aglaophotics

The Positives of Silent Hill Homecoming.

Post by aglaophotics on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:41 pm

This game has probably the best bosses in the series in terms of gameplay.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Sophia Peletier wrote:Homecoming excels at creating an atmospheric experience. I loved all of the scenes with Elle and you could really feel a connection between the two characters. The soundtrack is still as good as always, really enhancing the Scarlet boss battle and scenes between Alex and Elle. I also really loved the way the sewer level was designed, giving you a sense a dread/tension the entire way through after what you just witnessed at the Police Station.

Agreed, to the letter! The enhanced graphic capabilities of the higher-gen hardware were utilised brilliantly to my mind also, it delivered a prime atmospheric experience in exactly the same way SH2 and 3 did on the PS2. And those sewers, it was right back to that pure SH feeling of needing to progress but hating every step, a feeling that started with SH1 and is a sure signpost in my head of how much I'm enjoying any SH game since. Same with the Hell Descent level (and others in the game), the tension greeting every step forward was immense. It might be considered by seasoned gamers to be a bit predicatable and / or obvious, but the multi-enemy ambush at the end of the sewers was great, almost like a relieving of tension (ahhh, HERE you are!) whilst of course presenting a bloody tough scrap. Loved it!
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

Deadalux

Post by Deadalux on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:02 pm

Dear Silent Hill Homecoming, thank you for bringing me back to the series. Thanks for giving me something fun to do with my girlfriend on a lazy night. Thank you for inspiring me to not only come home to silent hill, but for showing me the way to discovering my passions. Thank you for scarlet, and reminding me that I have a fondness for creepy female characters. Thanks for letting me actually disguise myself in a silent hill game, that was fun. Thank you Homecoming, thank you.
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:15 am

Deadalux wrote:Dear Silent Hill Homecoming, thank you for bringing me back to the series. Thanks for giving me something fun to do with my girlfriend on a lazy night. Thank you for inspiring me to not only come home to silent hill, but for showing me the way to discovering my passions. Thank you for scarlet, and reminding me that I have a fondness for creepy female characters. Thanks for letting me actually disguise myself in a silent hill game, that was fun. Thank you Homecoming, thank you.

Hey rollerfan, we got another who likes Homecoming!

I think this game is like wine, the longer it's around, the more people will warm up to it.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm

ComaWhite wrote:I think this game is like wine, the longer it's around, the more people will warm up to it.

Funny but this statement actually rings true for this game. At least for me. I have enjoyed it much more after not playing it for years ..........

windowlicker

Post by windowlicker on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:47 pm

It's not long.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:57 pm

The only bad thing about Homecoming and other newer games is that they're simply TOO GOOD. So, people hate them because they're that good, better than the older ones.

Moss

Post by Moss on Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:21 am

Scarlet and Asphyxia were amazing as bosses and I loved their lore. Combat was well-rounded and I thought whilst the Otherworld didn't have the necessary dangers to foment fear, it was designed perfectly aesthetically as a fiery, industrial tomb.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

Kivi

Post by Kivi on Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:16 am

I really love the way they enhanced the graphics, I think silent hill needed that sort of improvement. But music plays a much bigger role here. Homecoming's sound track is truly one of the best (Thanks to Akira yamaoka). I still listen to a few of the sound tracks every now and then!

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:54 pm

One of my favorite memories was playing this game with a very good friend of mine back in high school with a bunch of snacks and seriously just going through the game. During the torture sequence we goofed and got the drill to the eye but then it froze so we both laughed and restarted it only this time we blasted some beastie boys because all the tension was gone. It was great
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:14 pm

Otherworld wrote:
ComaWhite wrote:I think this game is like wine, the longer it's around, the more people will warm up to it.

Funny but this statement actually rings true for this game. At least for me. I have enjoyed it much more after not playing it for years ..........

I loved it on first playthrough, digging the next-gen graphics and the atmosphere they produced. It was already a good bottle of Chateau Neuf de Pape (siaci ;) ), goodness knows how much finer it will taste on the next playthrough. Seems a phenomenon that folk hate the new and dig the old, not just regarding Silent Hill but most forms of entertainment, then when the next new one comes out they hate that and decide they actually love the last one after all. Humans, we're strange. :ugeek:

SuperEliteGamer

Red Winged Angel

Post by SuperEliteGamer on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:02 am

Hahaha,that's actually true for bunchloads and bunchloads of games from many different gaming eras.
And i quite liked Homecoming,albeit not as much as the old games,sorry.
"Because only in Monster Hunter can I get annihilated by a Super Saiyan lion-bull that knows every ki attack from Street Fighter."

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:20 am

Wilsden Hills wrote:
Otherworld wrote:

I loved it on first playthrough, digging the next-gen graphics and the atmosphere they produced. It was already a good bottle of Chateau Neuf de Pape (siaci ;) ), goodness knows how much finer it will taste on the next playthrough. Seems a phenomenon that folk hate the new and dig the old, not just regarding Silent Hill but most forms of entertainment, then when the next new one comes out they hate that and decide they actually love the last one after all. Humans, we're strange. :ugeek:

It could have been due to the fact that the expectations of this game as it was the first SH in HD where very high. Plus there was a lot of backlash towards the movie and Homecoming took a lot of its cues from there.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:38 pm

Wilsden Hills wrote:
Otherworld wrote:

Oh it's all about the replay of these games! Revive your thread when you next go through it. It still stands up.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

MurphyPendleton

Don't Call Me Cupcake

Post by MurphyPendleton on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:10 pm

I know some people were talking about how the graphics of the people in this game look kinda funky, but I think it looks like an appropriate transition into the more HD style graphics that the games are adapting.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:52 pm

I liked SH4's graphics. I think it's much better than Homecoming or Origins (though, Origins has an excuse). But Downpour's was great and Silent Hills looks like it'll be the next generation of graphics (looks awesome).

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:50 pm

Nutmeg wrote:I liked SH4's graphics. I think it's much better than Homecoming or Origins (though, Origins has an excuse). But Downpour's was great and Silent Hills looks like it'll be the next generation of graphics (looks awesome).

Agreed re SH4's graphics, I'm at the Water Prison with Eileen on my second playthrough and the ambience is superb, better than I remember it first time round though I know I loved it then too. One thing I've yet to do is play any of the games with the filter off, I'd imagine the ambience loses something by doing that?

Homecoming is on the list for another run-through guys, probably next up after 4, I'm sure we'll all be giving them all some welly in anticipation of the new one, which does indeed look like it's going to look incredible. The still pic of town, without the geezer standing there, is my wallpaper and will prolly remain so until a groovier pic turns up 8-)

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 am

4's visuals were nice at times, but for me, I noticed plenty of muddy low-res textures all over the place, which gave the game a really inconsistent look. Dunno how they managed to release a sequel which had worse graphics on a technical level than it's predecessor. Not to mention that a lot of the character models have oddly-rigged skeletons and a lot of the animations are weird as hell.

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:05 pm

NarooN wrote:4's visuals were nice at times, but for me, I noticed plenty of muddy low-res textures all over the place, which gave the game a really inconsistent look. Dunno how they managed to release a sequel which had worse graphics on a technical level than it's predecessor. Not to mention that a lot of the character models have oddly-rigged skeletons and a lot of the animations are weird as hell.

I know what you mean NarooN, I found an example in the central observation rooms in the Prison. Henry's head is all over the shop at the slightest movement he makes, as the program swiftly updates to the next fixed 'point of interest', the windows. It kinda takes me out of the moment as it looks daft, though nowhere near as much as Downpour's far more severe gremlins. As a whole, to me The Room has a flavour which is unique in the Silent Hill universe, it works in a very visual artistic way, and of course Walter's story is deeply engaging. I wish I'd been aware of the games at their time of release, I had no idea games with graphics this good were around then as life got in the way of such concerns, annoyingly. This was my introduction to SIlent Hill, I'll never forget thinking 'WTF?' watching the intro video for the first time with my son.

But all that said, I'm trying to pile through it in order to reacquaint myself with SH on the xbox. I loved the atmosphere of Homecoming for the most part, it played a large part in putting the differences and niggles of the game into context. I can't wait to play it again and reassess it. 4 has definitely stood up superbly to a second playthrough, its 'vibe' immediately hit home.

Where were we? :lol:

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:20 pm

SH4 definitely had a well-executed atmosphere. Outside of the things I mentioned, as well as the laughable-at-times monster design (burping patient creature? haunted possessed wheelchairs? weird...thin...ground thingies that just sit in place and wiggle all day? come on...), the game was pretty awesome in that regard. If only the gameplay didn't make me wanna throw puppies into tornadoes, I probably would've played the game a LOT more than I did, lol.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming