How did you find the inventory management?

I had no problems
No votes
It was manageable
29%
Indifferent
29%
It could've been better..
14%
Horrible!
29%

Total votes : 7

MuFc l mAtt

Inventory Layout: Problematic or Not?

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:16 pm

So, throughout the game I found the inventory to be very strange in terms of layout, but the biggest factor was that of not being able to drop weaponry and this meant for the tedious task of scrolling and scrolling just to find that particular piece of desired weaponry. This became such a factor that by about the 2/4 mark I had dropped melee weapons altogether(I'm sure I picked up a katana at one point..), instead opting for the firearms being that they were far fewer in number.

In short, this wasn't exactly gamebreaking, but it did limit my playstyle, which was a shame down to the sheer number of weapons included within the game world.

- Did you find this to be problematic?

- Was there any difference between that of the PSP version and the later released PS2 version in terms of rectifying this problem?
-

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:27 pm

I am indifferent to it. It was annoying going to pick an item and the weapons menu suddenly popped up. But I think that might be a PS2 thing.
On my first few plays, the mass of items Travis could pick up did bother me until I worked out
REVEAL SPOILER
shoot an enemy and the minute they are down, use the items to break over them and then get another item
No results found for oohfakanorus.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:36 pm

The only real problems I had with the inventory was the interactivity. For example, the images for the fire arms would swap with each other. So the handgun would have an image of the shotgun, and the shotgun would show the handgun, and sometimes all images for the fire arms would show the same image. This would make it very confusing as to what gun I was actually equipping.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:59 pm

I don't recall having many issues with it. It was crazy how I'd have like 150+ weapons on my being at any given time, but most weapons were insta-gib or close to it, so it didn't bother me much. Plus I think I recall getting a couple rare weapons that couldn't break, so I just ran with those most of the time.

MuFc l mAtt

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Okay, it must have just been a PSP-thing then. All I'll say is that I had about 50+ weapons by the end of my playthrough, and if I picked, say.. a knife, as my go-to melee weapon, when I'd switch to and from each weapon class(melee/firearm) it would just immediately default a plank of 2x4 or w/e meaning I'd then have to cycle all the way back through my inventory just to re-equip that much wanted weapon. *phew* Just typing out about this has given me a semi-headache, you now see why I was so quick to drop the whole charade and instead opt for a firearm-only playthrough.

NarooN wrote:The only real problems I had with the inventory was the interactivity. For example, the images for the fire arms would swap with each other.

Yeah, I had no problems with the glitching of images. That's a strange one. It'd be interesting to see if anyone else had this problem(PS2 / PSP).

NarooN wrote:It was crazy how I'd have like 150+ weapons on my being at any given time, but most weapons were insta-gib or close to it, so it didn't bother me much.

That's a personal thing, though, as I like rolling in style, personally. I mean, in Downpour I rolled with a shotty just because it looking so "godly" on Murph's back(even if it was floating). Some may call it "quirky" but it's a trait I despise ever so much; I played through the majority of Dark Souls with the shield on my characters back just because "it looks epic! lol" despite however much it hindered my progress and ability to put up any kind of a fight. :lol:
-

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:40 pm

The image swapping was a PS2 problem.
I really only found the melee weapon part of the inventory to be annoying, considering how many you had to use. It was pretty tedious scrolling through and trying to find something that would actually be useful.
It didn't stop me from enjoying the game though.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 pm

I can't say this for the PSP version, since it's been years since I had a psp, but I know for the ps2 version that inventory scrolling is horrible. There's a lag/delay in the inputs. It's not as quick as, bafflingly enough, the first three games. It's another example of how the games have somehow lowered in quality from the original three/four. Something as simple as inventory scrolling should not be a chore.

And identical items should always stack. If Travis picks up two televisions, keep those tvs in one spot. Don't make each individual weapon item have its own spot. WitH Travis becoming a traveling hardware store, it would have been nice if identical items were stacked. Instead it boils down to this:

"I want a tv. No, not a drip stand. No, not another drip stand. No, not a crate. No, not another drip stand. No, not weights. No, not a typewriter. No, not another typewriter. No, not another drip stand. No, not a filing cabinet. No, not another filing cabinet. No, not another drip stand. No, not another crate. No, not another crate. THERE WE GO! TV!"

And yea, I know they are spread out because all items have, stupidly enough, "health". But identical items should still stack, because all throwable items are essentially one-time use. Stack them, and when one is destroyed, just take it away from the stack.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:34 am

The items appear in the inventory in the order they were picked up. Even though I too ran into the problem of the scrolling forever thing, it could be thought of as the player's fault, since it's not necessary to pick up everything that's there. One could ignore weak weapons and only pick up strong ones, for example. I was a hoarder on my first playthrough, but didn't spend a lot of time in the inventory so I never really had many issues with the inventory.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:25 am

Wasn't as bad as SH4. I think that was supposed to be the worst inventory system in an SH game.

Salah Talih

Post by Salah Talih on Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:15 am

CrazyCatLady wrote:The only real problems I had with the inventory was the interactivity. For example, the images for the fire arms would swap with each other. So the handgun would have an image of the shotgun, and the shotgun would show the handgun, and sometimes all images for the fire arms would show the same image. This would make it very confusing as to what gun I was actually equipping.

I've had the same problem as that. (On the PS2 port. I don't think the PSP one has this)

But it was okay to me! It doesn't stops your game progress or something. Yet I don't like the inventory design, it was just... full of papers! Everything was on a paper, that bugged me.

Agent G

Post by Agent G on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:49 am

Yes, it is. The idea of breakable weapons was a nice touch. But having to cycle through so many of them in your inventory is a chore. I suppose you don't have to pick up every single weapon you come across if you don't want to do that. But there still should have been some limit to the amount of melee weapons you can carry. I think Downpour solved that problem pretty well.

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins