jam6i

After thinking about it... SM is brilliant!

Post by jam6i on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:40 pm

It's generally regarded (meaning most people, not all) that SM is the best western-developed SH title. Despite the wildly different scheme of the game, it managed to hold on to that sense of wonder and joy of exploration and discovery that all the other western games seemed too desperate to hammer into the player. There was something really organic and genuine about the entire experience.

Tomm himself defends SM the most of all the other games. He's even said that it was he highlight of his career so far.

I love it. There's just an open honesty about it that it's trying to tell a good story without relying on SH cliches, like literally every other single western SH game. For one game the series just sheds it's own skin and tries to tell a worthwhile story.

And it's a very simple story. Minimalistic. Stripping a game to it's most basic elements and letting the remaining elements drive a fantastic narrative.

Just like Sam Barlow's "Her Story".
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:49 am

It tells it's story well and the use of the phone is smart. For me, it will always be missing combat. I just prefer that in a Silent Hill title. But by no means is that a knock on the game.

I would have also toned down the blantancy of it's pyschological messages and allow for the exploration of the entire town. As you randomly choose one path you are unable to choose the other in a single playthrough.

Another note is the fact that the Wii version is a much better looking game. It seems to run smoother as well.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:07 pm

Wii version looks better and runs smoother because it was never meant to be downgraded for a last gen (at the time) console. PS2 version was not more than an ill-advised decision to cash in on a game that was doing well critically but not selling well because of Wii exclusivity.

It was nothing more than a cheap attempt to squeeze more bucks out of the game, at the expense of the game's quality. Just like the HD collection did to SH2 and SH3.

To those who I see ask whether they should play PS2 or Wii, it's a no-brainer. Like choosing between getting a paycheck or getting a bill.

If ya don't have a Wii, save up and get one. Don't ruin the SM experience by playing the shitty port.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:31 pm

jam6i wrote:If ya don't have a Wii, save up and get one. Don't ruin the SM experience by playing the shitty port.

Unless you don't want a Wii, then it's not worth it. I literally do not want to play anything on Wii. And that's why I first got this on PSP and later on PS2. Because that was a better decision, IMO, than buying a Wii for one game.
ImageImage

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:34 pm

My Wii is long gone. I played the Wii version first. The PS2 version is much more practical for me as I have a PS2 and a backwards compatible PS3. I just cannot believe the amount of money people are charging for the PS2 version of this game ....

But no doubt, the Wii version is superior.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:58 pm

I'm big into platform adventure games so I had a wii for Mario Galaxy and the other Mario games before I got SM. By the time SM came out most people who would ever want a wii, had one. I got mine at a time when they craze was so intense I had to pay over 600$ for it on eBay since you literally couldn't find it in stores (call me a fool, but I really wanted Mario Galaxy and the other games, so I didn't mind the cost).

Shattered Memories was then a lucky bonus. I certainly would not have paid console just for the one game. Luckily Wii has some fantastic platform adventure titles.

Problem fix: stop exclusivity. Develop a game for release on most major platforms. And please don't develop a game exclusive to a poor-selling handheld Vita. That's just so dumb. Game not selling well? Duh??

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Parvatii on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:59 pm

jam6i wrote:Problem fix: stop exclusivity. Develop a game for release on most major platforms. And please don't develop a game exclusive to a poor-selling handheld Vita. That's just so dumb. Game not selling well? Duh??

I actually agree on this and I am happy they backtracked on SM and did a Sony port. Even if it's a bit lackluster.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:
jam6i wrote:Problem fix: stop exclusivity. Develop a game for release on most major platforms. And please don't develop a game exclusive to a poor-selling handheld Vita. That's just so dumb. Game not selling well? Duh??

I actually agree on this and I am happy they backtracked on SM and did a Sony port. Even if it's a bit lackluster.

Agreed with both points ....

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:22 pm

There is a difference between SM and BoM in that SM was originally developed ground-up for motion control, so by porting it you lose parts of the original experience. So for SM I cut it slack on the "don't be exclusive" thing since they were going for a unique experience.

Some parts of SM just get lost in translation to the ports.

But there's nothing about Vita that makes that single console unique from just developing for mainstream platforms. Touch screen? That's an input system easily replaceable with button input. You don't see Sam Barlow making Her Story exclusive to iOS because touch screen is somehow better for the game. Whether using your finger on a screen or pressing a button on a controller or keyboard, the actions are the same.

I'm still just stumped at the logic behind releasing a horror-themed game only for a poorly selling handheld platform. Even to this day I have yet played BoM because I can't justify buying the thing just for the one game that I know will be, at best, an "okay" experience. I watched a full LP on youtube. It's the only SH game I feel comfortable in saying "that's good enough for me".

But the Wii has a lot of games that still justify the purchase. I can't say the same about WiiU. Nintendo has been dropping the ball on games that make that console worth buying.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:37 am

The Wii was a decent console but I will never purchase anything like it again. My outlook has changed after the Wii and I don't think I will ever buy anything like it again. No motion control or VR or anything of the sort.

I am going to stay away from anything like it ....

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:50 am

The only reason I have a Wii is because I was sold one for $10. I still never play it.

I enjoyed SM a lot. I played it on the PS2 and found it to be quite good indeed...only thing I didn't like was the arrows.

It was unique and different. Something SH should be.

HellFrozenRain

Post by HellFrozenRain on Mon May 23, 2016 8:59 am

This game was genius. I was one of the people who once i played and beat it... was yelling at other fans "You wanted a good SH game!? YOU GOT IT! Open your eyes!" but what can you do? I still feel the series didn't sell out the way Resident Evil did. I mean at least the later games kept the exploration at the forefront. RE turned into CoD ots.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:03 am

Well this sounds like the right thread....

I owe this game somewhat of an apology. I thought it was awful and was happy to say so. As it turns out, I appear guilty of jumping to conclusions before giving something a full run for it's money. Not for the first time. SM has sat on my shelf flirting with being sold on ebay for a coupla years now, entirely unloved as I figured it had little to do with Silent Hill really and I wasn't interested in any retelling of a classic tale. 'What's the point?' I reasoned to myself.

As a counterpoint to my current attempts at replaying Homecoming on another xbox achievement mission, I thought hell why not and had a fiddle with SM. Adjusting the PS2 screen ratio and my tv's to 4:3 produced the surprise result of a perfectly reasonable picture quality. My save file was at Lisa's apartment so I trudged on from there with the sole purpose of finishing the game. What story had previously transpired was vague at best but hey ho. Duly got to the end with walkthrough help to avoid irritation and game-binning during the remaining Nightmare sequences, watched the genuinely surprising ending and thought 'wow, nice twist'. I wasn't immersed enough in the comings-and-goings of characters to be moved to tears, but it still shook me up.Then the clincher. The 'psych analysis' that rolled with the credits and stunning slice of Yamaokism was disturbingly spot on. Shit. It launched one hell of an internal dialogue, centred loosely around the theme of 'bloody hell am I that easy to accurately analysis, via seemingly clumsy and basic game tools?' At some point during the dialogue it occurred to me that this is the first game to make me question lots of stuff (or indeed anything at all) since, well, the first time I played through 2 and to a lesser extent 4. Very nice twist, the game had suddenly demanded my full and unconditional respect. Didn't see that coming, but that's the issue I guess, or one of 'em.

So, playthrough 2 now in progress, and whaddya know, with my new-found appreciation for the game as opposed to blanket scepticism, and greater appreciation of the general mechanics of the game (very rarely remembered to use R2 to zoom at anything first time round, musta walked straight past loads of the white-noizy areas of interest, memento's etc), I've found that it bleeds atmosphere and unease in a truly Silent Hilian fashion. Very much a similar overall vibe to patrolling the quiet dismal streets of town in the classics, and nothing like (thank fck) the ridiculously combat-heavy nonsense that replaces unease and atmosphere with button-mashing-based frustration (and accompanying immersion breakage) that constantly bogs down Homecoming. I'm loving it.

Apologies for the thread necro, but it was pretty much top of the list anyway, and after thinking about it, I too have decided Shattered Memories is brilliant. Always nice to be proven wrong in style, and nice to tuck in to that humble pie.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:22 pm

Glad to see you had such a turn around on the game. It sometimes seems to get unfairly hated on.

I think Shattered Memories is a unique and incredibly beautiful game. It's a lot of fun to play with people too and seeing how the game changes based on how other people play it.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:04 pm

Cheers :) I can see why people do dislike it (hate is too strong a word, it's a video game, if folk hate it or any game they seriously need to get out less :lol: ), and I understand those reasons, that's all fair enough. I'm just glad that I gave it another go and had my own personal epiphany. It revealed it's intelligence, something 0rigins and HC (and I guess Downpour to a lesser extent) are somewhat lacking, and its uniqueness became a strong positive instead of a perceived (by me) weakness. A quick sesh on HC earlier had me screaming at the comparatively awful flashlight control, a cheeky little nudge to the fact that SM's mechanics have taken hold. I'd be most open to whatever next instalment of SH may occur to follow similar lines, just so long as it's not VR. You just can't watch the Dredd movie without thinking 'yup, they really are a very bad idea'.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Previous

Return to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories