devil hunter

Ghost

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by devil hunter on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:20 am

Well, to be fair, if they made it more obvious people would complain about it not being subtle enough.

Yeah, people make many jokes about sexy nurses, but exposed breasts are pretty common when it comes ot Nurses in these games and we know it wasn't their intention to just put sexy nurses and that's it, nothing else special about them.

Pieramid_Head

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:30 am

devil hunter wrote:Well, to be fair, if they made it more obvious people would complain about it not being subtle enough.

Yeah, people make many jokes about sexy nurses, but exposed breasts are pretty common when it comes ot Nurses in these games and we know it wasn't their intention to just put sexy nurses and that's it, nothing else special about them.

Yeah, you probably do have a point there. Fans tend to get whiny when their monsters aren't extremely obscure. I just feel like if there isn't symbolism connecting to the nurses being sexy, don't make them sexy, y'know? In Silent Hill 1 the nurses were possessed, but they didn't need to be possessed AND sexy.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:37 am

devil hunter wrote:This always blows people's minds: Image

Look at the stomach area.

Wow mind blown.
I certainly never noticed that before.

But I think they should have made the pregnancy symbolism of the nurses more profound and obvious. I get that people would have complained about it being unsubtle but the foetus/pregnancy symbolism was barely noticeable especially considering how players would be immediately drawn to the 'obvious' other features of the nurse (the nurses' physique, exposed cleavage).
Plus a woman with such a developed foetus would have had a bulging stomach, not flat like that.

It certainly seems the symbolism was there but I think it could have been more profound and better executed in relation to the nurse' design.

Pieramid_Head

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:40 am

Silenthill4life wrote:
devil hunter wrote:This always blows people's minds: Image

Look at the stomach area.

Wow mind blown.
I certainly never noticed that before.

But I think they should have made the pregnancy symbolism of the nurses more profound and obvious. I get that people would have complained about it being unsubtle but the foetus/pregnancy symbolism was barely noticeable especially considering how players would be immediately drawn to the 'obvious' other features of the nurse (the nurses' physique, exposed cleavage).
Plus a woman with such a developed foetus would have had a bulging stomach, not flat like that.

It certainly seems the symbolism was there but I think it could have been more profound and better executed in relation to the nurse' design.

Exactly. And like you said, their stomach's would be bulging by the time the fetus got that big.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:33 am

According to SH wiki Alex may have been sexually frustrated:

During his time, he creates the delusion that he was a soldier, believing that he was in a hospital for wounded soldiers, rather than a mental hospital. He imagines that the nurses wear revealing clothing to comfort the soldiers. The nurses in the game have noticeable cleavage and have a growing fetus in their womb, heavily symbolizing birth, which is a very powerful theme in the game.

Alex speaks fondly of the girls back in his hometown of Shepherd's Glen, as well as making reference to buxom females he sees during his tour of duty, suggesting that he is somewhat sexually frustrated.

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Sexuality

Well they could have fooled me. I thought the only thing Alex was interested in was finding his brother. I didn't even notice this side of him

Must suck to be Elle though. She basically got rejected by Alex even though he was "sexually frustrated".

Pieramid_Head

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Silenthill4life wrote:According to SH wiki Alex may have been sexually frustrated:

During his time, he creates the delusion that he was a soldier, believing that he was in a hospital for wounded soldiers, rather than a mental hospital. He imagines that the nurses wear revealing clothing to comfort the soldiers. The nurses in the game have noticeable cleavage and have a growing fetus in their womb, heavily symbolizing birth, which is a very powerful theme in the game.

Alex speaks fondly of the girls back in his hometown of Shepherd's Glen, as well as making reference to buxom females he sees during his tour of duty, suggesting that he is somewhat sexually frustrated.

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Sexuality

Well they could have fooled me. I thought the only thing Alex was interested in was finding his brother. I didn't even notice this side of him

Must suck to be Elle though. She basically got rejected by Alex even though he was "sexually frustrated".

Interesting find! I think that the pregnancy should have been more predominant than the sex-appeal though, since pregnancy seemed to be a bigger theme in the game than sexual-frustration.

EDIT: That is, if sexual frustration was even a theme at all, which I'm not so sure it was.
Last edited by Pieramid_Head on Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:12 am.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Well, to be fair, that's just a speculation on the wiki, so it's not necessarily true.

Pieramid_Head

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:51 pm

devil hunter wrote:Well, to be fair, that's just a speculation on the wiki, so it's not necessarily true.

Yeah, honestly now that I think about it I'm not so sure if I believe that that speculation is true- not saying that it isn't,
just saying that I'm not sure if I believe it. Homecoming didn't really feel like a game where sexuality was present, excluding the nurses.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:15 pm

devil hunter wrote:Well, to be fair, that's just a speculation on the wiki, so it's not necessarily true.

This could be true, but the bit where Alex refers to the girls of Shepherds' glen and the buxom females when he is on "tour" seems to be derived from memos (perhaps his diary) as it sounds factual and not speculative.

Pieramid_Head wrote:
Interesting find! I think that the pregnancy should have been more predominant than the sex-appeal though, since pregnancy seemed to be a bigger theme in the game than sexual-frustration.

I agree, that is if sexual frustration was even a theme because as Devil Hunter mentions it may just have been speculation posted on the wiki page.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:00 am

That's the reason I doubt it, since much greater emphasis is put on sacrifices and pregnancy.

Nachtwaechter

There is no reality, only perception.

Post by Nachtwaechter on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:29 am

This right here is pretty much my biggest pet peeve with this game's story. They forgot to make their characters interesting, so they had to release 3 additional diaries to fix that problem. Oh, and they also forgot to include the most important bit of information about Alex' and Joshua's relationship in the actual game:
I remember the day he was born how happy my parents were. It was almost like relief. Joshua’s ten years younger than me and I think they were trying to have another kid the entire time so I think they were just glad he was healthy. They pretty much spoiled him from that day on. I didn’t mind it at first, because he and I get along great. But they basically wrote me off after he showed up. Even now, I haven’t received a single letter from them since I left. I don’t bother with mail call.

This right here is where all the childbirth symbolism comes from. Alex obviously doesn't know anything about the sacrifices, so he believes that his parents stopped showing him affection because Joshua was born. A part of him blames his brother for the bad relationship he has with his parents. Since he was "the baby" of the family, some of the monsters are a grotesque parody of childbirth or pregnancy.
No idea where the nurses' huge knockers come from, though. I guess they just wanted to add some fanservice and lazily added two lines to Alex' diaries that indicate he shockingly might have been attracted to women.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:48 am

Nachtwaechter wrote:This right here is pretty much my biggest pet peeve with this game's story. They forgot to make their characters interesting, so they had to release 3 additional diaries to fix that problem. Oh, and they also forgot to include the most important bit of information about Alex' and Joshua's relationship in the actual game:
I remember the day he was born how happy my parents were. It was almost like relief. Joshua’s ten years younger than me and I think they were trying to have another kid the entire time so I think they were just glad he was healthy. They pretty much spoiled him from that day on. I didn’t mind it at first, because he and I get along great. But they basically wrote me off after he showed up. Even now, I haven’t received a single letter from them since I left. I don’t bother with mail call.

This right here is where all the childbirth symbolism comes from. Alex obviously doesn't know anything about the sacrifices, so he believes that his parents stopped showing him affection because Joshua was born. A part of him blames his brother for the bad relationship he has with his parents. Since he was "the baby" of the family, some of the monsters are a grotesque parody of childbirth or pregnancy.
No idea where the nurses' huge knockers come from, though. I guess they just wanted to add some fanservice and lazily added two lines to Alex' diaries that indicate he shockingly might have been attracted to women.

Great post as usual

I too don't like how the developers have supplemented what should have been in-game content (i.e. DLCS, etc) with external sources like the diaries for homecoming or Anne's story comics for downpour.

If SH2 could produce a dlc I don't see why the other games couldn't do so, even if they were handled by different developers.
It really felt like Konami's attitude towards the latter games changed a lot.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:26 am

I didn't see what was so out-of-place about the nurses or their tits. I mean, they weren't ridiculously sized or anything. Sure, the outfits were fairly skimpy and sleazy-looking, but that was about it, and it's clear their actual design was lifted straight from the movie. I'd wager a guess and say the model for the nurse enemy was completed some time before the game's story and overall plot was overhauled by Tomm and co. and they simply didn't bother doing a complete redesign of them. As for their symbolism, it's pretty evident that Alex had his stay in the mental ward, and I guess maybe some of the workers there were tending to him or he saw them at several points.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Playing Silent Hill Homecoming is like eating a MdDonald's hamburger.

You had money and wanted food. But after eating the burger you feel guilty for eating it. And then you look to your left and see a restaurant that makes actual hamburgers and you kick yourself for being so stupid as to eating a McDonald's hamburger.

You had money and wanted to play a game. But after playing Homecoming you feel guilty for playing it. And then you look to your left and see a game that is better, and you kick yourself for being so stupid as to playing Homecoming.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:53 pm

I guess you feel that way if you don't like HC. It's not my favorite SH by a long shot, but I enjoyed it.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:21 pm

I guess you feel that way if you don't like McDonald's. McDonald's isn't my favourite hamburger chain by a long shot, but I can enjoy it.

:)

It's a perfect analogy.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:22 pm

I don't like McDonald's period, but I still had fun with HC, lol.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:42 pm

^But when ya look to your left, what are the odds you'll see a much better, more enjoyable game? Probably good odds. Especially if you're, like, at a Gamestop or whatever. Which then means you're at a Gamestop and I'd have more important questions to ask you like "uh, you do know that GameStop is evil right?"

Homecoming is the Dollar Menu hamburger of the Silent Hill series. I mean sure you could pay up and get a full meal with fries and a drink but...you only have a dollar and some change so ya might as well get that limp soggy plastic patty.

Both can give you indigestion, though.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:24 am

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:49 pm

jam6i wrote:^But when ya look to your left, what are the odds you'll see a much better, more enjoyable game? Probably good odds. Especially if you're, like, at a Gamestop or whatever. Which then means you're at a Gamestop and I'd have more important questions to ask you like "uh, you do know that GameStop is evil right?"

Homecoming is the Dollar Menu hamburger of the Silent Hill series. I mean sure you could pay up and get a full meal with fries and a drink but...you only have a dollar and some change so ya might as well get that limp soggy plastic patty.

Both can give you indigestion, though.

I understood your Mickey D's analogy the first time, my point was that I just don't give a shit if anyone else thinks it's objectively a shit game.

When I played Homecoming, I played it because I wanted to play it. I didn't give a shit about any other game because I wasn't trying to play anything else except Homecoming. When I used to play various CoD games with friends, I wasn't thinking "hmm, I could be playing Quake right now and having a better time", I was enjoying the moment in spite of the fact there were superior alternatives available.

That being said, I don't really care if anyone else thinks HC is a shit game. I liked it. What other people saw as flaws, I saw as merely part of the game's design and vision. I'm not saying the game is flawless, as it has many flaws. But for me it's the same as all the folks who got butthurt over P.T. being in first-person, something I've been wanting in the series for a long time now. Different strokes, etc.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming