Angie84

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Angie84 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:17 am

I bought it a long time ago,but never finished it. I thought that i would give it another shot,so i started playing it yesterday. I stopped playing in the motel. It was just too boring and predictable. find items,get the flauros piece and repeat. My other complaints are: the environments are too dark,too many useless "weapons" and also too many guns....it almost became like a shooter. and it doesnt have the deep psycological terrror like silent hill 2..wich i think is the best game ever. In that game almost everything you saw had a deeper meaning. Thats lost in the recent games....plus the main character is sooooo boring and doesnt seem to react much to the strange things around him.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:44 pm

Angie84 wrote: doesnt seem to react much to the strange things around him.

Well, to be fair, characters from SH2 did the same thing.

BBrad

Post by BBrad on Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:00 pm

Angie84 wrote:I bought it a long time ago,but never finished it. I thought that i would give it another shot,so i started playing it yesterday. I stopped playing in the motel. It was just too boring and predictable. find items,get the flauros piece and repeat. My other complaints are: the environments are too dark,too many useless "weapons" and also too many guns....it almost became like a shooter. and it doesnt have the deep psycological terrror like silent hill 2..wich i think is the best game ever. In that game almost everything you saw had a deeper meaning. Thats lost in the recent games....plus the main character is sooooo boring and doesnt seem to react much to the strange things around him.

I agree with the last part, I found Travis incredibly dry and mundane. Overall I enjoyed Origins even though it didn't really do anything that hadn't been done before and lacked any real stand-out plot,characters,enemies,environments etc... I guess it was a rather bland game when I think about it, but it's head and shoulders above the gruel that we have been fed recently (Homecoming, Shattered Memories, Downpour, Book of Memories).

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:30 am

To each their own. I thoroughly enjoyed the game for what it was (if I wanted to experience SH2 again, I'd just play it). I was always impressed with the fact that Climax UK did as good a job they did when they had less than a year to develop the game.

BBrad

Post by BBrad on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:08 am

NarooN wrote:To each their own. I thoroughly enjoyed the game for what it was (if I wanted to experience SH2 again, I'd just play it). I was always impressed with the fact that Climax UK did as good a job they did when they had less than a year to develop the game.

Yeah heard a story that something went tits up with the development of the original origins and they had to scrap something together in 9 or so months. I never understood why people always use that argument (if i wanted SH2 again, i'd just play it), usually I assume that it means people want another great survival horror with a well crafted psychological element, not necessarily the same game.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:37 am

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea origins is boring, but SH2 can be a walking simulator. Especially at the beginning, and it's not boring.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:35 am

BBrad wrote:great survival horror

Funny thing is that SH2 just isn't that good of a game when it comes to "survival".

Fur

Post by Fur on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:37 am

I thought Origins did stand out a lot in terms of level design and puzzles. Gameplay wise I actually enjoyed collecting all sorts of tools & items and then using them in battle, it almost felt rewarding in a way.
Also, it's a little funny how there cannot be a thread without SH2 being mentioned.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:48 am

I never understood why people always use that argument (if i wanted SH2 again, i'd just play it), usually I assume that it means people want another great survival horror with a well crafted psychological element, not necessarily the same game.

SH2 doesn't do a very good job at being a survival horror game.

And no, I'd much rather the devs of any new game try to do something totally new rather than just doing boring retreads of previous titles. Plus any time the devs even left so much as a nod towards SH2 in a game, the fans just bitched about it anyway, so there's no winning.

BBrad

Post by BBrad on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 am

Oh lord, the can of worms has been opened.

Silent Hill 2 is a survival horror by the definition offered by wikipedia "Survival horror is a subgenre of video games inspired by horror fiction that focuses on survival of the character and trying to scare the player(s).".

You are given scarce ammo,health, usually resorting to using melee weapons to surviving scary monsters. Also SH2 isn't that easy, I played on the hard action level right off the bat and I died a fair number of times. It's easy for me to say now that RE4 is a streak of piss on Professional difficulty since I finished the game god knows how many times on lower difficulty settings and in turn I know the game and its mechanics off by heart.

When I said great survival horror game, I meant a game that is great and is part of the survival horror genre, I was not referring to the competence of its survival mechanics.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:11 pm

SH2 actually gives you plenty of health and ammunition. It also makes it where you really don't have to even fight back on most bosses because the battles are all timed. Making the enemies even less threatening.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:10 pm

Silent Hill 2 is a survival horror by the definition offered by wikipedia "Survival horror is a subgenre of video games inspired by horror fiction that focuses on survival of the character and trying to scare the player(s)."

I didn't say SH2 wasn't survival horror. I said it simply doesn't do a very good job at being a survival horror game.

You are given scarce ammo,health, usually resorting to using melee weapons to surviving scary monsters.

SH2 is the one game in the series that gives the players the most amount of excessive supplies. There is literally health and ammo in every other room, and on every other corner on the outside map. Every time I played the game, whether on Normal or Hard, I always made it to the final boss fight with like four ampoules and just a gazillion health drinks and medkits, and a kablillion pounds of ammo for all the weapons. SH2 is not hard even on Hard difficulty. Probably the easiest game in the series, all things considered.

When I said great survival horror game, I meant a game that is great and is part of the survival horror genre, I was not referring to the competence of its survival mechanics.

All of the SH games are survival horror games, but whether or not they're great is up to the individual. A lot of people fangasm over SH2, but that doesn't mean if someone thinks it's just okay or even mediocre, that they're wrong. Likewise, the people who liked HC or DP or what have you aren't "wrong" if they think those games are great.

BBrad

Post by BBrad on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:19 pm

To Anigav: I didn't know that the bosses were timed on my very first playthrough. I just feel that when a game equips you with weapons/ammo and you choose to run away for an extended period of time, it all just seems a bit counter-intuitive. Also your avatar is staring into my soul, and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:41 pm

I didn't know for years until Whitney went through the game without fighting monsters. Including bosses.

Haha, it's Chichi Chiyo or Chiyo's dad from the anime Azumanga Daioh.

Nachtwaechter

There is no reality, only perception.

Post by Nachtwaechter on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:07 pm

Not trying to defend this game or anything, but characters not reacting to everything remotely creepy is not necessarily a bad thing.
Having your main character freak out all over the place always makes me feel like the game is trying to show me how to react, but horror games shouldn't have to tell you when to be scared. If it does its job, you don't need a protagonist emoting at everything because it's your job to piss your pants.

BBrad

Post by BBrad on Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:38 pm

NarooN wrote:
All of the SH games are survival horror games, but whether or not they're great is up to the individual. A lot of people fangasm over SH2, but that doesn't mean if someone thinks it's just okay or even mediocre, that they're wrong. Likewise, the people who liked HC or DP or what have you aren't "wrong" if they think those games are great.

Woah Jabroni ;) I hope you aren't suggesting that I said anyone here is wrong, we're all entitled to our opinion etc... I wasn't a fan of anything post-Origins and I just felt that SH2 executed the psychological element alot better than latter installments in the franchise (and most games in general).

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:48 am

Haha I know, I was just speaking in general to get my point across.

PyroYoshi

Post by PyroYoshi on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:40 pm

SH2 is the one game in the series that gives the players the most amount of excessive supplies. There is literally health and ammo in every other room, and on every other corner on the outside map. Every time I played the game, whether on Normal or Hard, I always made it to the final boss fight with like four ampoules and just a gazillion health drinks and medkits, and a kablillion pounds of ammo for all the weapons. SH2 is not hard even on Hard difficulty. Probably the easiest game in the series, all things considered.

I think SH1 actually gives you more ammo than 2 does, but then again 1 seems to have a higher amount of monsters prowling around than any other game in the series.

2 would obviously be difficult on hard mode, but it wouldn't be as difficult as 1,3 or 4 on hard mode. I did a SH3 hard run once and I can honestly say I have no intentions of ever doing it again.

Anyway, getting back to Origins I think it's an alright SH. It's really not bad for a game that originally came out for the PSP. I actually played it recently.

Travis isn't the most interesting protagonist, but sometimes he'll offer his insight on things. For example, if you go into the Andy's Books store and examine the horror books, he'll say "I don't need anything like this, the thoughts in my head are bad enough." If you examine the comedy books, he'll say, "Other people's jokes don't make me laugh."

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:54 am

I had fun playing this game. Only problem was that there were lots of enemies in the game and I love to explore the town so I ended up killing all the enemies I encountered just to explore. Needless to say I got the bad ending first go

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown on Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:51 am

BBrad wrote:Oh lord, the can of worms has been opened.

Silent Hill 2 is a survival horror by the definition offered by wikipedia "Survival horror is a subgenre of video games inspired by horror fiction that focuses on survival of the character and trying to scare the player(s).".
You can literally run past about two thirds of the enemies in SH2. Scarce ammo and health, not a problem. Granted, I did only beat the game on normal. :(

As for Origins, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure it wasn't as memorable as the original three, but I actually thought the mechanics were much better. I enjoyed the dark environments, and the monsters were much harder to avoid than in previous games, which made the combat all the more enjoyable. Travis was not a particularly dynamic character, but neither was Harry. Overall, I felt like Origins was more of a throwback to SH1. It had a similar feel for me. And frankly, drawing comparisons with SH2 and Origins seems silly, considering SH2 was really very different than most of the other installments.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

Next

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins