Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

How Silent Hill: Shattered Memories could have been better

Post by Otherworld on Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:31 pm

@Guerilla

It is no surprise that SM's ratings suggest that the game was a decent title. When comparing it to the ratings of other SH titles it is quite clear that the game was put together rather well. This is due to the fact that the narrative was rock solid.

Solid ratings on a game that is lacking in the gameplay department ???

^ This is true to a degree for all SH games with decent ratings. As far as gameplay is concerned SH did not do anything revolutionary. What SH1 did do is scare, confuse, and ensure that while playing it you said to yourself countless times, " What the fuck? " and " Oh Shit! ". Being able to explore had nothing to do with it. There are many times you were not able to explore as some areas around town become to dangerous to do so. Like when Harry opens the door on Levin street and everything goes black. We all know you better get your ass to Midwich quick.

The narrative was cloaked in a dark cloud of mystery..... Oh, guess what....... Harry is running around a dark mysterious fog filled town not knowing what the hell is going on with no idea where his daughter is. You see, the narrative and gameplay go hand in hand. That is what makes Silent Hill....... Silent Hill.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:49 pm

@Otherworld: Ratings discussions again? Ratings are not the end all, be all determinating factor of game quality. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1 & 2 both have higher ratings on GameRankings than all versions of SH2. So by your logic, does that mean those games than SH2? It's why I don't put much stock in game ratings. Otherwise, I'd miss out on so many great games. Hell, if I listened to game ratings, I never would have played Downpour. And that game, despite its flaws was a breath of fresh air in an industry in which genuine survival horror had taken a back seat to horror shooters like FEAR, Dead Space, RE4-6, etc.

@Honey: No, no, no, no, no, hell fucking no. QTEs should never be used a plot movers because they're on screen gimmicky nonsense that only serves to deprive control from the player. If there's one thing I'm tired of in modern gaming, it's the overreliance on QTEs for "cool moments". They are not the least bit necessary to convey story. The much overrated SH2 managed to get its story across without QTEs, did it not? So it is possible. I don't feel any more immersed in a story or game if I'm doing is a glorified Simon Says simulator. We'll save the David Cage criticisms for another day. That guy deserves several torn assholes for his absent minded approach to gameplay design and horrid writing.

@Pur: No, if anything suggesting story is more important in a medium like video games which thrives on player interaction is more pretentious. You could make this argument for films and novels because the audience doesn't play a part in the progression of the story beyond watching/reading it. Video games, however, focus on player interaction, and player interaction relies on gameplay. Nothing pretentious about it. It's just common sense. And no, being an RPG is no excuse to focus more on story. RPGs have gameplay, too. As a matter of fact, RPGs should be focused on gameplay because by its definition it's a concept about picking your role and playing the game by it. That concept demands gameplay diversity and player choice. You don't really get that kind of gameplay out of stuff like Final Fantasy VII when you look at other games like Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall. Or take a look at Dark Souls as well. Main draw is the gameplay. You pick your player class and you play the game how you want. That's what RPGs should be.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:21 pm

Ratings are not the end all, be all determinating factor of game quality.

It is very clear that, to you, the determining, be all, end all factor of game quality is your own personal preferences and biases, and to hell with anyone who doesn't share them.

There isn't much reason to keep this thread open any longer. This is not a discussion, but a harangue.

Previous

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories