Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Silent Hill: Origins was originally a dark comedy...

Post by Silent Wanderer on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Silent Hill: Origins was originally a dark comedy 'inspired by Scrubs'

But developer knew that it would "be a disaster".

PSP survival horror Silent Hill: Origins was originally designed as a dark comedy inspired by US TV show Scrubs, Climax Studios has revealed.

Discussing the game's troubled development with EDGE, lead designer Sam Barlow described Origins' initial concept as "bizarre".

"It was supposed to be a dark comedy and, at some point, someone said Scrubs was [the inspiration]!" said Barlow. "We pushed back and said, 'Look, if this goes out, it will be a disaster. There's a hardcore fanbase [of Silent Hill players]."

Konami agreed, Barlow suggests, telling the developer that it "can change everything, but you've got to do it in the same time and budget".

Origins was then passed from Climax LA on to the developer's UK studio, who "rewrote the script, redesigned the levels and remade the creatures in just a week," before wrapping up development for release in November 2007.

The game received favourable reviews landing it a 78 Metacritic rating, leading to Konami pushing for a follow-up that eventually evolved into 2010 horror Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

Source: EDGE #263 through videogamer.com

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:12 pm

Actually, the article focuses on Shattered Memories. But here's the exact excerpt:
To understand the origin of Shattered Memories, you have to go right back to Silent Hill: Origins on PSP in 2007. It was the game that convinced Konami that the Portsmouth-based studio represented a safe pair of hands. It also gave Sam Barlow and his team a chance to save the day.

Initially, Origins was being developed at Climax LA in Santa Monica, but it was a troubled project. After problems with the engine and a confused high-level vision for the game, Barlow’s UK team were drafted in to pick up the pieces. “It was bizarre,” says the designer of the game they inherited. “It was supposed to be a dark comedy and, at some point, someone said Scrubs was [the inspiration]! We pushed back and said, ‘Look, if this goes out, it will be a disaster. There’s a hardcore fanbase [of Silent Hill players].’

Konami said, ‘You can change everything, but you’ve got to do it in the same time and budget.’” With the clock ticking, Barlow rewrote the script, redesigned the levels and remade the creatures in just a week. When it shipped in November 2007, Silent Hill: Origins won Climax a substantial dose of publisher goodwill. Although no one knew it at the time, the Japanese-originated, American-set Silent Hill franchise had just found a new home in the UK.

And another interesting short:
“At some point before Origins they’d greenlit the idea of a Silent Hill remake,” Barlow explains. “The logic was, ‘Hey, if we say this [Wii project] is a Silent Hill remake, it has already been greenlit and we can start working on this project right away.” The seventh game in the Silent Hill franchise was suddenly a go.
Last edited by Silent Wanderer on Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:33 pm.

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:30 am

Wow
This is insane. I guess SH fans may have a taste for dark humour...? The joke ending in SH book of memories seems to indicate this, especially:
REVEAL SPOILER
the part where Alex is "teaching" or watching his brother swim in the lake.

So were the characters, etc the same or was it intended to be different?

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Just shows how out of touch developers were with Silent Hill if true. They also have early footage on Youtube where it's a bad RE4 clone. Over the shoulder shooter. I pray Kojima actually knows what Silent Hill is suppose to be.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:27 pm

PMS_Akali wrote:Just shows how out of touch developers were with Silent Hill if true. They also have early footage on Youtube where it's a bad RE4 clone.

Which was done by different people.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Wow....even tho I wasn't a fan of Origins, it seemed like we dodged the bullet twice...with Origins AND with Homecoming...I do believe that Tomm saved that game if I'm not mistaken. I think they wanted Alessa to fight Josh or some s**t, I forgot how the story went, but ultimately Tomm saved that game from becoming a complete disaster.

I'm absolutely baffled to hear some of the ideas that was being thrown around concerning Origins....it seemed like they wanted to kill the franchise on purpose...who in their right mind would give these types of idiotic projects and ideas the green light?...>_<.

Seems like we got games like Origins, Homecoming and Downpour by accident and that is not a good thing... :shock: ....wtf is wrong with upper management and producers at konami?...Sheeit they need to bring Tom back ASAP to keep an eye on these losers..... :ninja:
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:54 pm

devil hunter wrote:
PMS_Akali wrote:Just shows how out of touch developers were with Silent Hill if true. They also have early footage on Youtube where it's a bad RE4 clone.

Which was done by different people.

Even worse. Two developers who don't know what they were doing.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:55 pm

They did an amazing job with the little time they had.

Don't see what was so un-SH with the final product.

PMS_Akali

Post by PMS_Akali on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:23 pm

devil hunter wrote:They did an amazing job with the little time they had.

Don't see what was so un-SH with the final product.

Well, the final product was fine. The ideas were not.

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Post by Ren of Heavens on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:49 am

It sounds terrible but at the same time it also sounds absolutely fantastically good because of how bad it sounds.

I'd love to see how it would have turned out just for curiosity sake if I could somehow tap into a parallel dimension.

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown on Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:47 pm

I would've been interested.. Perhaps if Origins had been made a generation later for 360 or PS3, a "dark comedy" story could have been added as a short DLC add-on. I think it could be fun, if done right.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

Borman

Post by Borman on Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:09 pm

Old thread I know, but I havent seen any real evidence of this "Dark Comedy" going anywhere. If there was a pitch, it wasn't what was being worked on.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:38 pm

Even if this never got passed the pitch stage, it kind of solidifies for me the fact that they didn't know exactly what they were doing and why I can't really place Origins on my theme of love list with the reat, even Downpour and Homecoming have it.

I don't hate Origins. But I now see the plot holes in it, the problems with the story, how it doesn't really matter per se in the scheme of things. The OST is one of my favorites and i think it was decently executed. But overall it's a weak Silent Hill game when you put it qith the rest.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Borman

Post by Borman on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Just remember though, Konami approved every little thing that they were doing :P

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:58 pm

And I would still have taken a comedy over what we've ended up with! :o
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins