MurphyPendleton

Don't Call Me Cupcake

The Positives of Silent Hill Homecoming.

Post by MurphyPendleton on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:42 am

Now im not saying that the graphics in SH4 were bad, SH4 is definitely one of my favorites in the series.I was just using it to show the transition into the newer graphics

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:14 pm

I don't care what anyone says, Homecoming is beautiful! :)
I'm currently replaying it, and it definitely has a creepy feeling/ambiance to it.
I'm sure it was much creepier during my first playthrough when I had no idea what was happening/going to happen.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:54 pm

NarooN wrote:If only the gameplay didn't make me wanna throw puppies into tornadoes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: bloody hell that's foul, why don't you write the story for the new game NarooN!
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

propeties25

Be HAPPY!!! jaja

Post by propeties25 on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:29 pm

Is a nice game and you can have MANY weapons... 8-)

Nachtwaechter

There is no reality, only perception.

Post by Nachtwaechter on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:18 pm

I like how you actually injure the monsters when you attack them. The fact that all the boss monsters represent people the protagonist used to know is a very disturbing implication and really compliments the idea of him descending into his personal hell, and so does having to visit an Otherworld version of his childhood home. I enjoyed Alex and the monsters (which is also an awesome band name by the way). I also appreciated how you were able to learn on your own how he feels about his parents by exploring the Shepherd house before having it shoved in your face.

Even if the story may not be the most creative and original, I feel like this game could have been very touching, depressing and disturbing if it would have recieved just a little bit more love and caring. It feels rushed in many ways, but for some strange reason I still like it.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:06 am

SH homecoming was a good game.

For me it had good combat gameplay, good quality graphics (for its time; downpour certainly surpassed homecoming in terms of graphics), good storyline/story progression (I felt Alex's journey into confronting his transgressions was inspired by how James comes to confront his murder of Maria).

I personally feel that all the negativity surrounding homecoming was because it was so different to the previous games people didn't have their expectations met. Albeit there is certainly a creepy atmosphere, the game is pervaded with gore which was unique to the silent hill franchise (in particular the gruesome death scenes). And for once the protagonist isn't an everyday man (has had combat experience from his father), with the exception of Heather.

The only thing I would add to SH homecoming is more easter eggs/references to the SH lore and history. Certainly felt that the combat in SH homecoming was the most fluid (especially on normal difficulty), unlike in downpour. (With downpour I had to attack, back off and repeat. Blocking was useless)

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:35 am

Most of the hate for HC was the use of PH IMO.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 pm

Had a really aggressive Negative post in the "negative" thread for HC, so I'll counterbalance that with some positives here.

I like the introductory sequence in Shepherd's Glen a lot. The music and ambient tone creates an eerie feeling of isolation and loneliness. I only wish the town were larger so this sequence could have been played out more.

I like the fact that the game lets you go into Town Hall right away and do some exploration/sightseeing without worrying about enemies.

Down time is always important for a horror game!

I also like the boss designs. I feel the bosses are the strongest quality (one of the few good qualities) of Homecoming.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Lord Zachariah

Bara Man

Post by Lord Zachariah on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:15 am

jam6i wrote:Had a really aggressive Negative post in the "negative" thread for HC, so I'll counterbalance that with some positives here.

I like the introductory sequence in Shepherd's Glen a lot. The music and ambient tone creates an eerie feeling of isolation and loneliness. I only wish the town were larger so this sequence could have been played out more.

I like the fact that the game lets you go into Town Hall right away and do some exploration/sightseeing without worrying about enemies.

Down time is always important for a horror game!

I also like the boss designs. I feel the bosses are the strongest quality (one of the few good qualities) of Homecoming.

I agree with Jam6i, but would also add on the soundtrack. All the character themes in the game were really great. One More Soul To The Call, This Sacred Line, Soldier's Orders, and Elle's Theme are all super great, IMO.

Edit: I feel like I should emphasize that by soundtrack I meant the Mary Elizabeth McGlynn songs mostly, not the instrumental tracks. Just to avoid misunderstandings.
Heather is my spirit animal, and Alessa is my Stand.

Vengur

Warcraft is my jam.

Post by Vengur on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:10 pm

I guess the major thing I liked about Homecoming is how the developers still had a shred of dignity and decided not to call this Silent Hill 5.
Why does the Devil have a monopoly on buying souls?

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:16 pm

Vengur wrote:I guess the major thing I liked about Homecoming is how the developers still had a shred of dignity and decided not to call this Silent Hill 5.

And another positive is at least we got Homecoming! thewoundoversilenthillswillneverhealnever#
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Lost In The Fog

Post by Lost In The Fog on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:03 pm

- glorious boss designs
- Alex not being a soldier, never saw that one coming
- the Otherworld spreading out to Sheperds Glen
- the blood-red Otherworld sky

Tenebra

... I meant everything.

Post by Tenebra on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:50 pm

Lost In The Fog wrote:- Alex not being a soldier, never saw that one coming

Interesting.. I would have put this on the negative side. Do not misunderstand me, not that I wanted him to be a soldier, on the contrary I never liked that idea from the beginning, but when the revelation took place and we realize that he was never a soldier in the first place is like..... what??? . How he knew fight so well and handle all those weapons if he was never a soldier?I did not have much sense to me. Anyway, back to the positive things after all that is what this thread is all about.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:19 pm

He could have received training for that without having to become a solider ..... :grenade:

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:27 pm

I never thought he fought that well, plus, wasn't it said his father was training him?

Other SH characters handled weapons just as well as him, same for Resi characters because that's just the battle system. Ever heard for this trope people?: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... egregation

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:04 pm

To be fair, Alex can go through almost the entire game slicing and dicing all enemies except bosses with his bad ass knife skills.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:50 pm

The concept worked for the game because he was supposed to be a soldier and his moves can be explained in that I too think that his father trained him or showed him some moves...his entire knife animation tho?....with that spin move at the end?...yeah, they should've axed that!...>_<
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:55 pm

^ That uppercut type move was a little much too ...

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:35 pm

Gameplay guys, gameplay.

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:08 pm

The game started out pretty strong, like SH3, by putting you in a hellish world almost immediately. Plus the hospital was easily one of the more interesting and atmospheric levels of the game. Also solid level designs were the nightmare Shepherd home and the church. The church being my personal favorite level of the game, it had great atmosphere but was quite brief and could have definitely been expanded.

Of all the games to come after SH4, Homecoming easily has the best conceptual approach to fighting. Running was never mandatory, and weapons that have no business breaking--didn’t break. If a little more effort had been put into making all the weapons balance out in their tactical advantages and effectiveness, this could have been a truly great element of the game. It’s also respectable that they tried something different with the over the shoulder gunplay view, but it never felt nearly as responsive as one would have hoped for.

Creature designs were strong and nicely detailed. And although I could have done without PH, at least they made him look good (he’s obviously been lifting weights since SH2). Overall, the boss battles were solid. I personally found the first two (Sepulcher and Scarlet) to be the highlights both in design and in battle execution.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming