Nachtwaechter

Member

There is no reality, only perception.

Posts: 75

Joined: Oct 09, 2014

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Nachtwaechter on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:59 pm

This might be nitpicky, please bare with me.

There are too many redundant characters, fighting humans is beyond lame, the puzzles are like pulling teeth and the fact that there is no adjustable difficulty setting shows very little self-awareness as to why people enjoy Silent Hill games, the villains are laughable, the game's story relies way too much on the fictional diaries of each character that can be downloaded separately, all the endings are bullshit, the levels feel empty in all the wrong ways because there is barely any disturbing shit in them, all the characters' mouths are way scarier than anything else in the game, playing as a skilled fighter defeats the point of survival horror because you stop fearing the monsters, and introducing every single monster with a cutscene was a bad idea.

That game is still a massive guilty pleasure of mine, though.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Silenthill4life on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:01 am

Nachtwaechter wrote:This might be nitpicky, please bare with me.

There are too many redundant characters, fighting humans is beyond lame, the puzzles are like pulling teeth and the fact that there is no adjustable difficulty setting shows very little self-awareness as to why people enjoy Silent Hill games, the villains are laughable, the game's story relies way too much on the fictional diaries of each character that can be downloaded separately, all the endings are bullshit, the levels feel empty in all the wrong ways because there is barely any disturbing shit in them, all the characters' mouths are way scarier than anything else in the game, playing as a skilled fighter defeats the point of survival horror because you stop fearing the monsters, and introducing every single monster with a cutscene was a bad idea.

That game is still a massive guilty pleasure of mine, though.


I agree with you, except I liked the endings lol. I was intrigued by the bogeyman ending and I liked the ufo ending. That was funny, especially detective wheeler's bit!
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by CrazyCatLady on Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:19 am

Except Alex wasn't a skilled fighter.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:01 am

CrazyCatLady wrote:Except Alex wasn't a skilled fighter.


More skilled than the other protagonists
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Borg on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:20 am

Doesn't mean he's a superhuman.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:41 am

devil hunter wrote:Doesn't mean he's a superhuman.


Who said anything about him being superhuman?
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Borg on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:13 am

Nobody, I'm just saying that him being a little more skilled doesn't say much.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:44 am

devil hunter wrote:Nobody, I'm just saying that him being a little more skilled doesn't say much.


Agreed
 
 
 
 
 

Nachtwaechter

Member

There is no reality, only perception.

Posts: 75

Joined: Oct 09, 2014

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Nachtwaechter on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:55 am

Silenthill4life wrote:I agree with you, except I liked the endings lol. I was intrigued by the bogeyman ending and I liked the ufo ending. That was funny, especially detective wheeler's bit!

Ironically, the Bogeyman ending is probably the one I like the most because I never interpreted it as Alex literally becoming the Bogeyman. PH is the one who kills his Dad, but maybe he actually did it himself and in the end his delusions are crumbling when he sees himself as the monster he has become? This game's nursery rhyme indicates that the residents of Shepherd's Glen might have covered up the sacrifices by telling their children that the missing people have been taken by the Bogeyman...
Where is Steven, mommy? He can't play and I'm sad.
You mustn't ask, my darling--Steven has been bad.

Billy too, and Sally? Did they do something wrong?
I'm afraid it's true, child--all your friends are gone.

Beware of he who took them--he goes by many names.
The Bogeyman, the Shadowed One, but all are he, the same.

... so I think it would be quite appropriate if a delusional Alex imagined him to be responsible for his own murders as well.

The UFO ending is not that bad, either. It's kind of cute that crazy, superstitious Wheeler was right all along, but it's pretty boring compared to the crazy joke endings of the other games. It also bothers me that you can get it on your first playthrough.

All the other endings are terrible, though. The good ending is way too good considering the circumstances, the drowning ending does not make any sense and the hospital ending is one of those endings that messes up the entire storyline just for the sake of having a lame plot twist.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:14 am

Nachtwaechter wrote:
Silenthill4life wrote:I agree with you, except I liked the endings lol. I was intrigued by the bogeyman ending and I liked the ufo ending. That was funny, especially detective wheeler's bit!

Ironically, the Bogeyman ending is probably the one I like the most because I never interpreted it as Alex literally becoming the Bogeyman. PH is the one who kills his Dad, but maybe he actually did it himself and in the end his delusions are crumbling when he sees himself as the monster he has become? This game's nursery rhyme indicates that the residents of Shepherd's Glen might have covered up the sacrifices by telling their children that the missing people have been taken by the Bogeyman...
Where is Steven, mommy? He can't play and I'm sad.
You mustn't ask, my darling--Steven has been bad.

Billy too, and Sally? Did they do something wrong?
I'm afraid it's true, child--all your friends are gone.

Beware of he who took them--he goes by many names.
The Bogeyman, the Shadowed One, but all are he, the same.

... so I think it would be quite appropriate if a delusional Alex imagined him to be responsible for his own murders as well.


That is very interesting. I never thought about it how you did. I thought the executioners decided Alex was fit to be a punisher amongst them given how he had already fulfilled their roles by punishing his parents (whom the order had marked for punishment).

How would you account for when Alex sees PH at the grand hotel and is hiding from him, if he is PH all along?

What you say could definitely be right, because I read on another thread here that in SH2 PH is in fact another james.

Nachtwaechter wrote:
The UFO ending is not that bad, either. It's kind of cute that crazy, superstitious Wheeler was right all along, but it's pretty boring compared to the crazy joke endings of the other games. It also bothers me that you can get it on your first playthrough.

All the other endings are terrible, though. The good ending is way too good considering the circumstances, the drowning ending does not make any sense and the hospital ending is one of those endings that messes up the entire storyline just for the sake of having a lame plot twist.


I agree. I wish though in the good ending they had left in the real world, though I liked how Elle was helping Alex. To me that showed the strength of their bond.
 
 
 
 
 

Pieramid_Head

Member

User avatar

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Posts: 82

Joined: Feb 21, 2015

Location: Sweden

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:32 am

Not sure if someone else said it (someone probably did) but I don't like the big-titted nurses. They made sense in 2 because James was searching for his wife, and he had a suppressed sexual libido, but that just don't make any sense when the main character is searching for his little brother. I'm just assuming his little brother wasn't a Double D-cup.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:24 am

Pieramid_Head wrote:Not sure if someone else said it (someone probably did) but I don't like the big-titted nurses. They made sense in 2 because James was searching for his wife, and he had a suppressed sexual libido, but that just don't make any sense when the main character is searching for his little brother. I'm just assuming his little brother wasn't a Double D-cup.


Yeah that's very true
He didn't even have strong feelings for Elle. It was the other way round in fact, with Elle having the crush on him. The sexy nurses shouldn't have been there, I don't think.
 
 
 
 
 

Pieramid_Head

Member

User avatar

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Posts: 82

Joined: Feb 21, 2015

Location: Sweden

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:17 am

Silenthill4life wrote:
Pieramid_Head wrote:Not sure if someone else said it (someone probably did) but I don't like the big-titted nurses. They made sense in 2 because James was searching for his wife, and he had a suppressed sexual libido, but that just don't make any sense when the main character is searching for his little brother. I'm just assuming his little brother wasn't a Double D-cup.


Yeah that's very true
He didn't even have strong feelings for Elle. It was the other way round in fact, with Elle having the crush on him. The sexy nurses shouldn't have been there, I don't think.


Yeah there really wasn't anything too sexual going on in Homecoming... But I guess Homecoming took a lot of inspiration from the first movie, so maybe it just got the idea of breasty nurses from there.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:25 am

Pieramid_Head wrote:
Silenthill4life wrote:
Pieramid_Head wrote:Not sure if someone else said it (someone probably did) but I don't like the big-titted nurses. They made sense in 2 because James was searching for his wife, and he had a suppressed sexual libido, but that just don't make any sense when the main character is searching for his little brother. I'm just assuming his little brother wasn't a Double D-cup.


Yeah that's very true
He didn't even have strong feelings for Elle. It was the other way round in fact, with Elle having the crush on him. The sexy nurses shouldn't have been there, I don't think.


Yeah there really wasn't anything too sexual going on in Homecoming... But I guess Homecoming took a lot of inspiration from the first movie, so maybe it just got the idea of breasty nurses from there.


That may very well be the case, but HC was in development since 2004 which was before the movie so I don't know.
Maybe they added it in later after being influenced by the movie?
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Borg on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:48 am

Well, Nurses symbolize pregnancy, they're pregnant. A lot of "sexual imagery" in Homecoming isn't that at all. It's all connected to pregnancy.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:54 am

devil hunter wrote:Well, Nurses symbolize pregnancy, they're pregnant. A lot of "sexual imagery" in Homecoming isn't that at all. It's all connected to pregnancy.


The final boss had obvious pregnancy symbolism but the nurses just seemed like a high def sexy version of the nurses carried over from SH2 and Origins.
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Borg on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:00 am

This always blows people's minds: Image

Look at the stomach area.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Pieramid_Head

Member

User avatar

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Posts: 82

Joined: Feb 21, 2015

Location: Sweden

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:05 am

devil hunter wrote:Well, Nurses symbolize pregnancy, they're pregnant. A lot of "sexual imagery" in Homecoming isn't that at all. It's all connected to pregnancy.



Yeah, but it's still undeniable that the most obvious feature of the Nurses is their ridiculous cleavage. They could have had a pregnant nurse without giving them double-d's.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Borg on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:08 am

Well, to be fair, breasts do get bigger during pregnancy.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Pieramid_Head

Member

User avatar

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Posts: 82

Joined: Feb 21, 2015

Location: Sweden

The Negatives of Silent Hill Homecoming

Post by Pieramid_Head on Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:14 am

devil hunter wrote:Well, to be fair, breasts do get bigger during pregnancy.


Yeah but there's no reason why their breasts are pushed up so far, and exposed like they are.

I mean, you must admit, the way the nurses are presented is pretty overtly sexual. Big breasts don't necessarily equal pushed up breasts/ridiculous cleavage.

And they should have made it more obvious that they were pregnant imo, if they wanted the nurses to be interpreted that way.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to Silent Hill Homecoming



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests