Fungo

Silent Hill Media Master

Let Me Burn...

Post by Fungo on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:57 pm

Although Alessa says "Let me burn..." in the opening, making an obvious impression that she does not want to be saved by Travis, she still uses her powers to remove the walls of fire.

Why would she do this, if she didn't want to be saved?

NightFlutter

Prodigal Son?!

Let Me Burn...

Post by NightFlutter on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:09 pm

Maybe she only said that cuz she knew it would tug at his heart and get him to pick her up all the more. Sometimes people appear to resist help when they really want it, just to the person will pour it on thicker.
"I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist."

Lobsel Vith

Let Me Burn...

Post by Lobsel Vith on Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:43 pm

This will be one of those huge debates, I can feel it. First of all it's strange that Alessa sends out her astral projection to go get Travis, but upon reentering her body demands the opposite. [The PS2 version actually shows Alessa having a minor convulsion when she opens her eyes and says this line.]

I would fathom a guess that Alessa believes that if she burns long enough then she'll die. But then that opens the question about her projection. Unless the projection also contained part of the soul that would become Cheryl, and wanted to be rescued.

Let Me Burn...

Post by 21121 on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:18 am

Maybe Alessa is already exhibiting signs of a split personality. One half wants to live, and get out of there, and the other half wants to die.

Much like sh3.

Lobsel Vith

Let Me Burn...

Post by Lobsel Vith on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:52 am

Yeah, that's pretty much what I just said. I have a theory here somewhere concerning Alessa's battle between her Eros and Thanatos.

TopCow

Let Me Burn...

Post by TopCow on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:58 am

She knew what was in store for Travis if he saved her. When he made the conscious decision to help her, she knew he had made up his mind, and decided to help him as much she could on the way out.

Lobsel Vith

Let Me Burn...

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:17 am

So in other words by Alessa saying, "Let me burn!" it's offering Travis a way out? Or rather it's asking Travis if he's positive he wants to do this?

Makes sense.

EileenGalvin

Let Me Burn...

Post by EileenGalvin on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:09 pm

yeah, that actually makes sense. That way she can at least say that she didn't force him to help her.

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Let Me Burn...

Post by Parvatii on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:59 pm

Fungo wrote:Although Alessa says "Let me burn..." in the opening, making an obvious impression that she does not want to be saved by Travis, she still uses her powers to remove the walls of fire.

Why would she do this, if she didn't want to be saved?

Am I the only person that thinks the God removed the fire rather than Alessa? I mean it protects its mother an all... :? And the Halo, represents it.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Lobsel Vith

Let Me Burn...

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:22 pm

I have a feeling the God wouldn't have done that. I feel that the longer Alessa burned, the more mature the God would have become.

And remember Alessa uses the HotS to phase through a door.

Let Me Burn...

Post by 21121 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Lobsel Vith wrote:So in other words by Alessa saying, "Let me burn!" it's offering Travis a way out? Or rather it's asking Travis if he's positive he wants to do this?

Makes sense.

Worst contract ever. I'd hate to be Travis with that kind of thing, but you do wonder if he ever goes, "I wish I just let that girl burn!"

I think the phrase can be seen in diferent lights.

Lobsel Vith

Let Me Burn...

Post by Lobsel Vith on Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:08 pm

It could also be foreshadowing somethings. I mean, remember

MAJOR SPOILER!

[spoiler]This is the same guy who kept talking to his father, even while his father was dead. Who's to say that Travis wouldn't have taken Alessa out of the house even if she were dead?[/spoiler]

Krod

Let Me Burn...

Post by Krod on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:54 pm

TopCow wrote:She knew what was in store for Travis if he saved her. When he made the conscious decision to help her, she knew he had made up his mind, and decided to help him as much she could on the way out.

I have to agree with that, she still had good in her, why would she let travis die along with her?

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Let Me Burn...

Post by Parvatii on Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:37 pm

I still say its the God, rather than Alessa.

For a number of reasons. If I remember correctly Heather despises the Halo and it makes her head hurt. I wouldn't understand why Alessa would be doing that if the symbol of the Halo is shown.

In LM it mentions the foot steps at the church representing a Alessa before the burning ritual. Alessa wants to die, hence "Let me burn". This is empasized in numerous sources, about her wanting death so badly after the descent ritual.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Lobsel Vith

Let Me Burn...

Post by Lobsel Vith on Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:56 pm

So in other words we should just completely ignore the part where Alessa, around the end of the game uses the HotS to phase through the door?

Wow. Sorry, Xuchil, but you're wrong on this. Also, Heather's head hurts when she views the HotS, because it's there to remind her of her past. Also, nowhere does it state that Alessa hates the Halo of the Sun.

NightFlutter

Prodigal Son?!

Let Me Burn...

Post by NightFlutter on Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:58 am

Lobsel Vith wrote:So in other words we should just completely ignore the part where Alessa, around the end of the game uses the HotS to phase through the door?

Wow. Sorry, Xuchil, but you're wrong on this. Also, Heather's head hurts when she views the HotS, because it's there to remind her of her past. Also, nowhere does it state that Alessa hates the Halo of the Sun.

I concur. But don't forget...it also gives Travis a headache. Why would that be?
"I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him. In spite of all his imperfections, I'm a fan of man! I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist."

Lobsel Vith

Let Me Burn...

Post by Lobsel Vith on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:17 am

Who knows? I'm not denying that there's something mystical about this circle, but I just don't believe that only God can use it. Keep in mind that it has Alessa's name in it. (along with other names.) and that she drew the Halo of the Sun before being burned.

ERROR

Let Me Burn...

Post by ERROR on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:03 pm

>and that she drew the Halo of the Sun before being burned.
I doubt Alessa drew it. Dahlia would have as part of the ceremony.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

Lobsel Vith

Let Me Burn...

Post by Lobsel Vith on Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:12 pm

I didn't say that Alessa drew the HotS that we see in SH0. I was actually referring to the childish drawing of the Halo of the Sun, seen in Alessa's bedroom, in Silent Hill 3.

Let Me Burn...

Post by 21121 on Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:29 pm

I still think that adding the HotS to SH0 in Plethoras, seems weird because this is a symbol not seen once in Sh1/2.

But not that big of a deal.

Next

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins