Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

The Silent Hill Retrospective: Homecoming

Post by Otherworld on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:43 am

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:53 am

This game does and doesn't deserve a lot of the criticism it gets. But it's definitely the weakest entry in the series.

Pretty much everything this game did right, it somehow did an absolute wrong at the same time.

The story was really damn good and cliche as hell at the same time. The combat was pretty solid (but a major twist in the game makes it make no sense?). The cult aspect was really cool but then they shove it down your throat completely. I could go on and on bleh.

It's like any cool concept they had for it they took it and diluted it into Silent Hill Lite.

But some parts really kicked ass. The Hell Descent and Scarlett were amazing. I loved Alex and the amount of depth you get with his character through his thoughts. The house otherworld was eerie as hell (especially when you look out the windows and see the house is essentially floating in light). There was a lot to love there too.

But for a person who claimed he was such a fan of the series (to an arrogant degree, Tomm Hulett) there were some really obvious places not to go with the series and they seemed to do a lot of them in one solid go sadly.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:33 pm

Movie hate has a lot to do with the hate Homecoming receives IMO. People can't get past PH showing up in either.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 pm

But for a person who claimed he was such a fan of the series (to an arrogant degree, Tomm Hulett) there were some really obvious places not to go with the series and they seemed to do a lot of them in one solid go sadly.

I'm not sure why people always use Tomm as a scapegoat to criticize the latter games. I'm a-okay with people critiquing any of the games but Tomm joined on the Homecoming project fairly deep into development and even then it's not like he was a top producer who could instantly veto any design decision. He definitely improve the game for the better by getting rid of some of the laughably misguided plot points they originally had planned but other than that he couldn't do too much in regard of giving an overhaul to everything.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:39 am

Naroon wrote:

I'm not sure why people always use Tomm as a scapegoat to criticize the latter games. I'm a-okay with people critiquing any of the games but Tomm joined on the Homecoming project fairly deep into development and even then it's not like he was a top producer who could instantly veto any design decision. He definitely improve the game for the better by getting rid of some of the laughably misguided plot points they originally had planned but other than that he couldn't do too much in regard of giving an overhaul to everything.

I have to agree here. After I found out what what was supposed to be part of Homecomings plot all I can do is just thank Tomm for pulling this franchise straight out of the gutter because that is exactly where it was headed if those plot points came to fruition.

I am sure it is you, Naroon, that I should thank for that .....

Last edited by Otherworld on Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:04 pm.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:07 pm

It is my opinion that Tomm saved the franchise in the sense that he worked hard to keep Konami corporate's filthy hands off the games as much as possible. By the time he came along, it was Konami who had already damaged the franchise by breaking up Team Silent and moving the franchise to "lowest bidder" scenarios. Homecoming was a trainwreck before Tomm arrived to salvage it as best as possible.

It was always Konami corporate responsible for bad decisions. Which seems most apparent now since, with no one standing in the way between corporate and Silent Hill, it only took them a few months to kill the franchise.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 pm

I can't stand any of the games Tomm had a hand in, and I doubt he saved anything. But I will say at the end of the day, he wanted what we all wanted. He wanted Silent Hill to continue. They may be awful games, but if not for him, Silent Hill would have long been dead. He did as much as any fan could have done, and I always be grateful for at least that.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:16 am

^Yet, if the Silent Hill series would have been long dead if not for Tomm, then it is easy to say that he saved Silent Hill itself.

At least, for as long as he could. Not even a Kojima/Del Toro led franchise had hope. A testament to how corrosive Konami corporate is.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am

Tomm prolonged it's lifespan. Konami kept draining it's life force .....

Tomm

Special Guest

Tomm Hulett, WayForward

Post by Tomm on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:23 pm

Tabris wrote:But for a person who claimed he was such a fan of the series (to an arrogant degree, Tomm Hulett) there were some really obvious places not to go with the series and they seemed to do a lot of them in one solid go sadly.

How many times do I have to detail my distaste for this game's development before people believe me?

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:38 am

You could make a whole youtube vid about it and people still wouldn't believe you. It's like I said earlier, it mostly stems from the layman not having a clue how game development really works on a mechanical level and they just equate marketing to reality. They see a face and then they see it a few more times and that guy becomes a scapegoat for all the praise/disdain the fans wish to [misguidedly] express.

Same thing happened with Robert Bowling who used to work for Infinity Ward. Even though he was pretty much just the community manager and had very little to do with game design choices he still received the majority of the blame for anything the fanbase was displeased with, as if he were the only guy working on the game out of a studio that had well over 100 members.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:19 pm

Meh...even tho, i wasn't a fan of BOM....and while homecoming for me wasn't the greatest, I did feel that Downpour was a step in the right direction and Tomm did have a hand in that. Out of all of the newer SH games, I like Downpour the most. And like Jam mentioned to progress to P.T./SH's and to have that project cancelled, just goes to show that if these folks wasn't there guiding the ship (or think of it as a car)...Konami is trying to drive the car off the road, Tomm and the staff is trying to keep the car on the road....this series would have been dead a long time ago.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:53 pm

^that's a scary thought..... How ugly would it have been if Tomm didn't show up when he did....

Tomm

Special Guest

Tomm Hulett, WayForward

Post by Tomm on Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:00 am

Otherworld wrote:^that's a scary thought..... How ugly would it have been if Tomm didn't show up when he did....

The answer is twofold:

1) Brahms PD
2) BoM without fanservice

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:23 am

I've always wanted Brahms to be explored in a SH game, but the way that's worded it sounds like there would've been a Brahms PD segment in the game that implies Cybil would've been involved... Which would've just been way too over-the-top as opposed to the subtle-yet-still-blatant reference-in-passing she got in the final game, lol.

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:02 am

Tomm wrote:
Otherworld wrote:^that's a scary thought..... How ugly would it have been if Tomm didn't show up when he did....

The answer is twofold:

1) Brahms PD

I can't tell if those sound like good ideas or easy to screw up ideas.

What did you do, Tommy boy!?
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:55 am

Tomm wrote:

The answer is twofold:

1) Brahms PD

I also found it weird that a police car in the back of the Sheperds Glen Police station has a SHPD symbols written on the doors.

Last edited by Otherworld on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:07 pm.

LetTheGirlGo

Sleep

Post by LetTheGirlGo on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:49 am

I'm very fond of SHH it's my second favorite after 2. I think the series was heading in the right direction and then it fell apart with SM, Downpour, BOM etc. just loved the atmosphere, the town and Alex. I knew I was going to dislike SM when the idea of no locked doors. I love locked doors! Makes me curious! ;p loved SM atmosphere but detested the chase sequences.
I have seen the enemy and it is i

firecrest

Post by firecrest on Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:04 am

LetTheGirlGo wrote:I'm very fond of SHH it's my second favorite after 2. I think the series was heading in the right direction and then it fell apart with SM, Downpour, BOM etc.

For me, I think it helped quite a bit when I considered Homecoming as a sequel to the Silent Hill movie instead of as "Silent Hill 5." Mentally, this allowed me to view the game on its own merit rather than hold Double Helix to the same standard as Team Silent. This way, Homecoming acts more like the movie universe's version of "Silent Hill 2," where the story has little to do with the original. Homecoming's loading times were rather abysmal and I do miss the static camera angles from the previous games, but the game wasn't as broken as many claimed to be.

In that sense, it was disappointing that Konami lost the opportunity to expand on the movie universe and had no coherent direction afterwards. I can relate to the feeling that the series lost its way after Homecoming.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:31 am

^ I can respect your outlook on Homecoming, but rest assured this game is not put together very well.

Another member here, jam6i, has shown us time and time again how broken it really is.

Seen here.

Next

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming