CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

My First Impressions: SH Homecoming

Post by CrazyCatLady on Sun May 18, 2014 4:14 pm

thenamelessone wrote:I just finished Silent Hill: Homecoming, and thought I'd post my own thoughts. I was introduced to the Silent Hill series after playing Silent Hill 2, and went on to enjoy SH1 and 3. However, I found SH4 (The Room) to be a major snorefest, and steered away from the series for a while, thinking it was on the decline.

When I first booted up Silent Hill Homecoming, I was prepared for the absolute worst. It started up pretty good, actually. The hospital was a great introduction to the game, with a lot of foreshadowing. I was a little concerned by the control and combat mechanisms, as they appeared to be influenced by console gaming. Overall, this wasn't a bad thing. Combat has been vastly improved from previous games, and the addition of dodging and combos make fighting enemies tactical and exciting. The monsters and boss characters had fantastic design and texturing.

As I continued playing, the game got better and better. Alex's house and the graveyard were both heavy in atmosphere, and the plot felt like Silent Hill 2 and 3 had been blended together. Amnesia in the protagonist, the Order makes a reappearance, and characters fighting their personal demons.

I've got to be honest, I thought right away that
REVEAL SPOILER
Josh was dead and Alex was delusional/suffering amnesia
. However, I was thrown off this train of thought when the Order made an appearance, as well as other people who also saw the monsters and confirmed that people were disappeared. So I was surprised when I found out that
REVEAL SPOILER
Alex was delusional

My gripes are minor. I thought some of the 'minigames' were stupid and unnecessary. Why did I have to click rapidly to pry open doors and turn wheels? Talk about needless busywork! The endings were also pretty short, and left a lot of loose ends. Alex getting teleported all over the place at the drop of a hat also confused the hell out of me. In Silent Hill 1 and 2, there was a rhyme and reason to it. However, in Homecoming, one minute Alex is in Shepherd's Glen, and then the next minute he wakes up in a hotel in Silent Hill. Huh?

I don't like the Order mooks, either. Where the hell did they come from? Do you mean to tell me that Silent Hill has a bunker full of paramilitary gas mask wearing cultists? That just doesn't gel with the way the cult operated in previous games, and seems to have been transplanted from the movie (which I *hated*). The game could have been greatly improved by removing all the nonsense at the mook base in Silent Hill. Why not have a showdown with the Big Bad in the cathedral?

Overall, I think Silent Hill Homecoming is an above average game. I wouldn't put it on par with SH 1, 2 and 3, but it stands well on its own.

You and I are the opposite. :lol: I love 4 but rank Homecoming as the lowest on my list.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Mon May 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Homecoming is much better in my head then it actually is in real life
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

residentevilo

Silent Hill Fan. Will fight my opinion.

Post by residentevilo on Sat May 24, 2014 1:24 am

Homecoming is by far one of my favorite horror games. I still feel it was very underrated and unfairly judged.
It kept the cult themes, gave an intriguing story, had likable characters with decent voice acting, great graphics (at the time), amazing music and atmospheric locations.

I think the biggest reason many bagged on it, is that the previous main entry, Silent Hill 4, played entirely different and looked different, and because the studio who developed the game was someone new rather than Team Silent.

If people actually tried to replay it and did it in a dark room, they could come to appreciate the game for what it was. I always thought it deserved at least a 7/10 score. Obviously this is just my opinion, but Downpour couldn't at all hold a candle to Homecoming in absolutely any way. Homecoming atmosphere was better, characters were better, gameplay was better, music was better and the story was better.

In all, the series ranks like this:

1. Silent Hill 3
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Silent Hill 4
4. Silent Hill Homecoming
5. Silent Hill
6. Silent Hill Origins
7. Silent Hill Shattered Memories
8. Silent Hill Downpour
9. Silent Hill Book Of Memories

(Yes, I liked Homecoming better than the first game. Kill me. Haha)

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Sat May 24, 2014 12:49 pm

residentevilo wrote:Homecoming is by far one of my favorite horror games. I still feel it was very underrated and unfairly judged.
It kept the cult themes, gave an intriguing story, had likable characters with decent voice acting, great graphics (at the time), amazing music and atmospheric locations.

I think the biggest reason many bagged on it, is that the previous main entry, Silent Hill 4, played entirely different and looked different, and because the studio who developed the game was someone new rather than Team Silent.

If people actually tried to replay it and did it in a dark room, they could come to appreciate the game for what it was. I always thought it deserved at least a 7/10 score. Obviously this is just my opinion, but Downpour couldn't at all hold a candle to Homecoming in absolutely any way. Homecoming atmosphere was better, characters were better, gameplay was better, music was better and the story was better.

In all, the series ranks like this:

1. Silent Hill 3
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Silent Hill 4
4. Silent Hill Homecoming
5. Silent Hill
6. Silent Hill Origins
7. Silent Hill Shattered Memories
8. Silent Hill Downpour
9. Silent Hill Book Of Memories

(Yes, I liked Homecoming better than the first game. Kill me. Haha)

My putting Homecoming at the bottom of my list has nothing to do with Team Silent. I also want to point out that I have played the game many times, and while it is still at the bottom of my list, I didn't dislike it by any means. I do believe it had some of the best monster design. However, I just enjoyed the other SH games more. And found more positives with the other games.

Silent Hill 1 is also fairly low on my list.

flower-can

Post by flower-can on Sat May 24, 2014 3:02 pm

BillMurraylives wrote:Homecoming is much better in my head then it actually is in real life

sh3 is like that for me, i can get emotional & stuff thinking & reading about it !! but as soon as i give in to play it again....such a bad reaction :c

i started homecoming but it wasn't for me at all

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:32 pm

SH: Homecoming, I bought the game new when it came out in 08, and after beating it a few times in the span of a couple weeks, I sold it. To date it’s the only entry in the entire series that I’ve sold, that’s how poor an impression this game left me with.

Now fast-forward 8 years, a few weeks back I spot Homecoming on the shelf of a local used media store. Upon seeing it… there are two voices in my head, each making their own case either for or against buying it again. The voice of the gamer who is telling me, “This game was terrifically awful, that’s why you sold it in the first place. Do. NOT! Waste. Your. Money. On. This.” Then there is the nagging voice of the collector saying, “Your collection will never be complete without it. Buy. It. NOW!”

So, after thinking about it for a few weeks… I went back yesterday… and bought it… the voice of the collector won out. Now that I have it again after almost a decade, it feels like there is an obligation to play it and give it another chance. Was this installment really as bad as I’m remembering it to be?

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:06 pm

I wouldn't say homecoming was "bad",...for me i just hated the pattern-base combat. It felt like the enemies zeroed-in on you from a distance on an invisible rail then you had to hit specific button patterns to defeat them...idk...it just felt un-inspired.

That said Homecoming was one of the first games where i felt the acting was finally on par with what was going on. In past games (the older games) characters responded in a very obscure way to the events around them. That could be just because of the voice talent/technology, but Homecoming, at least with Alex he questioned all of the crazy s**t that was going on in a more realistic fashion. Lastly Homecoming had some of the best creature and boss designs the series has ever seen to date.

Not really a bad game and if you do a little research, you can find some really impressive pics of Homecoming during it's early production runs....unfortunately, the visuals had to be scaled back tremendously due to framerate issues, but those early screens of homecoming was pretty impressive.

I know i'm in the minority when i say i prefer Homecoming over SM....i just can't find the love for that game that everybody has for it, but again i prefer homecoming over it and Origins (while i have played it) is the only SH game i don't have.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:13 am

clips7 wrote:Homecoming had some of the best creature and boss designs the series has ever seen to date.

To be fair and touch on positives, if Homecoming had two strong suits, they would be what you just mentioned. First the creature designs (minus the nurses and The Order and Pyramid Head, which were all just cameos from the movie) were a towering achievement compared to the creature designs of Shattered Memories, Downpour, and Origins. Also, adding visible wound damage to them over the course of the fight was a nice touch. Second, if people were looking for their Silent Hill to deliver a more traditional format of end of level bosses with high-octane slugfest battles, Homecoming has that in spades.

clips7 wrote:I know i'm in the minority when i say i prefer Homecoming over SM....i just can't find the love for that game that everybody has for it…

Yeah, it’s a little off topic here, but while being able to appreciate Shattered Memories for what it is, the idea that stretches of it may be a chore to get through is completely understandable.

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:43 am

I've always been curious to see how it would have turned out if they explored the initial "horror in the light" thing they were planning.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:59 am

Looking at this from the Shattered Memories POV. It does tell a much better story than HC. The story in a Silent Hill game is the most important part of it IMO.

Previous

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming