Arkjoww

Horizon to Zenith

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Arkjoww on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:46 pm

It receives a half clap from me. I liked it at first when I was much younger, as I liked anything with "Silent Hill" written on it. But then I matured and got much deeper into the series and then said "meh" to Origins. It's okay. I can deal with it, but it's not my favorite.
tHiS iS a SiGnAtUrE. iS iT dIsTrAcTiNg?

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:06 am

I just wanted to say this here, I'd love to see a movie based on Travis' background. I don't think it should be a "Silent Hill" film, but just based on his backstory.
REVEAL SPOILER
A serial killer who uses his occupation as truck driver as a means of isolation and detachment from the regular world who's fueled by the mistreatment of his mother and the abandonment of his father
sounds like an interesting concept for a movie.

REVEAL SPOILER
I once saw an episode of Criminal Minds which focused on a trucker who was a Dr. Frankenstein style killer who was guided by his experience witnessing his brother, coincidentally named Travis, get killed in a tornado. He also had an abusive father if I remember correctly. So I would say it would have some potential.

I don't know if any movies are similar to Travis' story, but if there are any I'd like to see them.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 pm

I probably sound like a wimp, but I have a confession to make:.....

Origins is one of the only remaining games that still manages to freak me out to this day. That Sanitarium, man...

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:49 pm

WhiteClaudia wrote:I probably sound like a wimp, but I have a confession to make:.....

Origins is one of the only remaining games that still manages to freak me out to this day. That Sanitarium, man...

You're not alone....that Sanitarium is one of the best designed levels of any Silent Hill game. :P

Pale Bishop

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Post by Pale Bishop on Mon May 12, 2014 11:59 pm

HoneyandtheBear wrote:I just wanted to say this here, I'd love to see a movie based on Travis' background. I don't think it should be a "Silent Hill" film, but just based on his backstory.
REVEAL SPOILER
A serial killer who uses his occupation as truck driver as a means of isolation and detachment from the regular world who's fueled by the mistreatment of his mother and the abandonment of his father
That was the biggest let-down for me, not only in Origins but in Homecoming as well (I'll explain why, hold on). I wanted to see more done with the lonely trucker thing. I mean, the mostly-last-area is a motel, which is a good start, but it's sabotaged somewhat by being less about truckers and trucking and instead one specific event in Travis's past. Then there's Carrion, I guess, representative of Travis's guilt over hitting (or more specifically witnessing, as I understand it) dead animals so often on the roads.

Maybe it was O.R.T. and the great lyrics therein, but it made Travis seem like a much deeper and more interesting character than the game gave him a chance to be. Rather than focusing on him it had to try to include Alessa and confusion about the fire and her astral-projection bratty self and other such tomfoolery in order to connect as prequel. I wouldn't have minded if it was just Travis Travis-ing it up in Silent Hill with no prequel ambitions; does anyone agree? He's an amateur photographer with multiple photos on the back wall of his truck cab (as stated in some of the descriptive flavour text when examining), but we don't see his cab for more than a few seconds of the first cutscene. If we had maybe been tasked to get an item from it when the game started and had a Silent Hill 2-like view of the interior that would have helped.

I'd love for a backstory comic about Travis or indeed, as Honey says, a full movie. He barely gets to speak in the game and when he does it's simple observations or inane statements, so he's gotta emote somewhere else. He's too interesting a case study not to get a second chance.

Speaking of second chances, with the "bad" ending of Origins as a jump-off point and the fact that he has an early cameo anyway, why couldn't Travis or The Butcher appear in Homecoming as a boss? The Hostel-esque final area with the cult members running around would have been the perfect place for it. Wouldn't even have to directly state that it's him, and just let us fans make the connection. Big missed opportunity if you ask me.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:04 am

HoneyandtheBear wrote:I just wanted to say this here, I'd love to see a movie based on Travis' background. I don't think it should be a "Silent Hill" film, but just based on his backstory.
REVEAL SPOILER

It's speculated that in real life, lots of truckers are responsible for missing hitchhikers/dead hitchhikers on stretches of long highways/long rural roads. Correct me if I am wrong but I think this is particularly (and sadly) true in parts of the USA and Canada.

Salah Talih

Post by Salah Talih on Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:40 am

Cheers dude! I've finally found someone who looks at this game in the same way as I do.

I've enjoyed it more than any other Silent Hill game. The amazing idea of the burning house, the nostalgia of the hospital and last but not least, the horror of the theater and my first jump-scare on the first appearance of a puppet. All those made an amazing game! (Regardless of it's short story... I mean look at SM! Pshhh...) :pirate:

PureBlackAura

Silence Breaker

Post by PureBlackAura on Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:23 pm

*Claps Hands* I loved origins
If you like our finds feel free to Follow us at https://twitter.com/DeepGameRes or subscribe over here https://www.youtube.com/c/Deepgamingresearch

We appreciate the Silent Hill Community and all the help you've given us

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:32 am

All the analysis I've done for this game is what gave me a new view on myself. This game may have changed me for the better.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 am

HoneyandtheBear wrote:All the analysis I've done for this game is what gave me a new view on myself. This game may have changed me for the better.

Your analysis of the game was really good
I enjoyed reading it on the forum

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:32 am

Silenthill4life wrote:
HoneyandtheBear wrote:All the analysis I've done for this game is what gave me a new view on myself. This game may have changed me for the better.

And yet, I still wonder if it made an impact on anyone else as it did on me.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:23 am

HoneyandtheBear wrote:
Silenthill4life wrote:

And yet, I still wonder if it made an impact on anyone else as it did on me.

It made me appreciate just how sophisticated the bad ending was for origins. It had one of the most cohesive and detailed set-up for a bad ending ever.

Previous

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins