset. I kinda saw it coming. The only thing I was really thinking was trying to mentally connect it to SH 1, as if this is Cheryl's version of what happened in SH1.

gothlolilunatic

Shadow Doll

Am I the only one...

Post by gothlolilunatic on Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:57 pm

I see Shattered Memories as an alternative interpretation of it, rather than actual canon. It's not so important to link it to SH 1.

And yes, I did almost cry.
http://inkedblue.tumblr.com/ <---- author blog
http://authonomy.com/writing-community/profile/c324c2b8-9b3e-4dd5-b7f6-6a896fb9e810/gothlolilunatic/ <----- Authonomy profile
I can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast

JaneTheNurse

Complete. Global. Masturbation.

Am I the only one...

Post by JaneTheNurse on Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:09 am

Being the child of a messy, prolonged divorce, the ending was a real slap in the face. I cried and felt awful for hours from the sheer amount of damage I realized I had going on.

ÆNEMA

Am I the only one...

Post by ÆNEMA on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:24 pm

JaneTheNurse wrote:Being the child of a messy, prolonged divorce, the ending was a real slap in the face. I cried and felt awful for hours from the sheer amount of damage I realized I had going on.
Something similar happened to a friend of mine; she had an absent father who only kept in contact with her when he needed to get to her sisters & couldn't any other way. She tried so hard to convince herself that he did actually care about her, though he did next to nothing to show it. When she finished the game she just started bawling & late told me the game made her realize that she, like Cheryl, really needed to let go of the image of her father that she had fabricated in her head.
Image PRAY YOUR LIFE WAS JUST A DREAM Ω THE CUT THAT NEVER HEALS

JaneTheNurse

Complete. Global. Masturbation.

Am I the only one...

Post by JaneTheNurse on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:49 am

BULLWORTHLESS wrote:
JaneTheNurse wrote:Being the child of a messy, prolonged divorce, the ending was a real slap in the face. I cried and felt awful for hours from the sheer amount of damage I realized I had going on.
Something similar happened to a friend of mine; she had an absent father who only kept in contact with her when he needed to get to her sisters & couldn't any other way. She tried so hard to convince herself that he did actually care about her, though he did next to nothing to show it. When she finished the game she just started bawling & late told me the game made her realize that she, like Cheryl, really needed to let go of the image of her father that she had fabricated in her head.

This is why I don't think Shattered Memories was some awful canon-raping piece of crap or whatever the haters think of it. I just can't hate something that's a part of me. Otherwise, what's the point?

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Am I the only one...

Post by Princess Kenny on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:18 pm

I didn't cry but I certainly felt the emotions of the scene.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

Dusty Motes

Am I the only one...

Post by Dusty Motes on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:03 am

Cheryl saying, "I love my daddy!" always makes me sad. The ending is sad, and I think I may have cried the first few times I played. [I played more times than I can count over the years] But in reality Harry is a pretty shit father in this game. I guess it depends on which ending you get. But the comments that he says when my camera accidentally catches on something make me feel like he's kinda gross. When I had it caught on a number on the wall, he was all like, "Tammyyy~" in a sly voice and I'm like what Harry no you're looking for your daughter there's no time for that what. But again it's probably for the different endings, still though! I get more upset over the fact that Cheryl wants his love and presence so badly, she wants to believe he was a great man and that her mother was to blame, which isn't true. The real tragedy is everything about Cheryl. She hardly had any screen time and yet she was one of my favorite characters [next to Dahlia], I felt like I could relate with her and I think that was the point. I'm probably gonna mention this again, but it'd be amazing if somehow they arranged the story to where we could play as Cheryl instead

SLDT

Am I the only one...

Post by SLDT on Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:21 pm

I didn't cry, either, but the twist ending was one of the best I've ever seen. None of it clicked until I was already halfway down the last hallway in the Lighthouse Clinic, and even then, the final reveal that the person receiving therapy was actually Cheryl the whole time still threw me for a loop.

ThanatosXI9

Am I the only one...

Post by ThanatosXI9 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:56 am

One of my favorite things about Shattered Memories, is something most people don't agree with. I really loved the mementos. Hunting and finding them, giving you a bit more of a reason to explore the areas. I wish more SH games implemented this.
"The desire for suicide diminishes as soon as one's life is in danger, their survival instinct then overtakes them."

Deadalux

Am I the only one...

Post by Deadalux on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:27 am

I didn't cry to THIS game. I cried to Silent Hill 2's Water and Rebirth endings.
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Am I the only one...

Post by CrazyCatLady on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:35 am

Whenever you ask "Am I the only one?" you can rest assured that the answer is most likely "no". Especially with this. I think a lot of people did. I did.

Deadalux

Am I the only one...

Post by Deadalux on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:16 am

I have to say, though, it is a touching ending. A nice end for the game. The different endings are all emotional.
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Am I the only one...

Post by clips7 on Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:17 am

No game has ever made me cry, get choked up etc. I have felt the emotion at the time tho. SM ending was a great twist, but it didn't move anything in me.

I did like the intro with the old video tape that had Alessa saying "i love my daddy"... that in conjunction with the small touch they added with harry early on in the game in which he yells "Cheryl...we are are you sweetie?" I like small touches like that, because it makes the character feel more fully realized and it displayed a true sense of how a father would be addressing his daughter in trying to search for his little girl.

For me it greatly magnified Harry's plight in his search for his little girl...little heartfelt touches like that make you have a connection for the said character and establishes a connection and as a result you have players that are emotionally involved and are "rooting" for the main character to find his daughter, rather than having a static character generically looking for a missing person.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

frostfire

That thing in the corner

Am I the only one...

Post by frostfire on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:01 am

I didn't cry. I balled.
I dunno why but this is one of the saddest endings in the series.
The moment harry walks in the door and "acceptance" starts up, you know it's gonna hurt.
Huh? Radio? What's going on with that radio?
Four seconds later...
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Am I the only one...

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:32 pm

I just finished it last night and it left me feeling pretty emotionally drained. I got the "Wicked and Weak" ending which hit me in the way that it felt like a glimpse into my future. My dad has brought up a few times with me an instance in which my mom came home drunk and assaulted him to the point where the cops ended up being involved, so I fear history might repeat itself with me. I also have writing aspirations so some of Dahlia's remarks hit me little harder.

Other moments in the game really hit the nail on the head when it came to broken families, like the phone call where Dahlia is criticizing Harry's parenting when he's giving her sweets. It just reminds me of how I always feel like whenever I see my mother, she's trying to make herself look better or as good as my dad.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

jam6i

Am I the only one...

Post by jam6i on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:11 am

It definitely can pack a punch if you aren't expecting it, or haven't quite figured it out yet. I didn't cry, but it did make me go "whoa.....awesome.

I can't claim I figured it out before going to the lighthouse, because I didn't. I mean, i knew something was really off anout halfway through, but just didn't know what. And it all comes together in a nice, closed-ended way.

It's an excellent story.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Am I the only one...

Post by Rodox_Head on Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:31 am

@jam6i

Funny thing is I already knew the big twist at the end, but I was still immersed enough that I still felt all the emotion.
REVEAL SPOILER
Hell, at times I did think that Harry was the one in therapy.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Silenthill4life

Am I the only one...

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:27 am

I found the final conversation between Harry and Cheryl to be very touching. What was moving was that you could tell Harry's voice was full of regret for not having been there for Cheryl in her dark times growing up, but that in the end she needed to let go, because it was for the best.

The bit after when she reunites with her mother was a soothing after-touch to that bitter sweet departure she had from her dad. It softly spoke of how she will get better and won't be alone anymore despite her "dad" (or this sub-conscious father figure) not being around for her. .

It's never an easy thing when a parent has to say goodbye to their child for the last time (the last of us showcased this the best).

Previous

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories