Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

The Butcher

Post by Hell Descended on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:36 pm

Moving on from the topic of Pyramid Head, which I think we covered pretty thoroughly on that zombie post, I wanna start up theory and discussion on the Butcher and what he is/what he could represent. The following are my thoughts alongside the commonly held thoughts.

The clearest signal from the Butcher, his mannerisms, what he does, and his involvement in the bad ending, is that Travis is a serial killer and the Butcher is his shadow of sorts.

Something I am very certain on, is that Silent Hill does not call serial killers and psychopaths. If I were to write "how to write a silent hill character" that would be at the top of the do-not list. The reason for that is that psychopaths and serial killers are detached people who cannot understand the emotions of others, only imitate them, and who can understand why something is wrong but still see no reason not to do it. And at its core, Silent Hill is a place that calls people in order to show them something about themselves, right? People get a revelation, or remember something, or their sins are shoved in their face so they can face them. It's arguable that it's a place that does good, if in dangerous ways. Even if it isn't, the method in which it does so would have little effect on someone with the mental afflictions outlined above.

Of course, even with this interpretation, there's still wiggle room. First and foremost, Travis does not have to be a serial killer to be a murderer. I have heard split and opposite personality suggested, and I think that's likely--the Butcher seems to be the exact opposite of the Travis presented to us. There's also the fact that at the time Travis was in Silent Hill, the plot to summon the God into Alessa had only just been initiated, and so there's two forces working against each other and affecting Silent Hill in the process. Even if you accept the no-psychos rule as true as Alessa controls Silent Hill, the God could very well not work that way and twist a serial killer's mentality. It is an evil abomination that feeds on suffering, after all. Following this train of thought would make Travis, as the first conduit for Silent Hill fuckery alongside Alessa, a special case and a serial killer. There's support for this last one in Walter Sullivan, who is a serial killer, and his Otherworlds--he is the conduit, rather than say, Henry, and his Otherworlds don't have anything to do with Alessa, only the God. So the only times we see serial killers in the SH series is when the God has some measure of influence.

There's also the resemblance to Pyramid Head. Details in Origins openly compare the two, which is why I accept the Butcher as a reference to PH, not a rip-off. I have a theory that I don't see a lot of people share that the Butcher may be an early, malformed iteration of Pyramid Head. As previously stated, the shitshow between Dahlia, Alessa, and the Order's God has only just hit the fan when Origins takes place. Assuming that things develop rather than occur instantly, it's possible the Butcher could be what Pyramid Head was before he took on a clearly defined shape and role. The metal mask covering half the head, the oversized, dragging blade, the inhuman height and butcher's smock. This is as unlikely as it is likely, I admit, and the evidence pointing against this theory is, to begin with, the fact that Travis kills the Butcher, while Pyramid Head is apparently immortal and has never been slain by any hand but his own.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Hell Descended on Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:21 am.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

The Butcher

Post by Otherworld on Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:32 pm

I can accept that The Butcher is a reference to PH, And as shown in the other thread about PH, the entity was around before the Butcher as the photo is up in the Gillespie home before the Butcher makes his debut.

There is something about the fact that The Butcher's helmet is split right down the middle, suggesting it may symbolize a split personality.

Side note: I know we aren't happy with youtuber RagnarRox, as he has stolen some theories, but he does make decent videos....

Just an FYI, I do not think Travis had any powerful psychic abilities ..... I believe Alessa used Travis as a conduit.

Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

The Butcher

Post by Hell Descended on Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:27 pm

Otherworld wrote:
Just an FYI, I do not think Travis had any powerful psychic abilities ..... I believe Alessa used Travis as a conduit.

You misunderstand me. By "conduit", I mean "the person who the town is basing the environments and monsters around". Travis and Alessa are conduits in Origins, Alessa is the conduit in 1, James is the conduit in 2, Walter is the conduit in 4, and so on and so forth. I don't mean to imply that Travis has any psychic powers.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

The Butcher

Post by Otherworld on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:38 pm

Hell Descended wrote:
Otherworld wrote:

You misunderstand me. By "conduit", I mean "the person who the town is basing the environments and monsters around". Travis and Alessa are conduits in Origins, Alessa is the conduit in 1, James is the conduit in 2, Walter is the conduit in 4, and so on and so forth. I don't mean to imply that Travis has any psychic powers.

Sorry, I understood what you meant. I am using the word conduit to describe how I believe Alessa is channeling her power through Travis, which allows him to move between worlds.

I don't believe Travis has any psychic abilities as the video I posted earlier suggests.

Borman

The Butcher

Post by Borman on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:27 pm

Ill see if I can find the design document for this and get a clear answer hah

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins