AlchemillaHsospital

Mental Well-Being etc.

Talk among fellow members about happenings going on with you.
rodox_head

Mental Well-Being etc.

Post by rodox_head »

A thread for any mental health related discussions, something a bit less casual than the "How Are You?" thread.
:medi: :health:
I've been recently entertaining the idea of keeping something of a journal, but written as if it were two different extensions of myself communicating with each other. Has anyone heard of something like this as a form of therapy? I've wondered if it could help fine-tune how I perceive my own thoughts through them. I've always found the traditional style of writing a journal to be mostly redundant, at least in my experience. Talk therapy is also another viable option, but has its own hurdles to cross in order to start.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Otherworld

Re: Mental Well-Being etc.

Post by Otherworld »

I think that's a great idea. It might help to organize your thoughts on paper.

This pandemic has affected in ways I would not have thought.

The way I constantly keep things way to clean right now seem to be unhealthy if that makes sense......
I'm going to town either way.
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

rodox_head wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:23 am A thread for any mental health related discussions, something a bit less casual than the "How Are You?" thread.
:medi: :health:
I've been recently entertaining the idea of keeping something of a journal, but written as if it were two different extensions of myself communicating with each other. Has anyone heard of something like this as a form of therapy? I've wondered if it could help fine-tune how I perceive my own thoughts through them. I've always found the traditional style of writing a journal to be mostly redundant, at least in my experience. Talk therapy is also another viable option, but has its own hurdles to cross in order to start.
I had the opportunity to have classes with awesome minds that know about it. I think prof. Ivan Izquierdo mention about this either - unfortunatelly he have past away already. They say it must be at list two of us inside our brains! As long the point of the classes wasn't therapy, we talk about it, of course. This is still in research, but obviously than more we know about ourselfs than easier any therapy, even traditional. The therapist depends on dialogue, means you have to know yourself and know how to communicate.

My advice, go deep on this, it worth it! However, be careful with bad science, there is always bad people around this kind of subject. There is no miracle, only science - it's what we got for sure.
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good thread. I dunno. I've joined a schizoid personality disorder related discord run by youtuber SchizoidAngst, and that has been enormously helpful but that's also because I am previously diagnosed and have years of therapy behind me. The mental health field and the way treatment is implemented and access to treatment definitely leaves a lot to be desired, and many people have bad experiences. Still, I also have friends who work in the field and that gives me hope. But it takes time to even get a correct diagnosis. I think education is important, awareness, visibility, just learning more about things you have can be helpful. I like HealthyGamerGG channel on YouTube, Dr. K, who is a Harvard trained psychologist or something and does shit on Twitch and talks to streamers as well as regular people who play video games, which is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HealthyGamerGG
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

Otherworld wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 pm This pandemic has affected in ways I would not have thought.
The way I constantly keep things way to clean right now seem to be unhealthy if that makes sense......
I think that's fair, It just depends on how far you take it. As long as it doesn't become alienating or induce severe panic. Do you think it does?
LostInTheFog wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:39 pm I had the opportunity to have classes with awesome minds that know about it. I think prof. Ivan Izquierdo mention about this either - unfortunatelly he have past away already. They say it must be at list two of us inside our brains! As long the point of the classes wasn't therapy, we talk about it, of course. This is still in research, but obviously than more we know about ourselfs than easier any therapy, even traditional. The therapist depends on dialogue, means you have to know yourself and know how to communicate.

My advice, go deep on this, it worth it! However, be careful with bad science, there is always bad people around this kind of subject. There is no miracle, only science - it's what we got for sure.
I've seen other iterations of this line of thought, from Freud's "Id, Ego, Superego" theory to Jung's "Shadow, Ego, Self, Anima/Animus" theory, the latter of which I find more believable and inspired me to further attempt psychoanalyzing myself. It's a bit liberating to find improvement in how you understand yourself but terrifying at the same time to think no one else would. I'm intrigued to find out more about this idea of at least 2 different people in ourselves. For me, admitting that I view myself in that way to other people comes with the fear of people thinking I'm nuts, or worse, a threat of some kind.
admin wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:59 am Good thread. I dunno. I've joined a schizoid personality disorder related discord run by youtuber SchizoidAngst, and that has been enormously helpful but that's also because I am previously diagnosed and have years of therapy behind me. The mental health field and the way treatment is implemented and access to treatment definitely leaves a lot to be desired, and many people have bad experiences. Still, I also have friends who work in the field and that gives me hope. But it takes time to even get a correct diagnosis. I think education is important, awareness, visibility, just learning more about things you have can be helpful. I like HealthyGamerGG channel on YouTube, Dr. K, who is a Harvard trained psychologist or something and does shit on Twitch and talks to streamers as well as regular people who play video games, which is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/c/HealthyGamerGG
I've watched some of his videos before, good to know he's recommended. I've also watched some of Dr. Grande's videos, mostly his older ones that more plainly describe psychological disorders, but might start watching his more current ones to possibly figure out other analysis techniques. Internet psychologists can be an iffy rabbit hole, also why I refuse to ever see a therapist if it isn't in person. While more in the vein of philosophy, watching videos by Contrapoints I think has also improved/widened my perceptions. I've certainly had experience with therapy before, mostly in high school when my parents were more in control of it, and some as an adult but it didn't really go too well.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

rodox_head wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:50 am
Otherworld wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:35 pm This pandemic has affected in ways I would not have thought.
I think that's fair, It just depends on how far you take it. As long as it doesn't become alienating or induce severe panic. Do you think it does?
Nothing like panic. it is just a sticking point for me right now. It's just something I cannot shake yet. I hope to be able to let it go eventually.
I'm going to town either way.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rodox_head wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:50 am I've watched some of his videos before, good to know he's recommended. I've also watched some of Dr. Grande's videos, mostly his older ones that more plainly describe psychological disorders, but might start watching his more current ones to possibly figure out other analysis techniques. Internet psychologists can be an iffy rabbit hole, also why I refuse to ever see a therapist if it isn't in person. While more in the vein of philosophy, watching videos by Contrapoints I think has also improved/widened my perceptions. I've certainly had experience with therapy before, mostly in high school when my parents were more in control of it, and some as an adult but it didn't really go too well.
Yeah, I trust my friend's opinion and she is a counselor. I wouldn't want to do online therapy myself either though. And Dr gtande's older videos are all taken from the official literature, DSM, ISV, etc (DSM is US I think? and ISV is elsewhere, might be getting some letters wrong). I watch his newer stuff because he posts fairly often and it's something to put on while i make tea or coffee in the morning along with some news, but I can't get into his Bella Grande Media true crime podcasts so much, too long and talky, just not feeling it, sorry Dr G.

I'm still trying to find a cactus to buy and name after him to put in my videos though.

ContraPoints is so good but she takes so long between videos. But it's a quality/quantity issue. I know, but it still saddens me. XD I have stolen some makeup looks from her, at least in part, wearing eyeshadow under the eyes too.

As for myself, currently working on a video on mental health stigma with a focus on stigmatizing NPD and BPD and the ethics thereof. Like, if these mental illnesses are known for people suffering from them inflicting suffering on others in a lot of cases, how do we talk about that without stigmatizing mental health care and without alienating the people who suffer from them (and they do suffer, or they wouldn't be inflicting suffering on others). So I'm gonna be a week late on my video from working on it too much, and being on podcast with Whitney et al about the Silent Hill movie (off topic, but you know) which was fun and I will post when she has it edited!

I'm in a less good place mentally this week than I was last week, and after talking with some people on YT and being all optimistic about shit last week too! just need to kinda power through shit. my therapist told me it's okay to feel my feelings, but i am notoriously bad at that.
LostInTheFog

Post by LostInTheFog »

admin wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:54 pm
As for myself, currently working on a video on mental health stigma with a focus on stigmatizing NPD and BPD and the ethics thereof. Like, if these mental illnesses are known for people suffering from them inflicting suffering on others in a lot of cases, how do we talk about that without stigmatizing mental health care and without alienating the people who suffer from them (and they do suffer, or they wouldn't be inflicting suffering on others). So I'm gonna be a week late on my video from working on it too much, and being on podcast with Whitney et al about the Silent Hill movie (off topic, but you know) which was fun and I will post when she has it edited!
Can't wait to see it, but take your time. Deep subject!
I'm in a less good place mentally this week than I was last week, and after talking with some people on YT and being all optimistic about shit last week too! just need to kinda power through shit. my therapist told me it's okay to feel my feelings, but i am notoriously bad at that.
Humm, there is some forbidden words here... but thought your therapist would like it!
For me, admitting that I view myself in that way to other people comes with the fear of people thinking I'm nuts, or worse, a threat of some kind.
We are experiencing a time of interactivity and creation of spaces as never seen before in human history. This is creating gaps between people, in accelerated speed. We will either jump to a next level or to kill ourselfs by total different understanding of the cosmos and self. So, don't worry, join my club of crazy people...
"Killing a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head... pow!"
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

Looking forward to the NPD/BPD video :)
Otherworld wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:58 pm Nothing like panic. it is just a sticking point for me right now. It's just something I cannot shake yet. I hope to be able to let it go eventually.
Noticing it is a good start, best of luck on that. I know for myself the past couple years have left me with a great fear of vulnerability and has started to manifest in some OCD like behaviors.
LostInTheFog wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:13 am
For me, admitting that I view myself in that way to other people comes with the fear of people thinking I'm nuts, or worse, a threat of some kind.
We are experiencing a time of interactivity and creation of spaces as never seen before in human history. This is creating gaps between people, in accelerated speed. We will either jump to a next level or to kill ourselfs by total different understanding of the cosmos and self. So, don't worry, join my club of crazy people...
I guess I can see that, since due to the kind of isolation the internet age can bring, it's easy to misunderstand how others can fall into certain facets of thought. I suppose my case isn't so drastic though, but when your journey through self discovery primarily started by analyzing your mental relationship with erotica, and thusly much of it circles back to that in some way, it's probably best to keep most of it under your hat. I think I've made peace with that, but the insecurity lingers. It all reminds me of a Simpsons quote:
"Too crazy for boy's town, too much of a boy for crazy town"
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

rodox_head wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:46 pm Looking forward to the NPD/BPD video :)
I started recording last night but was too tired to finish, will try for this Friday. In the meantime, here are my thoughts on an episode of Vice/Paris Hilton show Hollywood Love Story, the episode dealing with a young woman named Maddy who is an artist and has borderline PD:

Copypasta from my SpaceHey blog:
I just want to say that I have gained respect for Paris Hilton because she really has discarded her ditzy persona and even though this is reality TV, it deals with real people like this person with borderline personality disorder, and personality disorders have very little visibility in the world of "neurotypicals." She is doing this thing with Vice, I guess, which just has profiles of people and their struggles but I thought this one was good for mental illness visibility and humanizes the person for the viewer, rather than making it seem like just a scary list of symptoms. As a Cluster A (schizoid) person, I have little understanding of Cluster B (borderline, histrionic, narcissistic, antisocial) in this way so I found it to be a good exercise in empathy. I watched the "space fairy" one, the cute Black girl with the green hair, but found the episode less compelling, though also depressing. More concerned with the mental illness awareness aspect here in this particular episode.
I don't know how to add the capability of embedding in the forum yet but here is a link to the full episode on YT, it's also on Vice TV's site where they offer 30 minute passes to watch whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q03DHweKy4