firecrest

SH4 Creature Origin

Post by firecrest on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:05 pm

Chief Designer Masashi Tsuboyama wrote:In the game they are enemies, but I think of them as waste (resembling pieces of meat) that could have been conceived from the time that the ambiguous consciousness and memories within me took form, which then evolved within the environment of their existence. Let's say there's a lump of clay and a castle was built from it. The excess clay lumps from that time are the creatures. As biological entities with an ecotype adapted to the environment that the killer created, they are not an existence which possess malicious intent toward the main character. The creatures have gender and wisdom, and the natural capability to reproduce. The direction was also in order to give reality in their existence rather than visuals.

Source: http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/sh4/08roomq.html (Japanese)

Masashi Tsuboyama is credited as the art director and monster designer of Silent Hill 4. He shared the responsibility of monster design with Masaya Okada and Jun Inoue. Tsuboyama is also credited as the director of Silent Hill 2.

I thought I'd share this particular comment because it gives a different perspective on how the creatures came to be. Tsuboyama's comment alludes to the idea that Silent Hill 4's monsters are artifacts of what's left over from one's consciousness and memories and probably had no form initially until they started evolving in order to adapt to its natural habitat. In that sense, they are closer to a life form than a product of delusion.

Assuming that the Otherworld in Silent Hill 4 was created after Walter performed the Holy Assumption, I find myself asking what it would have looked like at the time. What we see through Henry's eyes is the state of the Otherworld 10 years later.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

SH4 Creature Origin

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:41 pm

^ I wonder .... would there be some sort of evolution involved in a sense that they grew and changed over time ....

Tabris

SH4 Creature Origin

Post by Tabris on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:35 am

I really like this. Thanks for posting that.

The monsters in SH4 were pretty cool, but at that point one of the weaker sets of monsters.

This makes the monsters in SH4 seem much more interesting.

firecrest

SH4 Creature Origin

Post by firecrest on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Tabris wrote:The monsters in SH4 were pretty cool, but at that point one of the weaker sets of monsters.

I think many people share this sentiment. We kind of get the feeling that they focused on quantity over quality, but at least now it seems like they were trying to create a believeable ecosystem, so the monsters had to have some variety based on real life.

Personally, I like the idea that the SH4 monsters were no longer solely about "manifestion of delusions" but still managed to keep the idea that they represent something about the originator. For me, the "manifestion of delusions" angle lost its effectiveness after Silent Hill 2. I think the game creators felt that as well to a degree.

The evolution angle does seem to be the foundation of why there are supposedly variations of the same monster e.g. old-type and new-type Gum Heads; Victim07+08 and Bottom monsters. In particular, Victim07+08 and Bottom probably shared a similar ancestry until they diverged, where one possibly fed off of guilt and the other, hatred.

I may try transcribing the rest of the article when I have time.

soulkeeper1234

SH4 Creature Origin

Post by soulkeeper1234 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:23 am

It is a good idea, I like your way.
ฮอลิเดย์

Return to Silent Hill 4: The Room