Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6295

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Where is the love?

Post by Otherworld on Thu May 21, 2015 8:29 am

clips7 wrote:^^^Just listen to the sounds effects in this commercial...that is my hand slapping Cynthia's and Eileen's backyard fatty's... 8-) 8-) .... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x3GtjOnrGg


^ Haha !! Funny stuff !
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Pieramid_Head

Member

User avatar

The Pie to Rule All the Pyramids

Posts: 82

Joined: Feb 21, 2015

Location: Sweden

Where is the love?

Post by Pieramid_Head on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:38 am

Hey SilentHill4Life! Glad to see you're still posting here!

First off, I LOVE Silent Hill 4. I find it to be, while not the most depressing of saddest of the Silent Hills (I'd say that probably goes to 2) it's by FAR the scariest and most disturbing. AND the most visually unnerving. I think Walter is the most interesting and deepest antagonist in the series.

I don't really have a problem with Henry / Eileen / Everybody else but Walter being underdeveloped, just because, to me, the entire game was just supposed to tell Walter's story. I think Henry was so bland and underdeveloped because you're supposed to be able to put yourself in his shoes, and because you learn jack-shit about him, it's very easy to imagine that he's, you.

As far as complaints go, basically the same as everyone else's. The wheelchairs are stupid, and burping nurses are more funny than scary, and Eileen is a burden that kind of kills the atmosphere (that is, if she doesn't get possessed. If she gets possessed, she can actually be kinda freaky).

In short, I think the game would've been more aptly titled Silent Hill 4: Walter Chronicles, because it always felt to me like Walter was the game's REAL main character, not Henry. The game suffers from some kind of silly monster design (wheelchairs, and burping nurses mainly) and the entire half of the game being one big escort quest is kind of lame. Never the less, I LOVE Sh4, namely it's disturbing atmosphere and dark imagery, and Walter is just an amazing character that's almost hard not to sympathize with.
There was a PIE here.
It's PYRAMID now.
 
 
 
 
 

clips7

Member

User avatar

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Posts: 2280

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United States

Where is the love?

Post by clips7 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:11 pm

I think I was one of the few that have always loved this game. There was a lot of hate for this game when it first dropped, but I have always loved how different this game was from the other games in the franchise, yet it still felt like a SH game. The overall design, story, characters felt completely foreign, but felt similar at the same time.

We've been over why they went with the burping sounds for the patients (I see why they did it) but still they should have went with a better sound effect. The whole concept and Walter's story was riveting and it says something in how the story was crafted that made some folks sympathize with Walter on a certain level.....he was a murdering maniac, but somewhere deep inside seemed like there was a scared little child deep in the core of his being.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...
 
 
 
 
 

Alistair

Member

User avatar

Swooping Is Bad!

Posts: 680

Joined: Mar 07, 2014

Location: United States

Where is the love?

Post by Alistair on Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Aside from the movie, this is probably the game that really lured me into becoming a fan of the series. I'll never forget my first experience with the demo. I believe prior to this, Haunting Ground and Resident Evil Zero were the only horror games I had played. I was more of a fan of RPGs at the time. It was completely different from anything elsebIbhad played, and it scared the heck out of me. I'm still loving this game nearly a decade later. :D
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Tenebra

Member

User avatar

... I meant everything.

Posts: 246

Joined: Mar 15, 2015

Where is the love?

Post by Tenebra on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Pieramid_Head wrote: it's by FAR the scariest and most disturbing.


Really? It always seemed to me pretty weak in that respect. I honestly do not remember any passage that was really scary. (I'm not saying with this that I didn't like it, it was good) but if I had to think which one is the most disturbing, scariest, I would think automatically in several moments of Sh2 and Sh3, but not really 4. Of course it is personal appreciation, but It surprised me that many consider Sh4 as the strongest in this regard.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

The_Sinful

Member

User avatar

Posts: 103

Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Location: United States

Where is the love?

Post by The_Sinful on Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Well, for me, it definitely had to do with a universal back up. Like wtf, it totally is disgusting to play on pc. The controls are atrocious, and the screen is so off. When you play the game on Xbox 360, bits and pieces of the character's framewire stick out and skew the motions. So basically, it looks like black spaghetti coming out of them. This is why I pray that maybe steam will pick this title up and salvage it any way they possibly can so they can fix some technical issues and provide some real support that konami is failing to do.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6295

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Where is the love?

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:36 pm

One thing I can admit. This game always freaked me out. I think it was because I had never seen anything like it before.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Posts: 6686

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

Where is the love?

Post by nur_ein_tier on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:47 pm

clips7 wrote:I think I was one of the few that have always loved this game. There was a lot of hate for this game when it first dropped, but I have always loved how different this game was from the other games in the franchise, yet it still felt like a SH game. The overall design, story, characters felt completely foreign, but felt similar at the same time.

We've been over why they went with the burping sounds for the patients (I see why they did it) but still they should have went with a better sound effect. The whole concept and Walter's story was riveting and it says something in how the story was crafted that made some folks sympathize with Walter on a certain level.....he was a murdering maniac, but somewhere deep inside seemed like there was a scared little child deep in the core of his being.

Agreed with all of this. It shocked me when I first bought it, but then I decided it was great. Especially the first playthrough, I thought the apartment was scary. You never knew what was gonna be there when you came back, and I loved how at first it heals you and then it stops and becomes evil and hurts you. It makes you feel like there is nowhere to hide.

The_Sinful wrote:Well, for me, it definitely had to do with a universal back up. Like wtf, it totally is disgusting to play on pc. The controls are atrocious, and the screen is so off. When you play the game on Xbox 360, bits and pieces of the character's framewire stick out and skew the motions. So basically, it looks like black spaghetti coming out of them. This is why I pray that maybe steam will pick this title up and salvage it any way they possibly can so they can fix some technical issues and provide some real support that konami is failing to do.

I also agree with all of this. And I think pretty much is the reason why I haven't played in a long time. I went for years without getting a replacement PS2, I don't have an Xbox, so PC was my only option, and the controls SUCKED. Now I finally bought another PS2 and can play it on a console again, which is great.
ImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

devil hunter

Member

User avatar

Ghost

Posts: 6603

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Where is the love?

Post by devil hunter on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:16 pm

I guess I'm the only one who didn't mind the PC controls? From what I remember you can change the controls, can't you?
 
 
 
 
 
 

The_Sinful

Member

User avatar

Posts: 103

Joined: Aug 03, 2012

Location: United States

Where is the love?

Post by The_Sinful on Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:46 pm

devil hunter wrote:I guess I'm the only one who didn't mind the PC controls? From what I remember you can change the controls, can't you?

Yeah you can....it's the resolution you (can't) change and have to find some other means to adjust it to your PCs rez.
It simply isn't fair, I'm I want to go barking at konami but I've done that FOUR times. They're very slow at responding to complaints and (or) suggestions. Also SH2 is pretty bad too. I don't know what they'll do. The only fix is to redo EVERYTHING like they did with SH3. I'm glad I can come here to vent about it. Like in ign most gamers are not huge fans of sh and have ZERO IDEA of what this game truly means to me. I'm at my wit's end
 
 
 
 
 
 

Spiritis

Posts: 10

Joined: Sep 04, 2015

Where is the love?

Post by Spiritis on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Nachtwaechter wrote:First of all, I have to say that I enjoyed SH4: The Room, but it is not one of my favorites. I don't hate this game at all, what I'm about to say is just me being my usual over-critical self. I love complaining way too much. :lol:

- The wheelchairs were pretty dumb. Yes, having a single deserted wheelchair slightly move on its own can create a very creepy and lonely atmosphere, but half a dozen of them aimlessly moving around in an empty hospital corridor attempting to run over your protagonist is pretty goofy. I have to admit that this is pretty cool, though:
REVEAL SPOILER
Image


- Ghosts are overdone enemies. There's nothing that makes you feel quite as helpless as having to face invincible enemies that chase you relentlessly, but from a horror franchise that is known for its genius monster designs, I expected a little more than the same long-haired female ghost I've seen in every horror movie ever. Personally I find monsters like the Twin Victims to be way more disturbing, even if they can be disposed of with regular weapons. I did like Richard's ghost, though.

- The fact that you had to backtrack and revisit every level was a bit disappointing, at least for me. I would have preferred exploring some more.

- Escort missions are meh. Having to babysit another character often makes games unnecessarily frustrating, and in horror games I prefer to be alone because it adds to the oppressive and lonely atmosphere, especially in rather surreal games like Silent Hill. Eileen beating the shit out of some monsters with her handbag never fails to amuse me, though.

All in all, I think this game was not quite as well-received as the others because it was so different. When a game series has been around for quite a while - especially if it is as beloved as Silent Hill - people tend to approach each new game with certain expectations. The story is set in Ashfield, not Silent Hill. You have neither a flashlight nor a portable radio. The main focus is on the main villain with your protagonist being more of an observer/innocent bystander, while Harry, Heather and James all had important parts in their stories. Ghosts rather than monsters take the spotlight etc.

SH4 is the second album of your new favorite artist who dared stepping out of his comfort zone for a change and is now considered to be a sellout by some of his fans because he didn't do what people expected him to.



I have to agree with most of this, while these features did not bug me, these are good reasons why it bugged most.

HOWEVER, it is undeniable that it gets this much hate today for two reasons: It's the cool thing to do, and it wasn't represented within silent hill. I hear countless "Doesn't feel like a SH game" from the same people who claim PT would've "saved" the series, even though PT was obviously influenced heavily by the room(i'll have to make a thread about this), those are either by people who only follow lets plays of the series, or are new to the series, however, the room had everything a SH game had except it was influenced by japanese horror, rather than western, and it wasn't staged within the town itself, which again, didn't bother me.

Silent Hill 4 remains to be my favorite out of the entire series because it tackles the serial killer aspect, while mixing it with the cult aspect, and throws in a lot of the supernatural, unlike any other SH game. Those three aspects are my favorite when it comes to horror, and they combined all three.

So, to break down what this guy said:


-Yes, I agree the wheelchairs, AND nurses were a bit goofy for the series.

-No, I don't think the ghosts ruined anything, like I said, this certain installment followed japanese horror, it had original ghost designs while also having ghost designs influenced by japanese horror stories. At the time this game was done, the genre was not littered with ghosts, it was actually littered with either zombies, monsters, or actual people, but I can only think of 4 ips at that time that used ghosts as enemies which were fear, the suffering, fatal frame, and siren(I think?), though the main antagonist, as well as some enemies like the twin victims, were not ghosts, persay.

There may have been a couple more, but like I said, yes, it had been done before, but these were also either traditional designs from japanese ghost stories, or original ghost designs, even if they weren't monsters, they were still original. The hauntings aspect was also rarely done back then by video game developers, other than the titles I mentioned, but they weren't the same concept. Fatal frame is the only other game at that time that I can think of, with the concept that you're trapped in one area, and there are hauntings, not just enemies, but encounters. Silent Hill was also better at implementing them, as certain hauntings happened if you did certain things throughout the game.

-Yes and no, the repetitiveness was unwelcome, but the way they did it was good, since they used it to reintroduce characters/victims as new enemies, and it added to the story, but I did hate the repetitiveness.

-This is an iffy for me, Silent Hill 2 had plenty of escort with maria, and plenty of times where you were just alone. Where as with eileen, basically the whole second half was an escort mission, so I get your point, it's a reason to dislike it as a SH game, since the series is not known for that, but I did enjoy that it had one of the first escort missions i've seen where the person you're escorting kept getting possessed and more fked up looking depending on how well you took care of her!


------

Alright, basically, I agree with most of what you said. Just to get my own view across though, the game itself had two things different from the rest, the traditional japanese feel, and the fact it wasn't in the town itself, which I can understand. However, the lore, the entire story, still revolves around Silent Hill and its past, and you could say, it was a genius way to end team silents run for the series. It had enough lore and characters to be called a silent hill game, the feel of playing the actual game, still felt very much like a SH game, which you don't get with Resident evil, fatal frame, or even siren.

If they would have stuck with the name "the room", people nowadays would have been saying "Wow, they ripped of silent hill to try and sell it off as a new IP".

I do agree on the flashlight and radio aspect, but like you said, it's not set in silent hill, so it wouldnt have given henry the same circumstances as the other games did. I also agree with the role of the protagonist, however, like i've said about james, walter seems to be both the protagonist AND antagonist of the game, same as James.

I also disagree on the sellout part, it seemed to be like the band overkill, they stepped out of their realm to try something new, to try and take on an aspect already used by some other horror games, and they did it even better than those horror games, yet some hardcore fans fail to accept it because it's change, but many others think it's their best album to DATE.

Either way, it has a love hate relationship.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Royal Fizzbin

User avatar

living that lie

Posts: 35

Joined: Oct 21, 2015

Where is the love?

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:41 pm

Just stopping in to drop off some love for SH4. First game in the series I played, and it remains a personal favorite. I think my appreciation for the sheer and grinding bizarre factor of this installment has only grown over the years.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Alice.Lawlor

User avatar

Posts: 27

Joined: Feb 14, 2015

Where is the love?

Post by Alice.Lawlor on Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:03 pm

Another fact which just occured to me is that SH4 seems to be less 'supernatural'. You don't have to deal that much with fears like if there's something in the dark/fog or stuff like the shifting from fog world to the otherworld. I mean these are veeeeery scary aspects which got me in the other games, but I could also relate to the more 'common' fears in SH4.
To point out what I mean I will try to give you an example: When I played SH3 or SH2 or in general any other Silent Hill game the beginning was the worst part for me. After playing a while I got used to the fact that there could be monsters somewhere, who want to harm me/the character. Only special set ups like the haunted mansion in SH3 could get me back into that mood from the beginning. In Silent Hill 4 I had the feeling that, the further I got into the story the worse it got for me/Henry. Someone mentioned the 'claustrophobic feeling' this game carries. Well yes! It's exactly how it feels! Everything is so narrow, even the only place you feel a little bit of savety in. And in the second part of the game you have to encounter all these places again. Whenever I get out of a world I'm like 'finally!!!'. And I thought that this feeling would change after my first playthrough, but no change at all.
There is no fog, but still you have this paranoia and this fear of the place itself. The monsters don't scare me. It's places like te building world, who scare me. I mean some of those streets could look very similar to real places. Those grey walls which are so high, that you can't say where they end in the darkness. The forest has a lot of place to walk around and still you feel that there could be something behind the trees or maybe behind the fences. The apartment world where you find out things about your neighbours, which you never wanted to find out.
And if that wasn't enough the ghosts kind of rush you through this places, it's like a nightmare!
I don't know if it's just me, because I'm a very awkward person and actually slighlty claustrophobic(not really acute but still...), but I'm more scared of these places, because they remind so much of scary moments and places in the real world.
What I want to point out is, that this is an intelligent way to trigger fears in the player, but if you are not afraid of such feelings, than I can totally understand that the places do not really impact other people and are therefore not as enjoyable as places in other games of the franchise. Maybe the feelings the developers tried to carry through the places where just TOO casual?
 
 
 
 
 
 

Oohfakanorus

Member

User avatar

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Posts: 2201

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United Kingdom

Where is the love?

Post by Oohfakanorus on Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:33 pm

Alice, this game was always the one that caused me to dread putting the disc in. I wasn't dreading it due to it's style, more the uncomfortable tasks you had to complete and the general atmosphere of the game.
No results found for oohfakanorus.
 
 
 
 
 

PyroYoshi

Member

Posts: 498

Joined: Dec 02, 2012

Location: United States

Where is the love?

Post by PyroYoshi on Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:03 pm

This is without a doubt my least favorite Silent Hill game. While I don't dislike it, I don't like it all that much either. It's just kind of...meh.

The gameplay and game mechanics are a big factor. The inventory was bad (it would have been better if the health items and ammo stacked like in literally every other horror game ever), and I didn't like how you visit nearly every other world again. What's the point? There were barely any changes in the worlds between the first and second visits. Also, there were a lot of gameplay moments that felt really tedious to me, like obtaining the wish house key and aligning the cells in the water prison.

Others will likely disagree with me here, but I feel that the creepy and oppressive atmosphere in the subway and forest levels was really lacking. I never felt apprehensive or threatened. The other levels are definitely better, but I never felt on edge about proceeding.

Speaking of lacking, the monster designs are so subpar compared to the other games. Only Shattered Memories and Downpour have worse monsters than 4. The patients, monkeys, wall men, wheelchairs and most of the ghosts were bad. People seem to find Cynthia's ghost the scariest, but she's just that same longhaired, undead Japanese ghost girl we've all seen a million times before. Also, there were too many nuisance enemies. The hummingbirds, fungi and slugs should have been removed and replaced with something that is actually poses a threat. (I do love squashing the slugs though.)

Another thing that irks me about the game is the lack of puzzles. Does the central room in the water prison count as a puzzle? To me, the game feels really straight forward. I never picked up an item and thought, "What in the world is this used for?" Instead, I thought, "I know exactly what this will be used for."

There are other things I dislike about the game, such as the lack of the otherworld and Henry's dull personality, but I've ranted enough.


As for things I DO like about the game, there are some.

1. The building, apartment and hospital levels.
2. The spiral staircase area with all the odd things to see. This is easily the most awesome part of the game.
3. Walter and Eileen.
4. Some of the monsters. Specifically, the twin victims, the dogs and Richard's ghost.
5. The hauntings that invade room 302.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Wilsden Hills

Member

User avatar

Ooh, a sheepie

Posts: 782

Joined: Nov 22, 2013

Location: United Kingdom

Where is the love?

Post by Wilsden Hills on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:06 am

Looks like I might be the only one who thinks the dog sounds are great, insofar as they succeed in seriously freaking me out. They're just so otherworldly, although I know they're cheetah sounds I never think 'ooh a cheetah', usually it's 'oh f...!'.

The oppressive atmosphere is what does it for me. By the time I'm back in Apartment World every step forward is an effort, the fear of attack, the pulsating red walls, the knowledge that you're at the sharp end of the story and it's not necessarily gonna end okay, and of course your own apartment in a state of complete and malicious distress. Puts me in a right state. Any game that provokes such emotions is doing something right. All the first 4 (and a couple since) do it superbly in their own ways :)

Oh and the Robbie hot-air balloon. I love the game for that too :robbiehead:
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6295

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Where is the love?

Post by Otherworld on Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:16 pm

Wilsden Hills wrote:Looks like I might be the only one who thinks the dog sounds are great, insofar as they succeed in seriously freaking me out. They're just so otherworldly, although I know they're cheetah sounds I never think 'ooh a cheetah', usually it's 'oh f...!'.

The oppressive atmosphere is what does it for me. By the time I'm back in Apartment World every step forward is an effort, the fear of attack, the pulsating red walls, the knowledge that you're at the sharp end of the story and it's not necessarily gonna end okay, and of course your own apartment in a state of complete and malicious distress. Puts me in a right state. Any game that provokes such emotions is doing something right. All the first 4 (and a couple since) do it superbly in their own ways :)

Oh and the Robbie hot-air balloon. I love the game for that too :robbiehead:


The oppressive atmosphere is the strength of the game IMO. I will always remember the video that plays if you let the game sit in the loading screen to long ( I do this with every game I own ...) And the first couple of cut scenes are really unnerving.



Image
 
 
 
 
 

clips7

Member

User avatar

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Posts: 2280

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United States

Where is the love?

Post by clips7 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:22 pm

^^^definitely agree with this...especially the 2nd video....the air feels and looks oppressive and heavy in that entire clip...I was one of the few folks that liked SH4 from the jump because it was so different from the other titles...yet still had that SH "feel"...haha... 8-)
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...
 
 
 
 
 

firecrest

Member

Posts: 214

Joined: Sep 27, 2007

Where is the love?

Post by firecrest on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:12 am

One of the things that Silent Hill 4 allowed you to do was to take the understanding of the plot at your own pace. More information was available in the form of Red Diary entries if you wanted to know more, but this act of decoupling the story from the gameplay allowed people with different preferences to enjoy the game. Additional supplementary material was shared through its e-mail system and sh2004.com at the time, but unfortunately exclusive to the Japanese market.

I am someone who's easily amazed, but what blew me away is that Team Silent finally implemented a real stomp, one that really felt like you were going in for the kill.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Tabris

Member

User avatar

Posts: 322

Joined: Aug 05, 2013

Location: Canada

Where is the love?

Post by Tabris on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:29 am

I remember when this game was first coming out. I watched the 9 minute trailer so many times and I obsessively showed it everybody that would watch it. That trailer was (and still is) one of the most awesome hype trailers ever.

Unfortunately, the trailer made it seem a lot better than it actually was. Which sucks because the game could have been clearly WAY better than it was.

However, I still loved the hell out of the game. From the apartment, to your attempts at interacting with other characters, the apartments, all the notes, learning about Eileen, Henry's changing thoughts to the things around him, the worlds, the list could really go on. The story was also original and messed up as hell (especially if you get the worst ending).

It did have its flaws though. The inventory system was lame, the second time through worlds should have been more different (the 2nd time apartment was amazing though), the combat as always, sucked. But I don't find the flaws strong enough to really bring down the game.

Although this isn't one of my favorite Silent Hills, it's definitely one of my favorites to play. The OST for it was also one of the strongest in the series.
 
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to Silent Hill 4: The Room



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest