july

A Topic for those, who give this game another try.

Post by july on Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:34 pm

When Homecoming came out I didn't like it. It was too different from the previous silent hills. I mean combat, Come on.
SHV felt bad I didn't like it. The interesting thing about you guys, is that if you say your opinion. You act like it's going to be like that forever.
Well I give Homecoming a second chance, like in 2014 or something. And you know what, after getting used to the combat.
I freaking love it. It give me the experience of the silent hill, on the next gen generation consoles. I wanted to have.
Since there is no other silent hill I guess. Then again I think combat is very good. I try to explain.
REVEAL SPOILER
Then I killed all of the Smogs with the Axe, in the Grand Hotel area. Simply by dogging. Damn I loved it. Or I can say, you can kill all of the Schisms with the knife. In the police station, without even losing any health. Or the Siam. Don't even start me on that one. You can kill it with the knife also. Can you believe it.

And I love the monsters designs.
I think Homecoming got the best Nurses, in the whole series.
I liked every detail in that game after giving another try.

Let's get to the topic here. Did you liked it when you played it again. After some years. Or did it stay as bad it was.
Lets discuss. After Downpour that is.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:00 pm

I had way too much computer crap for PC Homecoming to work. So it wasn't until I got the PS3 version.
It didn't live up to the hype but I enjoyed playing through it.
It's now a popcorn comfort game to me. Not to say I hate it, but say 4 The Room had enough in Wish House second visit to make it a game to think about as opposed to the relatively brainless instincts.
Still has the best boss fights of the series.
Maybe I am easily pleased if stuck in the middle as Silent Hill Homecoming isn't as offensive and insulting as the non SHC people (Welcome to the forum by the way!) would insist on.
There was an original Team Silent but we got Silent Hill titles until they stopped making them because of whatever reasons!
Wow, it's going to be ten years old next year isn't it?
,*Braces self from endless blogs saying ten years of pain instead of truth of ten years of a really overlooked Silent Hill game that has out people off by investigating for themselves by shouting at Tomm (Who SAVED Silent Hill! Yes, I do genuinely think that)
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:25 pm

The game didn’t sit well for me when it came out in 08, and after finally hunting it down and giving it another try last year (late 2016) it still didn’t do much for me.

The game follows a rough template of SH2 with a lead character who was repressing the memory of a traumatic family event while his journey through Silent Hill ultimately confronts him with the truth. Silent Hill 2 did this by developing very interesting characters (both main and side) while focusing on the profound and poignant story of James. In Homecoming the characters never became interesting and neither did the general story that was being told. For me, this was the biggest problem with the game, it never gave me characters to emotionally invest in or a story worth caring about. And some elements of the story simply don’t make any sense.

The visual presentation was influenced from the 2006 movie, and was executed so-so in the game. Some environments were visually monotonous while other areas were quite good.

One of the things that was being touted even before the game release was the improvement of the combat system over the earlier titles. It was an interesting conceptual approach but didn’t ever feel balanced in execution. Plus up to that point, Silent Hill as a series wasn’t about boasting a great combat system. That isn’t why the game had a following. So, having Alex doing quick knife combos and rolling around during fights really wasn’t an improvement for a series that had always been far less about godofwaring and more about surviving a nightmare. Also, Alex having military maneuverability and assaults suddenly makes no sense when the truth of his history is revealed.

Monster design was good, and overall the boss battles were respectable. I personally found the first two (Sepulcher and Scarlet) to be the best.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 am

Royal Fizzbin wrote:. Also, Alex having military maneuverability and assaults suddenly makes no sense when the truth of his history is revealed.

^^^ Image ^^^

The thing I was most disappointed about was the early concept of having to hide and move around while bumping objects in your path would alert enemies. Which never came to fruition.

july

Post by july on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:29 am

Really freaking great post.

For me you can't like all silent hill games at the same time. There would be always one silent hill game that you like in your mind. And the one you dislike compare to it. Still it changes in mind.
Well I can't like Homecoming compare to Silent Hill 2. Always one would be more favorable, one of them.
Or SH 4 and SH1 and so on.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 pm

What most don't realise is tha tHC was going to much much worse....

Tomm actually saved that game and the franchise as in the original concept Josh was supposed to have telekinesis like Alessa and Alessa would return for them to do battle over Toluca lake Drangon ball z style ...

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:56 pm

I always really enjoyed Homecoming but I was pretty disappointed in a lot of things about it. I was never one to be pissy about the combat and I thought it was fun.

Though if you just dodge and counter you can pretty much easy mode anything.

I loved the soundtrack (as always) the story was beautiful and well crafted (until the twist). The environments were nice and mostly fun.

But the twist ruined a lot and was so unoriginal and bland. You have a 'soldier' going to fucking Silent Hill and that's so full potential and they go with mental asylum?? Come on! He could have snapped on his brother with PTSD and knocked him into the goddamn lake or something but no, let's go with that. Epic lame.

It had such a brilliant chance to tell what could have been an important story dealing with war argh.

The only other thing that really pissed me off was the cult and having the members attack you. On top of that they were copied from the movie. Also the retarded Saw shit. They could have shown the torture and abuse through so many better means (just imagine what the otherworld could have been like with having that level of torture and pain?).

I'm actually going to be replaying it again soon (I've been going through the whole series again slowly). Kinda excited for it honestly. If anything it was probably the most fun to play.

Return to Silent Hill Homecoming