AlchemillaHsospital

The highest form of flattery

Otherworld

The highest form of flattery

Post by Otherworld »

This game is now over 7 years old and it is crazy how there are so many games using the very same formula in one iteration or another.

I started to a Youtube channel, Hollow, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWAi-d2k5kM and he plays some excellent horror games that I would never see as I am not a PC gamer.

Most of them pull from P.T.
I'm going to town either way.
Annin_Tofu

Re: The highest form of flattery

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Yep. I even think Capcom rushed out RE7 because of the fact the hype was still going strong with Silent Hills.

There's a lot of people who claim that RE7 was being worked on first, but meh. I just know how it is with Capcom when it comes to observing the hype surrounding other games.

Did you know they copied the Bloater battle in Revelations 2 for the Vulcanblubber? The winter part was obviously stolen from The Last of Us as well, and there's a lot of other similarities therein. But I feel like very few people ever notice things like this.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

I always notice these types of things but they do not bother me. If it works and can be improved upon then all the power to the developers.

I mean, who many games have ripped off RE4.....
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

I feel PTs influence was more social than it was technical. I remember reading an article where Kojima said that the graphical quality of PT was downgraded to give an impression that PT was made by an Indie studio. Perhaps unintended, but this may have given aspiring creators the motivation and inspiration that they could create something similar, too.

Visage and the now defunct Allison Road come to mind.

Though in case of Visage, I felt it was no longer a "PT clone" and became its own game.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

Otherworld wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:40 pm I always notice these types of things but they do not bother me. If it works and can be improved upon then all the power to the developers.

I mean, who many games have ripped off RE4.....
That depends.

If they are just using the third person viewpoint and all, then they are copying the formula. That could also apply to RE 1 copying AITD 1, as it has the same camera angles, and is set in a mansion. But it's not really copying much else.

With games that Capcom copies, they really go all the way. Plus, they copied a Dutch director's creature design from a low budget movie that was released in 2013 for RE8, and also used somebody's art for the symbols on the doors in the first game, and the file names were revealed to be an identical match. It's absolutely crazy! :D
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

firecrest wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:36 pm I feel PTs influence was more social than it was technical. I remember reading an article where Kojima said that the graphical quality of PT was downgraded to give an impression that PT was made by an Indie studio. Perhaps unintended, but this may have given aspiring creators the motivation and inspiration that they could create something similar, too.

Visage and the now defunct Allison Road come to mind.

Though in case of Visage, I felt it was no longer a "PT clone" and became its own game.
Visage improved upon the formula and thus made its own. That's what all developers should try to do.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I was never into first person horror games. I always preferred seeing who you were playing as.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Played this game again and it could not get the 3rd laugh. I am going to try again ....

Anyone know how to get the 3rd laugh again?