Lilacatz

Member

User avatar

Mayor of Silent Hill

Posts: 627

Joined: Aug 10, 2010

Location: Mexico

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Lilacatz on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 am

Purramid_Head wrote:It's short because its a PSP game.

The game left a lot of questions unanswered, i like that. I loved Travis story more than Alex's. The idea he's a serial killer makes it even better.


I've played Silent Hill 1 on the PSP. That proves the console had potential and that they could have made Origins just as complete. I really loved the game so more gameplay would have been awesome.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

DipDop

Member

User avatar

Posts: 429

Joined: Nov 25, 2013

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by DipDop on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:53 am

My first SH game. I love Origins.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Alistair

Member

User avatar

Swooping Is Bad!

Posts: 684

Joined: Mar 07, 2014

Location: United States

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Alistair on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:32 am

I love Silent Hill Origins! The story was pretty decent and Travis was a likeable protagonist. The Sanitarium and Theater are also some very memorable and well designed levels. The Sanitarium level was a nightmare when I first played it. It was able to scare me just as much as anything in Silent Hill 3 and 4. The music is also pretty good, O.R.T. is probably one of Mary's best!
I also loved that it had a variety of unlockables, making the game fun to replay.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Legacee

Posts: 13

Joined: Mar 09, 2014

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Legacee on Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Silent Hill:Origins was my first Silent Hill title I ever played, this game is what got me into the series. Since then I have played SH3, SH4:The Room, SH:Homecoming and SH:Downpour. I can't wait for the next SH title. =D
 
 
 
 
 
 

CrazyCatLady

Member

User avatar

Queen of Alien Relations

Posts: 5074

Joined: Sep 05, 2011

Location: United States

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Legacee wrote:Silent Hill:Origins was my first Silent Hill title I ever played, this game is what got me into the series. Since then I have played SH3, SH4:The Room, SH:Homecoming and SH:Downpour. I can't wait for the next SH title. =D


You should look into playing Silent Hill 1 and 2, and Shattered Memories. :)
Image
 
 
 
 
 

quixotic_frujee

User avatar

Ineffable Twaddler

Posts: 16

Joined: Mar 11, 2014

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by quixotic_frujee on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:53 am

My favorite SH game is SH3, but SHO is my second fave!
I played this on the PS2 and the Moon Gauntlets were awesome! :))

It's always nice to get a new SH game, and Travis' reason for being in Silent Hill was something I didn't expect when I first played the game.
PSN ID: quixotic_frujee
"Excuse me, do you mind not farting while I'm saving the world?"

Chronic Hero(ine) Syndrome
New Game+

"They look like monsters to you?"
 
 
 
 
 

Pale Bishop

Member

User avatar

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Posts: 118

Joined: Feb 21, 2014

Location: Canada

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Pale Bishop on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:23 pm

Yggdrasil wrote:I also like Origins pretty much. There are many flaws in it, which is why I do not take it too seriously, but it was actually quite fun to play. What really addicts me to it is the environment, and of course the awesome music. Played it the first time on my PSP, and damn, that was really scary with headphones.

My favourite area is the sanatorium, because that is one huge and scary place! It also has my favourite monster in it, the Remnant. Sadly this is the only area where you can encounter them, which makes it even more awesome. I remember sneaking around them with my lights turned off, and they made their scary sounds...creepy.

Origins might not be the perfect game, but it is much better than some people make it out to be. At least more enjoyable than Homecoming and Downpour.
Yggdrasil, you sum up my feelings exactly. O.R.T. is probably my favourite Yamaoka/McGlynn song (my favourite Yamaoka alone is Sickness Unto Foolish Death from SH3). Not only does it put my mind firmly in Silent Hill but it tells the story of Travis better than even his characterisation in the game did. It gives him a strong depth, and it makes me like the bad ending even more.
REVEAL SPOILER
I wish they could have incorporated "bad ending" serial-killer Travis into Homecoming rather than good ending Travis. Remember, as per the note obtained in the alternate stage at the Artaud Theater, serial killer Travis is now part of the cult. It would have worked with the whole "now the cult has an underground murder complex like Hostel" angle. Imagine Travis as a boss a la Eddie, wielding a sledgehammer, a butcher's knife (not THE Butcher's Knife but maybe a regular one in each hand) or a meat hook. Besides the Memory of Alessa, it's the only opportunity they had to have a previous character re-appear as a boss and they missed it. :'(

An interesting thing happened in Origins that I haven't seen since; except maybe in SH4 but it wasn't done as well. It was foggy, but at night. I mean, let's face it, it's foggy at night at least as often as it is during the day. It being dark does not disinclude it from being foggy as well. The way the fog reflected your flashlight beam in Origins was very well done. I also loved the way you could change your flashlight beam. If there was one thing I didn't like about the game, besides backstory and canonicity and all those cans of worms, was the punching. It made the game a little silly, especially when most of the other weapons were so brutal. Say what you like but throwing a typewriter at someone is pretty harsh and very violent!
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Naroon on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:04 pm

I don't think there's any difference between the "Good ending" and "Bad ending" Travis. The only difference with the bad ending is that he is consumed by his dark past as a serial killer and basically gets forcefully indoctrinated into the cult. There are various notes in the game that heavily imply that Travis was responsible for most, if not all of the murders. I believe those notes were found in the motel. Also, early on in the game, there is a small sorta-hidden pathway which will lead you to a little construction site. In this area is a shovel that you can pick up. Upon examining it, Travis remarks that it's "good for burying a hole to put a body in." If that doesn't say it all, I don't know what is. The good ending is him moving on from his past, but I love the fact that he wasn't some generic goody-goody two-shoes, but an actual deeply-flawed individual who wanted to do the right thing in the end.

It's therefore easy to conclude that Travis had some sort of psychological disorder(s), most likely as a part of the abuse he suffered as a child. The various seemingly-insane ramblings of his mother -- that she could speak to people "from the mirrors" and they told her that her child (Travis) was a devil child or some such, says even more. Regardless of this, Travis indeed wound up using the mirrors to traverse to 'another world' at will once he grew up.

As for the punching, I didn't really find it silly. If I were in a situation like he was in, and I didn't have any weapons, I certainly wouldn't just sit there and take it. I'd do whatever I could to annihilate the creatures before me, even if it were in vain.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Pale Bishop

Member

User avatar

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Posts: 118

Joined: Feb 21, 2014

Location: Canada

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Pale Bishop on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:46 am

Right… I hope everyone who has posted here thus far has played Origins, since NarooN is just recapping the basics of the story for those who haven't heard of it. (spoilers, remember NrN?)

Threat is diminished to the point of nothingness when one can just walk up and bitch-slap a twitching otherworldly thing. Luckily that strategy is nigh-impossible with some monsters such as the Carrion and Two-Back. Rather than bring me deeper into the experience it tended to push me out every time I had to use my fists. It's a good thing that the PS2 port let you go into the menu mid-battle instead of forcing the incredibly clunky manual flipping between weapons.
 
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by devil hunter on Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:29 am

I don't get why people have such a problem with punching.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Naroon on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Right… I hope everyone who has posted here thus far has played Origins, since NarooN is just recapping the basics of the story for those who haven't heard of it. (spoilers, remember NrN?)


Did you even see the premise of this thread? I'd sure hope so, since you're posting in it. The thread's premise is posing the question "Did you enjoy Origins?" It doesn't take a high level of wit to realize that if you haven't played this game and/or beaten it, you shouldn't even enter the thread. If someone didn't beat the game and they entered the thread anyway, they clearly didn't love the game and thus wouldn't give a shit about spoilers.

Threat is diminished to the point of nothingness when one can just walk up and bitch-slap a twitching otherworldly thing. Luckily that strategy is nigh-impossible with some monsters such as the Carrion and Two-Back. Rather than bring me deeper into the experience it tended to push me out every time I had to use my fists.


To each their own. The point of the fists is that it's optional. It's not as if using the fists does a shit-load of damage or anything, but it's still there as an option. Other games didn't bother with this since they didn't have breakable weapons, or if they did (SH4) only some of them were breakable.

I also don't really see how there could've been a situation where one was forced into using their fists. I only used them for shits 'n' giggles, because Origins comically had at least two pickup-able weapons in every room anyway. When I beat the game the first time, I had around 170+ weapons in my inventory.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Rodox_Head

Member

User avatar

Just here for the chit-chat

Posts: 1260

Joined: Jan 13, 2013

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Rodox_Head on Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:52 pm

NarooN wrote:
I also don't really see how there could've been a situation where one was forced into using their fists. I only used them for shits 'n' giggles, because Origins comically had at least two pickup-able weapons in every room anyway. When I beat the game the first time, I had around 170+ weapons in my inventory.


I actually found myself using fisticuffs to deal with the straightjackets for a majority of the time because I naturally wanted to use as little of my weapons as possible since they seemed to break after about two enemies. Origins was actually the first SH game where I utilized turning off the flashlight, so I didn't fight much through half the game anyway. It also helped when dealing with the carrions, as I'd turn off the flashlight so they wouldn't see me lunge a TV set at them. I usually saved my firearms for the boss fights.

Speaking of bosses, I thought they were really bland and anticlimactic. The fight with the Caliban was the only one where I felt threatened, and that's still not saying much. The Sad Daddy went down with a couple rounds of assault rifle ammo and the Alessa's Dream felt more like an interlude between cut scenes with no buildup whatsoever. The Momma boss had a cool introduction (minus Lisa's unnecessary appearance) but felt more like fighting a moving chandelier.

One thing that really bothered me throughout the game was how Travis never seemed to remark on the world around him. I always liked examining random things just to see what the character would say about it, but Travis always just said something bland like "Nothing useful here" or "Just some useless papers". People tend to give Travis a lot of flack for just going with the motions for no real reason, but I think if they let us peer more into his mind and what he was thinking, it wouldn't have seemed so trivial to go to the next POI. Like for example, I always thought the reason he headed for the sanitarium was because after hearing Kaufmann say there weren't any new patients and Lisa saying that Alessa died he probably felt something fishy was going on, so he went there because he knew Lisa would be there and she might have more information. Then again, this is only me talking because Travis NEVER says anything on his own. It certainly would have made him a lot more interesting of a character if he did

One little nitpick for me was how Travis as a child referred to his parents as "Momma" and "Daddy". It just feels really cliche for a kid to say that kind of stuff.
Image
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"
 
 
 
 
 

Pale Bishop

Member

User avatar

+-Fear not the unexplained-+

Posts: 118

Joined: Feb 21, 2014

Location: Canada

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Pale Bishop on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:38 pm

HoneyandtheBear wrote:One little nitpick for me was how Travis as a child referred to his parents as "Momma" and "Daddy". It just feels really cliche for a kid to say that kind of stuff.
I liked that detail of the game. Even as an adult he tends to call them "Momma" and "Daddy", which gives some insight into his state of mind. It's like he's still a child to some degree, or some part of his mind is still child-like. Just the way I saw it, but it made me like the game a little more.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Rodox_Head

Member

User avatar

Just here for the chit-chat

Posts: 1260

Joined: Jan 13, 2013

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:25 am

Pale Bishop wrote:
HoneyandtheBear wrote:One little nitpick for me was how Travis as a child referred to his parents as "Momma" and "Daddy". It just feels really cliche for a kid to say that kind of stuff.
I liked that detail of the game. Even as an adult he tends to call them "Momma" and "Daddy", which gives some insight into his state of mind. It's like he's still a child to some degree, or some part of his mind is still child-like. Just the way I saw it, but it made me like the game a little more.

You know, i actually take that back. It must've just been the performance of the scene that bothered me. It does bother me when children are kind of "dumbed down" for the sake of innocence though. I'm glad that 2, Origins, and Downpour handled that pretty well.

I actually did enjoy the game very much in case I gave off the wrong impression. The writing was a little messy but the gameplay was just as solid as the previous, I think. I disagree with the people that say the whole mirror thing takes the horror out of the otherworld. It may not have had the same impact as it did in previous installments, but it didn't take away from the atmosphere enough to not make it scary.
Image
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"
 
 
 
 
 

Deadalux

Member

User avatar

Posts: 745

Joined: Oct 01, 2011

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Deadalux on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:15 am

I got to play Origins again, and its fun, because a lot of the problems I used to have with this game I don't have any more.
I actually like this game. It's a game that has grown on me.
***Keep in mind whats important, even if it doesn't come true, at least you became someone who would fight for what they believe in! Much love to you all, everybody***
 
 
 
 
 

Meltdown

Member

User avatar

Posts: 951

Joined: Jun 03, 2008

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Meltdown on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:41 am

Did Origins ever get re-released for PS2? I loved Origins, and I haven't been able to play it because my little brother broke my PSP a few years ago now. Definitely one of my favorite installments though, right up there with 1 and 3. I think it was just misunderstood by a lot of folks.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by devil hunter on Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:05 am

Yes, there is a PS2 version.
 
 
 
 
 
 

PEACETALKER

Member

User avatar

Posts: 1002

Joined: Sep 10, 2012

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by PEACETALKER on Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:18 pm

I kind of don't like Origins at all but someone here mentioned the motel level which I actually remember liking a bit. Also the music is stellar.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN
 
 
 
 
 

Wilsden Hills

Member

User avatar

...#*%...!$@#<...

Posts: 787

Joined: Nov 22, 2013

Location: United Kingdom

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Wilsden Hills on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:19 pm

Well, I've just taken a de-stressing breather as Travis makes his way towards the 'Go Here' map sign in a very otherworldly town, it's been a fraught evening trying to restock the arsenal after the battle with his twisted Dad in Room 500. I've been dipping in and out of the game on my first playthrough, but for reasons unknown (though I'd suggest more than a hint of nostalgia mixed with decent game design) the Riverside Motel section really got under my skin. I honestly haven't decided yet whether it was just the buzz of old school SH gaming after a serious amount of time spent on the 360 games (HC and DP), coupled with the renewed vigour provided by finally cracking the classic SH3 on this lovely old PS2 of mine, or just an upping of the atmosphere and tension of 0rigins itself, allied to finally holding onto enough ammo and health to make any sort of confident progress, but it's got me now. Maybe it was the sublime sight of Alessa materialising through the hospital doors and turning her world to shit, that was a series highpoint for sure, as was the horror and emotion felt as Travis remembered his Dad's 'passing' in 500. The Motel puzzles were great, thought I'd cracked it before stumbling on the Rotary Calendar, spent too long there before realising it was all a matter of geographical location. And the Flauros puzzle had me pulling my hair out trying to figure out exactly what would be most likely to be displayed on its faces. Great stuff!

Whatever it was, I'm steadily, and not without a few deaths along the way, restocking and hoping for the best....I know from previous experience that when the whole town turns hellish that some sort of conclusion is in the offing. Here goes...

EDIT : Finished it! Lovely :D nice Boss fight, in terms of it being all too easy to chin the demon with a half-decent stock of ammo and a handful of health pickups. Have to say the bosses in Homecoming were a touch more fraught than that, still, really glad to have completed the game, done my bit for Alessa (or been the conduit by which she does her bit for herself), and now have the option of running around town with some rather fancy GWAR gloves on :lol:
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

If You Loved Origins Clap Your Hands *CLAP!*CLAP!....

Post by Naroon on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:09 pm

Just wait 'til you see how overpowered those gauntlets are. I remember working on a "gauntlet only" playthrough, which I don't think I ever finished due to moving on to other games at the time.
Image
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to Silent Hill 0rigins



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests