302Resident

Why, Alex, why...

Post by 302Resident on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:29 am

So nobody seems to be asking this question, so I guess I'll take the turn.

Why did Alex took Josh out to the lake at midnight?

It was never revealed why. And the people doesn't even seem to care about it. It is the thing that kept me thinking about nights. I couldn't think of any think. Anyone got an idea?
"It's being invaded by The Otherworld. A world of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life." - Harry Mason

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Naroon on Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:48 am

This was discussed in another thread where people were shit-talking HC, but I don't remember what thread specifically.

Basically, Alex took Josh out there as a way to lash out/rebel against their dad, Adam. It was the only place they could really go to be alone and get away from it all, and Alex thought it'd be a good way to also simultaneously rebel against Adam for being suck a dickwad to him all his life.

As for people not caring about it: The mother was in a catatonic state for pretty much the whole game, Adam treated Alex like shit as a means to make it easier to complete the ritual when the time came, and it's not known (I think) if anyone else knew about the incident.

mikefile

Why, Alex, why...

Post by mikefile on Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:48 pm

Everything NarroN said, plus in order to tease and scare Joshua, as Alex was jealous as hell. It's kind of obvious: "What's the matter...you scared?" (...) "Dad thinks you're a little baby who can't do anything on his own."

Here's a potentially helpful topic.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Why, Alex, why...

Post by CrazyCatLady on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Yep XD That's the previous thread this was all discussed in. And thankfully, we got somewhere with it. I was too lazy to post about it again, so I'd suggest reading that topic for more!

302Resident

Why, Alex, why...

Post by 302Resident on Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:30 am

Oh ok thanks for the link guys, never really searched through the section. I also first thought that Alex was teasing Josh too, but I only determined it by the way he speaks.

"What's the matter? Scared?" and "Not you anyway. Dad thinks you're a little baby who can't do anything on his own." were thought by me as a reaction to Josh's phrases, so I really don't think he meant to tease him by asking and saying to him these phrases.

I was pretty much like "WTF!?" when Alex tried to taunt the kid with the ring, didn't really pay attention to the way he did it.
"It's being invaded by The Otherworld. A world of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life." - Harry Mason

jam6i

Why, Alex, why...

Post by jam6i on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:56 am

Or maybe all the years of torment he experienced by Adam, all hp the absence of love, turned him into a cold hearted asshole who thought it cool to kidnap his brother in the dead of night and be a dick to him in the middle of Toluca Lake and *accidentally* killing him.

"haha*cough* OH NO!"

Alex is really a stone cold ass with no sympathy or empathy.

Alex: "I didn't know it was this bad."
Elle: "and if you did? What would you have done?"
Alex: "...gotten the hell outta here."

Lillian: "Please Alex, shoot me! End this! oh god, the pain!"
Alex: "I'm sorry, I can't."

Adam: "I treated my son like shit. Please father, forgive me."
Alex: "The only place for you is a nice seat in hell."

*Finds Deputy Wheeler clinging to life, stab wounds all over*
"No first aid kit for him. He's too far gone.
Elle: "But Alex, he's breath.."
Alex: "TOO FAR GONE."
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

gothlolilunatic

Shadow Doll

Why, Alex, why...

Post by gothlolilunatic on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:22 pm

Some of those are based on the player's decisions, so you can't say they contribute to concrete character interpretation. In the bad ending version, this is a possible interpretation, but you didn't make that clear in your post.

Also, in the case of his mother, a lot of players made the choice that they did because they thought they could save her. It's uncertain (as far as I know) if the same thing ran through Alex's head. Not to mention, not shooting her is not necessarily stone cold, it may he simply is too emotional to go through with it.

As for his father, it's not really cold to say he deserves a place in Hell. If anything, it's a very hot-blooded response, most likely motivated by hatred that's built over the years because of that poor treatment.
http://inkedblue.tumblr.com/ <---- author blog
http://authonomy.com/writing-community/profile/c324c2b8-9b3e-4dd5-b7f6-6a896fb9e810/gothlolilunatic/ <----- Authonomy profile
I can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Why, Alex, why...

Post by CrazyCatLady on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:29 pm

Plus, Alex didn't know what was going to happen to Lils if he didn't shoot her. He may have believed that he could still save her, not knowing that immediately after, the device would...do its thing.

Just as new players wouldn't know that the device would turn on after the decision.

devil hunter

Ghost

Why, Alex, why...

Post by devil hunter on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:59 am

Yeah, I agree about the Lilian stuff, it's still his mother, he may not be able to shoot her.

Parvatii

The Red God

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Parvatii on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:16 am

This thread made me realize some things..

REVEAL SPOILER
Someone pointed out Lilian's name is similar to Lilith. (They're Etymologically unrelated in reality.) Adam and Lilith, get it?

Well, if the designers did put this covert pun in, Alex and his brother's story is just like Cain and Abel, where Cain murdered Abel over jealously.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

devil hunter

Ghost

Why, Alex, why...

Post by devil hunter on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:41 am

Anigav wrote:This thread made me realize some things..

REVEAL SPOILER
Someone pointed out Lilian's name is similar to Lilith. (They're Etymologically unrelated in reality.) Adam and Lilith, get it?

Well, if the designers did put this covert pun in, Alex and his brother's story is just like Cain and Abel, where Cain murdered Abel over jealously.

Parvatii

The Red God

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Parvatii on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:13 am

devil hunter wrote:

REVEAL SPOILER

Oh I got more though..

REVEAL SPOILER
Then Abel died and God cursed Cain.
"The curse of Cain and the mark of Cain are phrases that originated from Genesis 4 where God declared that Cain, the firstborn son of Adam and Eve, be cursed for murdering his brother Abel. [b]A mark was put upon him to warn others that killing Cain would provoke the vengeance of God, that if someone did something to harm Cain, the damage would come back sevenfold. [/b]Some interpretations view this as a physical mark, whereas other see the "mark" as a sign, and not as a physical marking on Cain himself. "

^People keep trying to hurt Alex, bosses even, then bad things happen to them. The earth where Abel was killed was also cursed so that it would not produce for Cain, just as the otherworld took over the town.

Sorry to derail the thread.^^;

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Why, Alex, why...

Post by CrazyCatLady on Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:59 am

devil hunter wrote:Image

:lol: My thoughts exactly!

devil hunter

Ghost

Why, Alex, why...

Post by devil hunter on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:48 pm

No, need to apologize Ani, that's some pretty cool stuff :)

captain crowbar

Why, Alex, why...

Post by captain crowbar on Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:37 am

Could Bogeymidhead have been a representation of the Cherubim?

yea, he casteth out the man, and causeth to dwell at the east of the garden of Eden the cherubs and the flame of the sword which is turning itself round to guard the way of the tree of life.

That's a stretch, I know.
---

Parvatii

The Red God

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Parvatii on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:18 am

^youre onto something Captain. I'll make a thread for it later.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Naroon on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:57 am

Mind absolutely blown at Anigav's revelation.

+100

Maki

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Maki on Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:44 am

Anigav wrote:
devil hunter wrote:

REVEAL SPOILER

Oh I got more though..

REVEAL SPOILER
Then Abel died and God cursed Cain.
"The curse of Cain and the mark of Cain are phrases that originated from Genesis 4 where God declared that Cain, the firstborn son of Adam and Eve, be cursed for murdering his brother Abel. [b]A mark was put upon him to warn others that killing Cain would provoke the vengeance of God, that if someone did something to harm Cain, the damage would come back sevenfold. [/b]Some interpretations view this as a physical mark, whereas other see the "mark" as a sign, and not as a physical marking on Cain himself. "

^People keep trying to hurt Alex, bosses even, then bad things happen to them. The earth where Abel was killed was also cursed so that it would not produce for Cain, just as the otherworld took over the town.

Sorry to derail the thread.^^;

302Resident

Why, Alex, why...

Post by 302Resident on Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:07 am

Holy....

Silent_Suzy

Gamer Girl

Why, Alex, why...

Post by Silent_Suzy on Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:53 pm

I believe that Alex took his brother Josh out to the lake in secret many times before that specific time. It's probably because of a lot of reasons. It was the only time they could really hang out together one on one. Maybe he was just bored, couldn't sleep, fed up with how life was at home, mad, and wanted a little spontaneous exictement, rebel against his dad by doing something he wasn't supposed to and scare the crap out of his little brother just for a laugh. I imagine he was laying in bed reflecting on things and probably having bad feelings of jealousy, wanting to do something mean to Josh to relieve it. I used to do this to my little brother too, scare him for my own amusement. I was pretty rotten.

Next

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming