AlchemillaHsospital

SH4 enemy randomizer PC(GOG)

Talk about modding Silent Hill 4 here
roocker666

SH4 enemy randomizer PC(GOG)

Post by roocker666 »

I was talking with Hunter Stanton and We found the ID's for enemies, so he created this enemy randomizer.
It is a Beta version, the game crashes some times but he is working to fix those problems.
We can get some updates soon.

DOWNLOAD here: https://github.com/HunterStanton/SilentHill4Randomizer

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhN_v3E4eDw
Attachments
Randomizer
Randomizer
sh4 randomizer.jpg (8.43 KiB) Viewed 4381 times
Was I dreaming?
firecrest

Re: SH4 enemy randomizer PC(GOG)

Post by firecrest »

Thanks, roocker666 and Hunter Stanton!

Just curious from an average Joe: what would be the technical reason for a randomizer to crash? The concept sounds stable if it's a matter of copying the randomized id to a particular memory address. Are the target addresses dynamic?
roocker666

Post by roocker666 »

firecrest wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 pm Thanks, roocker666 and Hunter Stanton!

Just curious from an average Joe: what would be the technical reason for a randomizer to crash? The concept sounds stable if it's a matter of copying the randomized id to a particular memory address. Are the target addresses dynamic?
I did my research with the PS2 version, the problem is not the ID's, is the block of memory that loads the 3D models(enemyxxx.bin), it is very small. The game only loads 2 or 3 different enemies at the same time, so if you try to change the ID of an enemy, this only works if that 3D model is in memory, if not, the enemy will be invisible or never appear. I think there are some instructions in the map file to load specific 3D models(enemies) in each room but I can't find them...

Now, PC version works the same and for what I can see, Hunter is forcing the game to load all 3D models with his plugin.
Maybe the game can't handle too much data in memory(?)

The first cutscene with the Hyenas crashes because his randomizer is editing those ID's, so to fix that We need to leave those original ID's. BUt there are more problems: if you re-enter into a room(with a lot of enemies) 2 or 3 times the game crashes... If you try to pick up an item with a lot of enemies, the game crashes... Sometimes the characters in cutscenes are invisible... And We need to change the spawn points of the "hummers" because the enemies get stuck on trees or on the ceiling.

I hope he can find a way to fix that.
Was I dreaming?
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

A speedrunner known as tekkie posted a 3-and-a-half hour playthrough of the randomizer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ANTLYMy2PM

I was a little confused when you talked about "a lot of enemies," but then realized that each Toadstool fungus and Tremer lump are individual enemies. The video showcases some. My favorite is Henry walking into a room and there's a group of eight(?) or so patients just chilling there. He just sort of "nopes" up a ladder rather hurriedly. :) It was also rather impressive seeing wallmen appear in normal places. This is some amazing stuff.