Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Oohfakanorus on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:31 pm

...but don't forget Spoiler tags of course!

So while my PS3 is in for repairs, I've gone back to my chunky PS2. (Why the fuck can't they make consoles as robust as the PS2?!!!) and especially the only PS2 games I have left. Which just so happen to be the Silent Hill stuff!
2,3,4, Origins and Shattered Memories.

But it's playing through Origins again that has compelled me to make this thread. It's awesome. It's really well put together. Yeah, there might be a bug in the menu where if you click one item, it turns into the picture of another thing, but I can live with that!

What I can't live without is the realistic running that stops if you are low on health. The weapons, the punching! And the unlockables. Sadly, I can't find my card that had my replay saves, so I've been playing it again off and on.
Made it to the Motel. This time, I know what I'm doing!

So yeah, I really love Origins. I don't know if the backstory stands up for you, but as a game, it's pretty near perfect.

So this is a thread to basically say "Yes! I fucking love Origins!".

Alessa bless it, and all who post in it.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

PyroYoshi

Post by PyroYoshi on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Origins is one of my least favorite SH games, but I still like it. The gameplay is fine, but its really short. It definitely feels like the shortest SH to me.

I think the game should have been longer (adding one additional, full sized level wouldn't have hurt) and the developers should have built more on Travis' back story.

I agree about the being unable to run for long periods of time aspect, it makes the game a little more realistic. As much as I enjoy Homecoming, it's rather unrealistic that Alex can continually run everywhere and not get tired.

Punching monsters is nice too, and I actually like the throwable melee weapons. It can be tricky to time the attack just right, but you can completely own the monsters with them.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Origins was pretty awesome, and I was never able to comprehend all the hate it got. People complained that it didn't tell us anything new -- well what was there new to tell anyway? It showed us Alessa making the Otherworld a lot more "powerful" or what have you, but Origins was mainly about Travis' story.

Besides that, it had some of the best gameplay in the series, at least to me. Combat was actually fun since there were a shitload of varied weapons everywhere, and there was a decent amount of replay value as well since you could unlock tons of costumes (which actually had unique abilities in themselves) and some weapons.

That said, I haven't played it in a long time since I lost my PSP copy ages ago, and never got it on PS2. I'll probably hunt down a PS2 or PSP copy at some point soon and play it in one of my emulators.

Lilith

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Lilith on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 pm

It's short because its a PSP game.

The game left a lot of questions unanswered, i like that. I loved Travis story more than Alex's. The idea he's a serial killer makes it even better.
I cease to exist on the Christmas list

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:53 pm

jacobia

Miss Poppy Brown

Post by jacobia on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:54 pm

^ :lol: 8-)
Anigav wrote:It's short because its a PSP game.

That's exactly what I was going to say :P
Anigav wrote:The game left a lot of questions unanswered, i like that. I loved Travis story more than Alex's. The idea he's a serial killer makes it even better.

I also thought along those lines :ninja:
I used to own a PSP and bought Origins when it first came out. Couldn't put the game down and was blown away by the whole SH-vibe-on-a-handheld-thing....thing. I now have it for my PS2, haven't played in like ages...yet feel compelled to return to it's foggy embrace 8-)
It isn't a dream, you only heard yourself
The means of your life, create and melt
In front of you, beneath closed lids
The path to freedom, Nirvana, here sits

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:08 pm

I liked Origins too. A lot of the reasons I see for people not liking it just seem so trivial. It's not one of my favorites, but it's not my least favorite.

Lilith

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Lilith on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:13 pm

jacobia wrote:^ :lol: 8-)
Anigav wrote:It's short because its a PSP game.

That's exactly what I was going to say :P
Anigav wrote:The game left a lot of questions unanswered, i like that. I loved Travis story more than Alex's. The idea he's a serial killer makes it even better.

I also thought along those lines :ninja:
I used to own a PSP and bought Origins when it first came out. Couldn't put the game down and was blown away by the whole SH-vibe-on-a-handheld-thing....thing. I now have it for my PS2, haven't played in like ages...yet feel compelled to return to it's foggy embrace 8-)

The soundtrack is one of the best in the entire game series, IMO.
I cease to exist on the Christmas list

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:50 am

I liked it as well. It had one of the better monsters in the series.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:40 pm

I was very happy for the PS2 port as I do not own a PSP and wanted to play the game. A good Silent Hill game to boot.

PyroYoshi

Post by PyroYoshi on Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:29 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is that I really like the motel level, mainly due to all the little things that can be seen there. A lot of the motel rooms have the guest's belongings in them, which really lets you get a picture of who was staying there, like the newly weds and the shoe fetishist.

Same thing with the staff only hallway that has all the portholes in the wall you can look through. If you come back to that area when its in the other world, there are some other things you can see. For example, one room contains a bunch of dead, gutted lying figures strung up on barbed wire.

SLDT

Post by SLDT on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:42 pm

Silent Hill: Origins was the first Silent Hill game I ever actually owned and played, and I've replayed it more than any of the others (I think I've gone through it about five time). I went through the trouble to achieve all the accolades and unlock virtually all of the bonus material in the game, too. Suffice to say, I have very fond memories of the game. Having since played the original Silent Hill, I must say that the depiction of Lisa Garland in Silent Hill: Origins really stands at odds with her depiction in the original Silent Hill, which is the only thing that I found really jarring about the game, story-wise.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm

And it's a whole new game for me as I've finally managed to unlock the night goggles!
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Uhtred

Valar Morghulis

Post by Uhtred on Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:40 pm

For what it was, I considered Origins a stellar PSP game and a good reason to own one or a Vita at least. (Next to Dissidia: Final Fantasy and DJ MAX Portable of course) The combat hit a good point in that is was bad enough for evasion to be a viable tactic while still have the option to defend yourself. As for horror it has the habit of promising and not really delivering. Which sometimes is just as good considering true tension and fear is the thought of you're ALMOST in danger, that any moment you could be attacked. It keeps the fear running on your own imagination at that point. Which used moderatly can be fine, but I felt it did it one to many times. In terms of Canon and the story as it relates to Silent Hill as a whole, I'm not gonna get into. We'll be here all day.
"Because I am Hindu, I need you to jizz in my mouth! That's how religion works!" -Jim Sterling

Youtube - https://youtube.com/heypressa. My friends and I play video games. It's not that great nor terribly original but we do it all in good fun.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:29 pm

Those night vision goggles were awesome, but I remember them almost burning my eyes out of their sockets back then.

Mercury

raging horny pussy slut

Post by Mercury on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:06 pm

I used to love Origins to death. I've since fallen out of love with it, but it's still a great addition to the series imo. I really dig the artwork and the locations. I wish some of the concept areas and enemies had made it into the game.
ya fuckin rite

DaynahDollface

Post by DaynahDollface on Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Origins is my favorite game of the series to be honest. I'm not sure if it is because it was the first of the series I played, but I just love everything about it. It gives a backstory to Alessa while giving Travis his own story. I think it's brilliant.

Fur

Post by Fur on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:41 pm

Oh I adore the game. Though I didn't think much of it on my first playthrough, I grew to love it later on.
While I still don't care much about the protagonist & his personal journey I think other aspects like level design or the gameplay were done incredibly well. Areas like sanitarium, the motel etc are fun to explore and the combat is challenging and far from being annoying.
I didn't even think the game was that short, thought it was a decent lenght.

MurphyPendleton

Don't Call Me Cupcake

Post by MurphyPendleton on Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:11 pm

I agree with Fur, I think the game was a decent length and I liked the areas you explore, like the visit to the hospital from silent hill 1. This is definitely one of my favorites of the series.

Yggdrasil

Letter ~ from the Lost Days

Post by Yggdrasil on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:55 am

I also like Origins pretty much. There are many flaws in it, which is why I do not take it to too seriously, but it was actually quite fun to play. What really addicts me to it is the environment, and of course the awesome music. Played it the first time on my PSP, and damn, that was really scary with headphones.

My favourite area is the sanatorium, because that is one huge and scary place! It also has my favourite monster in it, the Remnant. Sadly this is the only area where you can encounter them, which makes it even more awesome. I remember sneaking around them with my lights turned off, and they made their scary sounds...creepy.

Origins might not be the perfect game, but it is much better than some people make it out to be. At least more enjoyable than Homecoming and Downpour.

"They've come to witness the Beginning. The rebirth of Paradise, despoiled by mankind."

Next

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins