Borman

Climax Solent Prototype Demo

Post by Borman on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:28 pm

This demo was made Climax Solent before development really got going at Climax LA (before shifting to the UK). It is from before the game was announced, and really was meant to get a foundation going that would serve as a guideline for the rest of the game's development.

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:59 pm

Finds like these are incredible. Thank you and keep it up, man.

As for the demo itself, it felt like a bad 80's movie. This would have...not gone over well to say the least. It's a very blatant Resident Evil 4 ripoff and not even a good one like Cold Fear.

0rigins is one of my favorites in the series and I'm glad Climax UK got it.

Borman

Post by Borman on Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:56 pm

Well the thing to remember is that this was really a vertical slice to have something to show and to build off of. It predates the games announcement at e3 2006, so its about as early as something resembling gameplay can get (bar the earlier builds leading up to this :P).

That said, Im sure Konami was thinking "If it worked for RE, it could work for us!" The idea isn't a terrible one, but I think the psychological aspects of Silent Hill make it far more difficult to pull off well.

DipDop

Post by DipDop on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:11 am

I watched your first video too. There were some great ideas in there and some horrible ones. I actually liked the Mr. Twilight idea.

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks for posting these. Now that's "behind the scenes", haha. Really interesting.

"That guy seems grumpy, let's avoid him". LOL :chainsaw: :roll:

For now... :skeptical:

Borman

Post by Borman on Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:18 pm

I should have done a side by side of all three builds of this demo.

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:51 pm

Super interesting stuff.

But wow that game was awful. I love seeing it out of sheer fanboy intrigue but holy shit it's terrible hah.

Borman

Post by Borman on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Most prototypes are far worse :P

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:00 pm

Most prototypes are far worse :P

This lol. In fact even in "alpha" and "beta" stages, a lot of games either look horrible or are barely/unplayable, sometimes both. It can be this way even in the final months of development, because of the very nature of game development (shit can change drastically at any moment, so fine-tuning and performance optimizations are usually the last things to happen.) Usually when you see a preview build or a trailer or public demo, it's pretty much a special build meant to be as presentable as possible for obvious reasons, which is why lots of trailers and commercials since the 80's at least were "bullshots" as they were called -- representations of gameplay which weren't 100% faithful and accurate.

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins