Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

Finished Origins

Post by Hell Descended on Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:51 am

Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! The reason I stopped posting for a hot minute was because I got Silent Hill: Origins for Christmas! I played that thing over and over 'til it was begging me to stop.

First playthrough, would you believe it, I got both the Explorer (walked a certain distance/explored everywhere) and Collector (got over 80% of items) Accolades on the first run-through alongside the Savior (Good Ending) and Weaponsmith (kill 75% of enemies with melee weapons) ones. Second run-through, I got the Butcher (Bad Ending) and Stalker (flashlight on for less than 3 hours) Accolades. Third run-through is where it got serious. I went for the Ambassador (UFO Ending), Cartographer (looked at map less than 25 times), Sprinter (finish the game in under two hours), and Daredevil (finish the game without saving once) Accolades, along with the Fireman (save Alessa in under 80 seconds) and Codebreaker (input Konami Code) Accolades. That just leaves the Sharpshooter (kill 75% of enemies with firearms) and Brawler (kill 50% of enemies with fists) Accolades, but those will require separate runs.

That Daredevil run was nerve-wracking, but I had the Moon Gauntlets by then, so it wasn't too terrible. What was really troublesome was looking at the map less than 25 times--that was hell. The Sanitarium was easily the most tedious level; finding 3 keys and wandering back and forth all over that fucking asylum was bullshit, bullshit I say! I would say it took up more of my map glances than the rest of the game combined.

The Artaud Theater was super fun. The music was unnerving, and the puzzles were interesting, and using the mirror at the last part was a very cool thing to do since it let you make different Otherworlds. The Motel after was a bitch to navigate the first time but it was still pretty cool. Fighting the Butcher was.....bad. I tried the "lob all the throwable items at him" route twice and thus died twice--I just emptied my assault rifle into him the third time and put an end to that shit quickly.

The final boss wasn't too memorable, but the cutscenes around it were--beautifully rendered. I had a lot of fun with this game and seeing the credits was rewarding each time.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Finished Origins

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:26 am

That is one thing I really liked in Origins as well. The cutscenes. I thought they were done very well.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Finished Origins

Post by Alistair on Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Hell Descended wrote: along with the Fireman (save Alessa in under 80 seconds)

I don't think I ever got this one!

It definitely sounds like you had fun with it!
Origins is a good game! The level design, the soundtrack- all of it!
I have very fond memories of this one. I remember being terrified the first time I played.

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Finished Origins

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:14 pm

SHO was a good one, in my mind it and SM are the high-points of the post-team silent development era. The story felt a bit muddy at times because of it going in several different directions. The huge inventory of TV’s and file cabinets and drip stands that Travis could run around with was comical. Level designs were generally great, though I thought they could have pushed the envelope little more for the aesthetics of the nightmare world. Perhaps the PSP hardware limited development in some of these aspects. But these were only minor nitpicks, and the overall tone of the game generally felt real good.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Finished Origins

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:14 pm

Got your pitchforks ready?
I prefer Silent Hill Origins to Silent Hill, 2 and 4!
Easily beats Homecoming.
Glad you got to love it through playing it.
Do you have any pets? Did they awake from sleep or always react whenever the GAME OVER screen happened as well!
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Finished Origins

Post by Rodox_Head on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:42 pm

I love 0rigins. Travis is easily my favorite protagonist in the series.

Oohfakanorus wrote:Got your pitchforks ready?

That's nothin', get your nooses ready for this one.
REVEAL SPOILER
I like Butcher better than Pyramid Head
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Finished Origins

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Easily beats Homecoming.
Do you have any pets? Did they awake from sleep or always react whenever the GAME OVER screen happened as well!

Rodox_Head wrote:That's nothin', get your nooses ready for this one.
REVEAL SPOILER

Heretics! Blasphemy!

Just kidding. Preferring Origins over 4: The Room is easily understandable as Origins much more so embodies what we might call a traditional SH experience, and it does so pretty competently. But Origins over 2 ...WOW! I’d be interested in hearing what elements of Origins lift it to that status for you.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Finished Origins

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:07 am

Royal Fizzbin wrote:
Easily beats Homecoming.

Rodox_Head wrote:That's nothin', get your nooses ready for this one.
REVEAL SPOILER

Heretics! Blasphemy!

Just kidding. Preferring Origins over 4: The Room is easily understandable as Origins much more so embodies what we might call a traditional SH experience, and it does so pretty competently. But Origins over 2 ...WOW! I’d be interested in hearing what elements of Origins lift it to that status for you.

The panting of enemies that charge and leap up on you wins over rattling things that spit acid you can just dodge.
It hasn't got as great a story as 2 ok, and the puzzles can't match the... OK, how about I think Origins is as good as 2 because that had the Maria part.

Origins has got Lisa's "Travis..." In the motel line as well.
If only Origins pushed the computer memory space as SH3 did! Then Origins would be more thought of.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Otherworld

Finished Origins

Post by Otherworld on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:47 pm

I wish Origins was created for a console instead of a handheld. I think that decision really hurt it in the long run.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Finished Origins

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Agreed. Even it is was ported to a more modern system, it's still going to look crappy due to lower resolution, and fewer people play handhalds so you're automatically going to have people write it off just because it was released on that.

And in the meantime, SH2 and SH3 came out earlier and still look good, and people are still playing them. Sure, I think they were better games, but I liked Origins and the odds were stacked against it from the beginning.
ImageImageImage

Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

Finished Origins

Post by Hell Descended on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Otherworld wrote:I wish Origins was created for a console instead of a handheld. I think that decision really hurt it in the long run.

Hmm? Don't you know it's available on the PS2?

Hell Descended

Homecoming Defense Squad

Finished Origins

Post by Hell Descended on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Easily beats Homecoming.

Ah, that Game Over screen. No, they didn't seem too bothered by the game, although Tigger did like to walk in front of/on top of/around the PS2 and make me afraid he was going to shut it off while I was playing by accident.

And I can see preferring it over 2 and 4. 4 Is really long, even if it's a hilarious time. 2....You know, maybe I've just experienced too many years of seeing Silent Hill 2's dick sucked, but I feel like I like it, but also hate it. It was a great game, but far from infallible as well as the greatest Silent Hill game.

Otherworld

Finished Origins

Post by Otherworld on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Hell Descended wrote:
Otherworld wrote:I wish Origins was created for a console instead of a handheld. I think that decision really hurt it in the long run.

Hmm? Don't you know it's available on the PS2?

Yes, that is how I played the game. But if it was developed for a console initially, it would have served the game much better IMO.

Return to Silent Hill 0rigins