Oohfakanorus

Member

User avatar

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Posts: 2285

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United Kingdom

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Oohfakanorus on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:36 am

Angie84, you've come that far, if you complete the game you do get better unlockable weapons than SH2's "Chainsaw".
The acoustic guitar part at the beginning of Origins. That's still the music that plays in my head when I feel like playing a Silent Hill game. Above all the other themes.
I preferred Origins to Homecoming. But I still love Homecoming.
No results found for oohfakanorus.
 
 
 
 
 

PMS_Akali

Member

Posts: 220

Joined: Sep 22, 2014

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by PMS_Akali on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:26 pm

I thought it was alright. I like how they tried to keep the general feeling of the previous games. But good lord, weapons being breakable is so terrible it made me hurt inside. I think Origins is only boring for the fact that it tells a story we already know. Except it gives us the boring stuff we don't care about with changing a lot of the source material.

I thought the levels were as well designed as the previous games. The sanitarium being the best example.

Travis having his past be dark and depressing felt really tacked on just for the "Characters need dark, complicated back-stories because SH2 is a fan favorite". It had the best exploration since 3. And the monster designs weren't too bad, either.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:17 am

PMS_Akali wrote:I thought it was alright. I like how they tried to keep the general feeling of the previous games. But good lord, weapons being breakable is so terrible it made me hurt inside. I think Origins is only boring for the fact that it tells a story we already know. Except it gives us the boring stuff we don't care about with changing a lot of the source material.

I thought the levels were as well designed as the previous games. The sanitarium being the best example.

Travis having his past be dark and depressing felt really tacked on just for the "Characters need dark, complicated back-stories because SH2 is a fan favorite". It had the best exploration since 3. And the monster designs weren't too bad, either.


The breakable weapons feature was continued with in Downpour. I can understand certain weapons being breakable, like chairs, but the axes! Also Murphy's melee combat was useless. Why they put that in is beyond me. If my weapon broke and I had nothing, I'd just run!

But I digress.

Origins is bad if you're impatient. There is a lot of subtle detail which you can observe in-game with Travis if you take your time. However the abundance of monsters hinders this. Also, I wish they diversified the look of the environment, in particular with the Otherworld...but that isn't a major issue.
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Borg on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:21 am

Well, Axes do have wooden handles.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:04 am

devil hunter wrote:Well, Axes do have wooden handles.


:o
So they do lol :oops:
 
 
 
 
 

clips7

Member

User avatar

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Posts: 2321

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United States

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by clips7 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:03 am

devil hunter wrote:Well, Axes do have wooden handles.




I guess that would explain Wrenches and crowbars breaking too?..on human flesh?...:lol:...I despise breakable weapons. Downpour's implementation of it wasn't that bad since there was alot of weapons around, but it was still annoying to keep track of weapon strength and things of that nature when things got heated.

As far as Origins go? I've stated quite a few times i didn't like this game simply because it wasn't needed. The very first SH game gave you enough information to grasp what was going on with Alessa and how the whole madness of the town started anyway...Origins ran the risk of mucking up the joint by trying to include story mechanics that wasn't needed....it's why i hate prequels....we already played the original "Origin" story in SH1...there was no need for this game to be made...

It also cast certain characters in a different light than what we saw in SH1....Origins is the only SH game i don't have and never will purchase.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Borg on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:48 pm

I've got nothing on that, maybe they're built in a shitty way from shitty materials that are pretty rusty :P

Well, you're not technically hitting something human too XD
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:08 pm

clips7 wrote: Downpour's implementation of it wasn't that bad since there was alot of weapons around, but it was still annoying to keep track of weapon strength and things of that nature when things got heated.


Agreed,
You're in the midst of an intense fight and then all of a sudden your weapon breaks. Personally I don't like running away from enemies, because of the possibility that if I need to go back into the same area or if I haven't finished exploring, I will encounter them again. So for a weapon to break on me in the middle of battle was frustrating as hell!

clips7 wrote:As far as Origins go? I've stated quite a few times i didn't like this game simply because it wasn't needed. The very first SH game gave you enough information to grasp what was going on with Alessa and how the whole madness of the town started anyway...Origins ran the risk of mucking up the joint by trying to include story mechanics that wasn't needed....it's why i hate prequels....we already played the original "Origin" story in SH1...there was no need for this game to be made...

It also cast certain characters in a different light than what we saw in SH1....Origins is the only SH game i don't have and never will purchase.


Travis' story was beautifully done nonetheless. I particularly enjoyed the cutscenes involving younger travis and his parents. They were gripping for me.
You should play the game.
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by CrazyCatLady on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:01 pm

I hated how things like fire extinguishers and crowbars were breakable in Downpour. COME ON NOW :lol:
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:57 pm

Nutmeg wrote:I hated how things like fire extinguishers and crowbars were breakable in Downpour. COME ON NOW :lol:


I think the weaponry and combat gameplay in downpour certainly stayed true to survival horror gameplay... if not overdoing it.
I wish they had given you the option to use auto-aim or to lock on to targets for those who wanted an easier combat experience.
 
 
 
 
 

Borg

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6606

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Borg on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:02 am

I think Tomm said here there is lock-on.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:02 am

devil hunter wrote:I think Tomm said here there is lock-on.


I've never experienced lock-on or auto aim when I played downpour. I just had to back up and then aim the gun and fire. Basically manual aiming.

But you are right.
http://au.ign.com/wikis/silent-hill-downpour/Basics

On the xbox 360, it says Left trigger is for lock-on/auto-aim. I will have to try it out.
 
 
 
 
 

PMS_Akali

Member

Posts: 220

Joined: Sep 22, 2014

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by PMS_Akali on Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:58 pm

There really is a lock-on. It's more like Murphy had too many drinks and is attempting to aim....but it's there.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Silenthill4life

Member

Posts: 1109

Joined: Jan 04, 2015

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:49 pm

PMS_Akali wrote:There really is a lock-on. It's more like Murphy had too many drinks and is attempting to aim....but it's there.


I wish the combat was still more effective, close to HC, It wouldn't be entirely out of the question for Murphy to have good combat considering he was a prisoner and from what we saw of him in the violent cutscene involving Napier.

There were instances where I felt like a ragdoll in my playthrough.
Last edited by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:35 pm.
 
 
 
 
 

Salah Talih

I thought this game was so boring....

Post by Salah Talih on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:33 pm

Oh god of Silent Hill! Am I the only person on these Forums who prefers Ørigins the most?!! Ørigins is a must-play Silent Hill game, if you don't play it, you'll miss alot from the main series games, since it's the first Silent Hill game you should play.

All the solid fans knows that the right order to play Silent Hill games is: 1. SH: Ørigins (Zerø) 2. Silent Hill 1 3. Silent Hill 3.

But the order of the games is not what we're talking about here, we're talking about the gameplay, storyline and the combat system. The controls were a lot better than Silent Hill 3 (I know many will agree) and by gameplay, I mean the controls. The storyline (If you understand it) is way better than Silent Hill 2 (I know many will disagree, haha) but it's only good when you understand it. The storyline, in general, is that Travis is a man that had a troubled childhood because of his mind-sick mom, since Travis refused to continue studying, his mom goes crazy and decides to kill him, though his father prevents Helen from doing it. So Travis became a trucker since he had nothing else to work. And just like the good old Harry Mason, he's stuck in the middle of something that exceeds his power, Silent Hill. All what Travis sees is a mind-manipulation and a disturbance caused by his childhood. I won't spoil anymore stuff, but I think that now you know why Travis sees his parents as monsters.

So please, give that game some more respect, since it has those Silent Hill elements that we like about any other games, like the horror element that exceeds the horror of SH4: The Room.
 
 
 
 
Previous


Return to Silent Hill 0rigins



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest