Rodox_Head

John Honckley Jr.

Draw My Life: Travis Grady (spoilers)

Post by Rodox_Head on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:28 am

Upon studying the crude, childish drawings found in Cedar Grove Sanitarium just before the Momma boss fight, I've noticed that they may not just be there to look creepy. They appear to form an outline of Travis' life up to the games start.

Travis with both his parents.
Helen's descent into insanity. (note the unhappy expression and empty eyes.)
Helen's attempted murder suicide.
Richard's suicide. (note Richard's mocking expression. Remember the line "Laughing dad, do you know what you've done this time to me?")
Travis' attempts to block these memories.
Helen in Cedar Grove.
Travis clinging to memories of a loving mother.
"A monster, or a child?" The best way to describe Travis, sadly.
Travis remembers being the "devil child" to his mother.
Repression
Even more repression.
The Gillespie house.

This adds to my theories that Travis spent his whole upbringing obsessing over his traumatic childhood memories, and that he and Alessa may have been destined to cross paths.

What do you guys think?
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Xuchilbara

Survival Whore

Post by Xuchilbara on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:35 am

Now I'm curious. .. Why did he draw the Gillespie house?
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Rodox_Head

John Honckley Jr.

Post by Rodox_Head on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:18 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:Now I'm curious. .. Why did he draw the Gillespie house?

Well, it may not be THE Gillespie house, but it represents the events that take place at the beginning of the game. Travis may not have lived far from Silent Hill seeing as he had many visits to the Riverside Motel and Cedar Grove, so the spiritual powers of the town may have set up his fate later in life (I hate falling on that reason, btw). See my "Travis and Alessa" thread for my reasons as to why that may be. I do believe fate was involved in their encounter, though.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

ERROR

Post by ERROR on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Or, you know, it could just be the house in which he was almost murdered.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:56 pm

^ Yes it could but I tend to agree with HoneyandtheBear here as the pictures seem to be in chronological order.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:14 pm

The scribblings seem to get more and more chaotic as they go along. Starts off pretty simple and recognizable, but by the ends it's just violently scribbled nonsense.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Rodox_Head

John Honckley Jr.

Post by Rodox_Head on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:18 pm

jam6i wrote:The scribblings seem to get more and more chaotic as they go along. Starts off pretty simple and recognizable, but by the ends it's just violently scribbled nonsense.

It makes sense. Travis' life becomes more of a blur to him over the course of his life. On a side note, I find that to be one of the most horrifying concepts.
ERROR wrote:Or, you know, it could just be the house in which he was almost murdered.

We already have a picture of Helen in the act, it would be unnecessary to show just the house, and I agree Otherworld, they do seem to appear mostly chronological.

P.S. I feel proud that several different SH Experts are viewing my findings. :)

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:30 pm

What do you think the odds are that these could be drawings done by Helen? Considering they line the walls of the room right before her solitary chamber, I'd like to think they could also be from her (although it probably fits Travis better).

Although i never really thought about who even drew them until now. Could be anyone really. Even the Cedar Grove head janitor on a reallllly slow work day :)
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Rodox_Head

John Honckley Jr.

Post by Rodox_Head on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:58 am

It actually would be fitting that Helen could have drawn those. She too underwent a descent into madness before she would even act proud of her attempted murder. This reminds me of the lyric from Shot Down In Flames.

"Breath on the glass, once again feel her pull you in"

In fact, I think Shot Down In Flames is about Travis becoming like like his deranged parent. Parts of the song sound like they're coming from the perspective of both Travis or a Cedar Grove doctor. I think I may make a song analysis thread sometime, as they are pretty strong tracks.

Xuchilbara

Survival Whore

Post by Xuchilbara on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:18 am

Just going back to the house subject. I accept the possibility it could be his family home. But I also have a passing thought of what if the Gillespie house was originally his house? I can't think of Dahlia living there forever.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:08 am

Interesting discovery. I don't think I noticed these on my playthroughs back then somehow, either that or I simply forgot (haven't played since late '07/early '08.) I agree that the drawings appear to be encountered in chronological order. The significance of the house, if it is the Gillespie house, could be a sort of precognition deal since Travis and Alessa were sorta kindred spirits, but who knows.

Rodox_Head

John Honckley Jr.

Post by Rodox_Head on Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:22 pm

It's amazing how much story Climax was able to cram into such a short game and how easy it is to overlook. Travis himself never spoke too much about himself in the game but at least we have stuff like this to give us a glimpse into his past (possibly). Let's not forget that his name remained Grady, so he may have never had another set of parents. That's gotta say something about these pictures as well.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:26 am

I knew the drawings were about Travis' life but I thought they were drawn by Alessa, as a way of forcing Travis to confront his own demons and conquer them whilst he concurrently fights to prevent the order from fulfilling the ritual.
It would make sense too because Travis is clearly perturbed by the pictures and Alessa is shown as 'pushing' Travis to confront the past with the flashbacks/boss battles (which infuriates Travis, as shown in the cutscenes when he interacts with her, i.e. "Happy? You dug up my parents. What now? When do we get to look inside your sick little mind?")

It's Alessa's way of helping Travis become stronger and to move on with his life after he stops the order.
(although how successful this is speculative, considering his truck is found by Alex in SH Homecoming, implying he still hasn't overcome his demons).

It would also make sense for Alessa to have drawn the pictures because it would explain why the Gillepsie house is present without needing to substantiate Travis as having precognition or being kindred spirits with Alessa. Also they are children's drawings and Alessa is a child at the point in time Travis finds them.
I wouldn't say he drew them because he keeps wondering who drew those pictures (but I understand how given his suppressed memory from PTSD he wouldn't remember having drawn them as a child to cope with his struggles)

Still, a really great thread!

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:37 pm

^ I agree that this is a very good possibility as well.

It makes a lot of sense .............

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins