AlchemillaHsospital

Extreme X / 10 star / bullet adjust x1

Discuss the third game in the series here.
firecrest

Extreme X / 10 star / bullet adjust x1

Post by firecrest »

I've been trying to accomplish the 10-star ranking on Extreme X with bullet adjust x1 as my last challenge. I'm finding it rather... difficult, to put it mildly. The best I was able to get is 8.9 stars. I can probably optimize my run in other sections, but I'm taking way too much damage (around 1250), which also results in more continues (around 10). For a 10-star ranking, I need under 500 damage points and less than two continues.

Unsurprisingly, runs in this category are rare. Most people opt for bullet adjust x5. There is one on Youtube, but it uses several exploits to get around some challenges. I'm trying for a more candid approach, but getting my butt handed to me in the process.

This game mode is really frustrating, but it seems to be the only mode where it tests your entire knowledge of the game. I'm a bit surprised that more Silent Hill games haven't adopted this mode. It really puts "survival" in "survival horror."

EDIT:

Personal Best:
Ending type: Normal
Action Level: Extreme X (5/5 stars)
Riddle Level: Hard (5/5 stars)
Clear time: 2h 47m 19s (10/10 stars)
Split worm kill time: 1m 24s (2/2 stars)
Missionary kill time: 1m 33s (2/2 stars)
Leonard kill time: 1m 55s (2/2 stars)
Memory of Alessa kill time: 2m 47s (2/2 stars)
The god kill time: 5m 13s (2/2 stars)
Clear number: 30 (5/5 stars)
Save & continue number: 3 (4/5 stars)
Item number: 155 (20/20 stars)
Extra weapon number: 5 (5/5 stars)
Defeated enemy by shooting: 84 (15/15 stars)
Defeated enemy by fighting: 78 (15/15 stars)
Total damage: 725 (4/5 stars)

Last edited by firecrest on Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Naroon

Re: Extreme X / 10 star / bullet adjust x1

Post by Naroon »

Has anyone ever datamined the numbers involved in how the game modifies various parameters on Extreme 1-10? It's been eons since I last played it, but I recall Heather takes more damage and the enemies obviously are more aggressive, but I vaguely recall there being other things like areas being darker so it's harder to see and enemies spotting Heather easily.
Ernest Baldwin: "The Gods are here. You know it too. You were born in this town."
firecrest

Re: Extreme X / 10 star / bullet adjust x1

Post by firecrest »

Naroon wrote:Has anyone ever datamined the numbers involved in how the game modifies various parameters on Extreme 1-10?
That would be cool. There's this reference to an "impact force" for each weapon that's been bugging me. The guidebook has an obscure reference to an "impact resistance ability" concerning Memory of Alessa, too. Silent Hill 2 monsters had a durability stat that decided when they fell to the ground and started to quaver. Silent Hill 3 also looks like it has one. This "impact resistance ability" seems to be something else, since Memory of Alessa doesn't hit the ground to quaver until her sub-machine gun variation.

The only thing I can find in the Konami official guidebook that differentiates each Extreme mode is as follows.
  • Amount of damage taken: Extreme 1 is 20% up from Hard; Extreme X is 3 times higher.
  • Bound time is longer: Extreme 1 is 2.2 times higher than Normal; Extreme X is 4 times higher than Normal.
I'm assuming "bound time" is the meter that activates when Heather needs to get back up, or is being chewed on by the Double Heads or Slurpers.

The other Extreme mode characteristics seem to be shared by all Extreme modes. I list those here for completeness.
  • Health and Stamina is 50% lower than Normal.
  • Heather's field of vision against enemies is lower by 30% compared to Easy.
  • Enemy health is the same as Hard.