EvilEye

My First Impressions: SH Homecoming

Post by EvilEye on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:40 pm

I've tried playing it for the first time yesterday. So far, I found the environment/atmosphere immediately a little bit more creepy, scary than downpour yet it felt strikingly familiar with SH 2 and SH 3. My only complaint and the thing that i noticed the most is that the others may have been right about the game being a bit too dark. Still, I've not yet progressed that far ahead in the game. So, i'll wait till then to give more feedback.
Currently living within the gates of Hell. Sit and you die.

Maki

Post by Maki on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:37 am

you better give godcoming that praise

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:25 pm

The brightness of the game is more associated with the TV you're using. :) I never had any darkness troubles with mine. It really all depends on the TV.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:50 pm

I always thought Homecoming was a better game than the reviews suggested. IMO one of the best looking SH to date.

EvilEye

Post by EvilEye on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:36 am

:) Well, whether i like it or not. It will only be my opinion.

Ok. Gave it another go. I played around with the brightness level in the options menu and manage to set it where i can see the environments of the game a little bit better. The level is a lot much higher now than the default level which i think was set at the lowest level. What i don't quite understand is why the game (like some other games too) asks you to set it too dark (until "the bar on the screen is hardly visible"). It just makes the game too dark to see or appreciate.

Anyways. Now that i can see a bit better, i can now appreciate the graphics of the game. It does look pretty good. Still, there are some parts in the game, where i think the game's color turns to like black and white particularly outside in the foggy streets and cementery. And there would be instances where the flashlight doesnt make much difference. Like under Alex's basement.

Like in previous Silent Hill games i've played. Here the sudden changes in background sound, the radio static, and the growls of the monsters combine makes myplaythrough much scarier.

Combat seems a bit more of a challenge now that the monsters are a bit more aggressive, and move faster. The control buttons take a little bit getting used to since I already died once because i was pressing the wrong buttons. Its a good thing i was able to continue not too far from where i died and not from my last save. Oh and i like how you need certain weapons to access a door/entrance.

I find the story interesting, thinking Alex may have murdered his whole family.

Well thats all i can say about it for now. :)

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:06 am

What's odd is that no matter how much I don't like Homecoming, it is the game that got me thinking about Silent Hill again, and now here I am, will way too much information about silent hill I should ever need.
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:25 am

It's about to get far more interesting...
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Homecoming feels more like Silent Hill to me than Downpour. Such a dark, disturbing, and depressing game. At least those are the emotions I experienced.

Wilsden Hills

Ooh, a sheepie

Post by Wilsden Hills on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 pm

After a first exploratory run around tonight, the most striking aspect to me is how damned tough those nurses are :o a few quick slashes with the scalpels and game over (first time round admittedly whilst I was too busy reeling from the gratuitously short dresses they wear). After the 4th time of dying in the operating theatre with 3 of them in, either on my way through or on my way back, with the last save point back in the loos I've called it quits for now. And that was with the flashlight off. Looks and feels really good, but waaay hard. Being an introductory segment, one can only imagine how sticky things get as the game develops.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

EvilEye

Post by EvilEye on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:08 am

I haven't been able to get back to the game yet but the game's setting/atmosphere and some of the monsters do
remind me of some past silent hill games. It also has that constant feel of dread.

I'm not quite sure how to judge whether a game does or doesn't have a Silent Hill feel to it though. What makes a game qualify as having a "Silent Hill" feel? With Downpour, i find the new setting interesting and i like getting to explore it's huge and hauntingly scary areas. Even though i hate how the rain makes me feel more afraid, i like this new concept/idea in adding to the fear/horror in the game. I also like being able to fight with some new monster designs as well. It's something new and interesting for me.

As for the difficulty of the SH: Homecoming, i can't really say that i had a hard time with it since i usually tend to play a game on easy mode.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Most newer games asks you to set the brightness level because every TV is different. They're doing it so that each player can play with the best amount of brightness for their TV. Not every player is going to set their brightness level for the game at max because with some TV's, a maxed out brightness level can look horrible for a game (if their TV is already bright). So, those TV's would require a lower game brightness level. Those with darker TV's would require a much higher game brightness level. They do it to accommodate everyone, not just one level/one TV setting. I usually have to max out the game's brightness setting.

Wilsden Hills

Ooh, a sheepie

Post by Wilsden Hills on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:58 pm

I had no problems with the brightness of the game, indeed turning the flashlight off seemed to add considerably to the creepy-factor of trying to skit my way through the nurse-barricade in the operating theatre - it definitely contributed to me shitting my pants and making a break for it too often, resulting inevitably in them hearing my clumping footsteps and giving chase. Definitely looking forward to returning to the game, there's just the small matter of playing through 4 and Origins before I sit down and give the game the focus it deserves. Merely having to go find Josh's Robbie had me purring in delight, shame it's not an open-world full-freedom RPG, I'd simply have pointed my dodgy looking younger brother in the direction of the nearest rave and saying 'there he is, behind the decks'. Sorted and possibly game over 8-)
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Yes it is initally hard but I have played it so much that it is easy for me now. I play on Hard mode. Very good game, besides Origins I'd say its the under appreciated game of the series.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:48 pm

And I'll keep on slogging away at it until I get that damn laser pistol!
No results found for oohfakanorus.

EvilEye

Post by EvilEye on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:58 am

WhiteClaudia wrote:Most newer games asks you to set the brightness level because every TV is different. They're doing it so that each player can play with the best amount of brightness for their TV. Not every player is going to set their brightness level for the game at max because with some TV's, a maxed out brightness level can look horrible for a game (if their TV is already bright). So, those TV's would require a lower game brightness level. Those with darker TV's would require a much higher game brightness level. They do it to accommodate everyone, not just one level/one TV setting. I usually have to max out the game's brightness setting.

Well, thanks for explaining. For me, the guide/instructions (for the games having such) just seems inaccurate, you're better off just to check and adjust the brightness while you're playing the game.

Got to play it again the other day, and i had forgotten i was actually playing Normal mode. I think it's because the game doesn't have an easy mode. Nevertheless, so far the monsters are not that hard actually. I've yet to reach a boss fight though.

The gameplay does remind me a lot of some classic survival horror games like resident evils 1-3. So far there isn't much combat. But i'm pacing myself quite slow, so maybe things will change as i go deeper into the game.

Legacee

Post by Legacee on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:04 am

I really enjoy SH:Homecoming. Also I do agree with ComaWhite, Homecoming has a better atmosphere then Downpour, but that doesn't deny that Downpour was a good game.I played through Downpour 7+ times, they are all great titles.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:23 pm

EvilEye wrote:
WhiteClaudia wrote:Most newer games asks you to set the brightness level because every TV is different. They're doing it so that each player can play with the best amount of brightness for their TV. Not every player is going to set their brightness level for the game at max because with some TV's, a maxed out brightness level can look horrible for a game (if their TV is already bright). So, those TV's would require a lower game brightness level. Those with darker TV's would require a much higher game brightness level. They do it to accommodate everyone, not just one level/one TV setting. I usually have to max out the game's brightness setting.

Well, thanks for explaining. For me, the guide/instructions (for the games having such) just seems inaccurate, you're better off just to check and adjust the brightness while you're playing the game.

Got to play it again the other day, and i had forgotten i was actually playing Normal mode. I think it's because the game doesn't have an easy mode. Nevertheless, so far the monsters are not that hard actually. I've yet to reach a boss fight though.

The gameplay does remind me a lot of some classic survival horror games like resident evils 1-3. So far there isn't much combat. But i'm pacing myself quite slow, so maybe things will change as i go deeper into the game.

It's mainly there for convenience's sake. It's much more convenient and easy to just adjust it according to the specific game instead of having to adjust the TV's brightness level every time you play a different game. Every game is going to require a different brightness level as well. And it would be a HUGE hassle if you had to keep readjusting the TV's setting every time you wanted to play a different game, instead of being able to just do it in-game.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:30 am

Legacee wrote:I really enjoy SH:Homecoming. Also I do agree with ComaWhite, Homecoming has a better atmosphere then Downpour, but that doesn't deny that Downpour was a good game.I played through Downpour 7+ times, they are all great titles.

I haven't played homecoming in years, but i have played Downpour maybe sometime last year, and i remember feeling like Downpour's atmosphere was slightly better than homecoming's, but eh i'm going to have to fire up homecoming at some point...it's just that right now it's incredibly hard to play any SH game at the moment since i will only play these games at night..and yup all of the SH titles are solid entries...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

DarkAngelEyes

Post by DarkAngelEyes on Tue May 13, 2014 7:29 pm

I'm playing it for the first time and I'm at the Hotel part. there are similarities between it and the movie. Environment wise anyways. The painting you have to cut through. The map in the letter slot in the lobby. The Smog creature. The holes in the floors. the nurses and the bugs following you know who.

thenamelessone

Post by thenamelessone on Sun May 18, 2014 9:44 am

I just finished Silent Hill: Homecoming, and thought I'd post my own thoughts. I was introduced to the Silent Hill series after playing Silent Hill 2, and went on to enjoy SH1 and 3. However, I found SH4 (The Room) to be a major snorefest, and steered away from the series for a while, thinking it was on the decline.

When I first booted up Silent Hill Homecoming, I was prepared for the absolute worst. It started up pretty good, actually. The hospital was a great introduction to the game, with a lot of foreshadowing. I was a little concerned by the control and combat mechanisms, as they appeared to be influenced by console gaming. Overall, this wasn't a bad thing. Combat has been vastly improved from previous games, and the addition of dodging and combos make fighting enemies tactical and exciting. The monsters and boss characters had fantastic design and texturing.

As I continued playing, the game got better and better. Alex's house and the graveyard were both heavy in atmosphere, and the plot felt like Silent Hill 2 and 3 had been blended together. Amnesia in the protagonist, the Order makes a reappearance, and characters fighting their personal demons.

I've got to be honest, I thought right away that
REVEAL SPOILER
Josh was dead and Alex was delusional/suffering amnesia
. However, I was thrown off this train of thought when the Order made an appearance, as well as other people who also saw the monsters and confirmed that people were disappeared. So I was surprised when I found out that
REVEAL SPOILER
Alex was delusional

My gripes are minor. I thought some of the 'minigames' were stupid and unnecessary. Why did I have to click rapidly to pry open doors and turn wheels? Talk about needless busywork! The endings were also pretty short, and left a lot of loose ends. Alex getting teleported all over the place at the drop of a hat also confused the hell out of me. In Silent Hill 1 and 2, there was a rhyme and reason to it. However, in Homecoming, one minute Alex is in Shepherd's Glen, and then the next minute he wakes up in a hotel in Silent Hill. Huh?

I don't like the Order mooks, either. Where the hell did they come from? Do you mean to tell me that Silent Hill has a bunker full of paramilitary gas mask wearing cultists? That just doesn't gel with the way the cult operated in previous games, and seems to have been transplanted from the movie (which I *hated*). The game could have been greatly improved by removing all the nonsense at the mook base in Silent Hill. Why not have a showdown with the Big Bad in the cathedral?

Overall, I think Silent Hill Homecoming is an above average game. I wouldn't put it on par with SH 1, 2 and 3, but it stands well on its own.

Next

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming