Whitney

Partner

Silent Hill Historical Society Curator

PS2 Version of Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Post by Whitney on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:52 am

I got my hands on the PS2 version today and I got to say I was disappointed in the graphics :( A lot of the details present in the wii version were completely missing. For example most of the ice wasn't transparent, lots of shadows and character details missing. I understand that a lot of that sort of stuff had to be cut done to get a streaming game but it was a little shocking the difference in quality compared to the wii.

Overall I thought the controls were nicely transferred from the wii and oo boy are the echo photos so hard not to miss in the ps2 version! Gonna try the psp version tomorrow. I've put up some screens and a PS2 game play video on my site if anyone is interested:

http://shshatteredmemories.com/ps2-vers ... -memories/
My Websites!
Image Image Image

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:29 pm

I watched your video on YT. I think too that the difference in graphics is a bit shocking... :o If you look at it generally it's ok, but if you are looking for the detail... there quite a few things missing. Some textures and environment and character details gone. But what really looks weird to me is the colours... Dunno. They look too "greeny" and pale or something - generally quite bad. The PS2 version is 1/4 the size of the Wii version... I think that's indicative of how many things (graphics related at least) should be missing. But I don't want to be too harsh, I'll wait some days and play it on the console normally when I leave for holidays again - now I took a look at the emulator and it looked pretty bad visually... Maybe it is an emulator-related problem or 'cause the videos on the web are converted and lose some quality... But I kinda doubt it...
The question is if it will be lacking textures 'cause the console can't handle them or if they didn't care too much. :roll:
Other than that I guess it will be an ok port (the controls seem to be good)... :|
Last edited by Silent Wanderer on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:48 pm.

achtung

Post by achtung on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Well. I've seen videos of the PS2 version... and the graphics really took a hit compared to the Wii version... Harry looks pale without any skin marks, wrinkles, self-shadowing, low polygon count etc... The Wii version really looks like a generation ahead.

Still they managed to put all of the content the Wii version had and that's good ;)

Also I've heard the PS2 version is based on the PSP version like SH Origins... maybe that's the problem... :?:

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:55 pm

achtung wrote:Also I've heard the PS2 version is based on the PSP version like SH Origins... maybe that's the problem... :?:

Well, I think that Origins had pretty cool graphics... Especially compared to this. I don't know what to think... I just have the feeling that it could be better. :| And, anyway, even if it was based on the PSP version the similarities would have probably been in gameplay and not graphics.
I'm glad I played the Wii version. :D But then again it may spoil the experience of this one as it was better... :( I still think I'll enjoy it though. I'll play it for the different controls and stuff, if I need my graphics fix I'll play the Wii version. :)

REVEAL SPOILER
No shading?? Rofllllll :shock: Oh, come on... :lol:

elemenT

Post by elemenT on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Well, there are some other differences not graphic related. (Dunno if numbers 2 or 3 are considered spoilers. just alert me if they are, i will edit asap).
    1. The maintenance showing Jimmy Capra's number, the poster fills the whole shelf on ps2.
    2. Cheryl wears a necklace on PS2, not Wii
    3. The cutscene after the bridge collapse. On PS2, Cybil leaves footprints in the snow, on wii she doesnt (does that count? ;))
    4. Lisa's nametag on PS2 says Lisa Garland, but on Wii it only says Lisa
    5. On ps2 the boat after the amusement park does not have a name, unlike the Wii version which names it The Orpheus.

Can anyone find any others? I havent played the wii version yet, only ps2 :/

Fungo

Silent Hill Media Master

Post by Fungo on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:50 pm

The Wii version is superior, but I'd recommend the PSP version. Just avoid the PS2 version, it's glitchy.
The Greatest Time is now!

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:03 pm

Fungo wrote:The Wii version is superior, but I'd recommend the PSP version. Just avoid the PS2 version, it's glitchy.

The only thing I noticed and can remember in the PS2 version is minor loads when opening doors/changing environments. And I remember Ratio saying his Wii version crashed and that there are screen de-centering issues (the target moving at the edges of the screen and making moving quite impossible or at least very difficult and laggy - I sure witnessed that when playing it on the PC but I think it's also a console issue).

HellFrozenJames

Receiver of Wisdom

Post by HellFrozenJames on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:01 am

achtung wrote:Also I've heard the PS2 version is based on the PSP version like SH Origins... maybe that's the problem... :?:

No, the PS2 version is really weird. Most of the items, or interactive objects like keys, or those jackets in the store near the beginning, and the mementos were taken straight from the PSP version... The character models are even weirder because a couple of them, like Michelle's pink dress outfit looks like it's taken straight from the PSP version, but most of the character models look a LOT better on the PS2 than the PSP version. A couple of them I'd even say look as good as on the Wii.
The backgrounds are the most different, in all 3 versions. I've made some really close examinations of the various Wii, PS2 and PSP backgrounds, and they're all VERY different, like each was created from scratch. There are some things on the Wii that are kind of downscaled on the PSP, and are completely different on the PS2 altogether.
It's interesting to see, because it's weird how they just decided to mix and match some things, and create the levels from scratch.

hihofai

Friendly + Smily

Post by hihofai on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:18 am

What you can expect from PS2?
Of course it's poorer in quality of graphic compared to Wii..
Wii is more like almost near to PS3 standard... =.='

HellFrozenJames

Receiver of Wisdom

Post by HellFrozenJames on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:42 pm

hihofai wrote:Wii is more like almost near to PS3 standard... =.='

Naw, Wii is far from having the graphical capabilities of the PS3, it IS more powerful than either Xbox or the GameCube, and both of those were more powerful than the PS2, so yeah, it is quite a bit ahead.
If I had to compare, I'd say the Wii graphically compares to the PS2 the same way that Dreamcast compared to the PS1. But that still means there's a significant difference and to be upset that the PS2 version looks worse than the Wii version is unreasonable. Shattered Memories is easily one of the best looking Wii games I have ever seen.
And if you look at the PS2 version on its own, it still looks really good. Maybe not as good as SH2, 3 or 4, but I'd say better than the average PS2 game.

Alppu90

Post by Alppu90 on Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:36 am

Guess what people... PSP version has way more details than PS2 version. So, I'm pretty disappointed to the graphics on the PS2 version. IMO PSP version has also a little bit better graphics.

REVEAL SPOILER
For example the fish with memento in sewers has iron bars in front of the big pipe in PSP version. In PS2 version, the whole bars system was removed. Strange, isn't it? And this was just one of the many medium size differences between PSP and PS2.

So, is PSP more powerful platform than PS2...? Should I also say that PSP version has pretty closely the same content with Wii version?

Yep, I agree with Fungo. Don't buy PS2 version of SH:SM.

But this game lacks with shadows. They are too black, has sharp edges and cover some objects, for exampe you can't see the money in a cash register or items in a shelf with flashlight on. I mean properly, partly maybe.
"The lock is broken. I can't open the door." - The doors of Silent Hill

HellFrozenJames

Receiver of Wisdom

Post by HellFrozenJames on Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:35 pm

No, the PS2 version's graphics are definitely better. All those things that are missing are really weird, because comparing the Wii, PS2 and PSP versions, it looks like the levels were created from scratch for all three versions. So the PS2 version isn't a port of the Wii version, and the PSP version isn't a port of the PS2 version. Levels were all made from scratch, which is why the detail inconsistencies are there. The chraracters in the PS2 version are weird though, because some of them definitely look like they were taken from the Wii version, albeit with lower texture resolutions and maybe lack of specular maps and such, but then other character models were taken straight from the PSP version, like Michelle's pink dress outfit. Still most of them definitely look better than in the PSP version. I did a thorough comparison, playing both games at the exact same time.

hairymason

Sweet sweet lovin'

Post by hairymason on Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:11 am

I am speaking as a layman here, but it seems like they could have planned for this of it was gonna release on 3 consoles. By the by, I was just playing SH4 onPS3 & the graphics went nuts, so I'm just curious if you guys were using the PS2 to play it or the 3?
No more questions! We have Rosemary!

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:10 pm

I own both versions (as in, not the Wii) and the PSP version is considerably superior in terms of graphics, primarily because it's optimized for a particular display. I also found that the text on billboards and signs was far easier to read on the PSP. They both exhibit multiple glitches and truly awful shadow effects.

HellFrozenJames

Receiver of Wisdom

Post by HellFrozenJames on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 pm

what wrote:I own both versions (as in, not the Wii) and the PSP version is considerably superior in terms of graphics, primarily because it's optimized for a particular display. I also found that the text on billboards and signs was far easier to read on the PSP. They both exhibit multiple glitches and truly awful shadow effects.

Are you playing it on a normal TV? Or on an HDTV? Cause with component cables, on an LCD screen, it looks much better than on the PSP.
Another thing I like about the PS2 version is that it autodetects whether you have Widescreen or not, and adjusts the graphics based on it.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:54 pm

I have played it on an LCD computer monitor using a VGA adapter, and LED HDTV using both that and component video alternately. None of them looked as good as the PSP version.

HellFrozenJames

Receiver of Wisdom

Post by HellFrozenJames on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Well, I find that they do. Like I said, comparing them side by side. As far as I can see, the PS2 version does have a higher texture resolution for the levels, as it should be.

HarryJamesMason

Post by HarryJamesMason on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Whitney wrote:I got my hands on the PS2 version today and I got to say I was disappointed in the graphics :( A lot of the details present in the wii version were completely missing. For example most of the ice wasn't transparent, lots of shadows and character details missing. I understand that a lot of that sort of stuff had to be cut done to get a streaming game but it was a little shocking the difference in quality compared to the wii.

Overall I thought the controls were nicely transferred from the wii and oo boy are the echo photos so hard not to miss in the ps2 version! Gonna try the psp version tomorrow. I've put up some screens and a PS2 game play video on my site if anyone is interested:

http://shshatteredmemories.com/ps2-vers ... -memories/

You want to see something worse? Play the PSP version of Shattered Memories. Its rife with graphical glitches, and some ridiculous loading points. Talking about during dialogue it loads

JenniferCarroll

I'm Awesome. That is all!

Post by JenniferCarroll on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:25 am

I think it's pretty obvious that the PS2/PSP version isn't going to be as nice as Wii since there less powerful systems. I've played other games ported from a newer system like 360 or Wii. Generally speak this one is VERY well ported. I didn't feel like they didn't care about the graphics at all while playing it (not in any obvious way... *see some of the ports from 360 for comparison. Particularly the Call of Duty ports...can't remember the specific one.*)

Arguing as to which is better PSP or PS2 I can't really say... Though I do notice PS2 ports are generally better then PSP. For instance Origins is better looking on PS2 then PSP (not that it's a port from a better system but I digress)... I own both so...I compared. lol. I don't own PSP SH:SM but I would assume the deal is fairly the same though perhaps subtler.
Formerly known as Emmychan.

sgtcrispy

Post by sgtcrispy on Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:49 pm

One thing I've noticed is that the ps2 version seemed to be very glitchy when played on a PS3. Audio looping, lock ups, ect ect.
I don't remember any problems when using a ps2 instead of a ps3.
I assume most of you are using a ps2 to play but I thought I'd mention it.
I never played it on a Wii, but I'll go with the better controls instead of better graphics.

imho

Next

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories