Silenthill4life

Where is the love?

Post by Silenthill4life on Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:55 am

Salah Talih wrote: Looking at your picture, I can tell that your favorite game is SH4,

Yeah it is my favourite SH game and Henry's my favourite character. Henry is awesome!

But I try my best to be impartial :P

Alice.Lawlor

Where is the love?

Post by Alice.Lawlor on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:53 pm

I think people already pointed out what I am thinking about SH4, just in better word.

What is also remarkable is the fact, that this game was released in 2004... I mean I've been 11 years old back then...
games like sims 2 were released in this year. People tend to compare games like Silent Hill 4 with newer titles (for example Dead Space or even Evil Within) and this shows us, how good the older Silent Hill games really are.
People actually play those games even 10+ years after! That's a good ratio for a game, if you ask me.

Silenthill4life

Where is the love?

Post by Silenthill4life on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:20 am

Alice.Lawlor wrote:I think people already pointed out what I am thinking about SH4, just in better word.

What is also remarkable is the fact, that this game was released in 2004... I mean I've been 11 years old back then...
games like sims 2 were released in this year. People tend to compare games like Silent Hill 4 with newer titles (for example Dead Space or even Evil Within) and this shows us, how good the older Silent Hill games really are.
People actually play those games even 10+ years after! That's a good ratio for a game, if you ask me.

Great post
I agree completely. SH games are timeless

Tenebra

... I meant everything.

Where is the love?

Post by Tenebra on Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:03 pm

The main problem with SH4, or rather the main reason why Sh4 is not of my favorites, is for a very obvious reason but it is not always named: You never are in Silent Hill, You never visits the town.

One of the main elements from Silent Hill was always the town in itself, which constitutes not only a random locacion but a character in itself. Why remove the town then? All other aspects as enemies, revisit levels, etc, are for me, secondary.

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Where is the love?

Post by Ren of Heavens on Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:59 pm

Pray for me, I absolutely love Silent Hill 4! Its by far my favourite in the series and if that CD ever evolves and becomes sentient I'll make it a daily ritual to impregnate the hell out of it. :D

Its like Silent Hill meets Nightmare on Elm Street. The villain has one of the best backstories in the entire series and is thoroughly interesting (I'd dare to say even more so than Pyramid Head). The monster designs took on a whole new level of disturbing (Twin Victims, anyone?). The first person apartment levels were incredibly tense. It has one of the best OSTs (Two Evils, Room of Angel, Into the Depths of Self-Discovery). Very little jump-scares, just raw brilliant atmosphere set within a reality distorted by a serial killers mind.

The more popular consensus is that the game sucks because it had a different title very early on in development (which is just stupid by the way) or that you spend your time in Ashfield instead of Silent Hill. Personally I thought that made the town of Silent Hill all the more threatening, in that it is a metaphysical entity that can seep into other towns and draw select people into its madness - its not just some random hotspot on a map that you can just crash right into if your dumb enough to not avoid. Also don't forget that fans complained about Silent Hill 3 at the time for merely repeating the same tired formula of entering a town to look for somebody with little experimentation; Silent Hill 4 in turn tried to be experimental to remedy those complaints only to be met with criticism for being experimental - try to process that and strive to remain standing. :?

PMS_Akali

Where is the love?

Post by PMS_Akali on Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:34 pm

Out of the old games, it's definitely my least favorite. I didn't like how you never visit the actual town of Silent Hill. The environments were not as well done as the other games to me. I mean I didn't like the areas as much, especially the forest. And some of the noises that would just loop over and over were some of the most annoying things I've ever dealt with.

The monster design took a noticeable dive in creativity and quality after Masahiro Ito left. They became very lackluster and almost generic. The ghosts being a huge turnoff for me. The limited inventory was so awful. I had to keep going back and forth just put my bullets in my apartment.

I was never a fan of the story that much. At least not compared to the other games. The story was a little too out there even for Silent Hill. That said, the story wasn't super terrible or anything. Never really liked Henry. Couldn't tell if he was human or a robot. I actually thought he was gonna turn out to be a monster when I first played the game. I'm not joking. He never reacts to anything around him. He's like a walking zombie. The voice acting doesn't help either.

The game did a lot of things I liked, though. Being trapped in your apartment was a really awesome idea. I loved that. The soundtrack was great. The visuals were decent for the time. Still had some decent puzzles. The memos and back story was nice.

I'm not a huge fan of the game overall. Team Silent wanted to try something new and I liked some of the ideas, but disliked more than I liked. It's my forth favorite entry and I think it was the last good Silent Hill game to be made.

Lain

Where is the love?

Post by Lain on Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:07 am

A decade ago, I used to struggle with whether SH2 or SH4 was my favorite... these days, I just accept that there's no way I could possibly pick, so I call it a tie... with SH3 not too far behind.

For everything SH4 does poorly, it does something great that makes it easy to overlook its faults.

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Where is the love?

Post by Ren of Heavens on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:54 pm

It does have its faults which I can accept. I can also see why people might dislike the deviation from the series because I absolutely hate Majora's Mask as the experimental entry in the Zelda series. However I will say that the sheer magnitude of seething hatred for SH4 is a little exaggerated because as a side-story it really didn't hurt the franchise as most would want to believe. I've also found that while some people will have their perfectly respectable constructive reasons for why they dislike the game, other fans simply will just hate it for ridiculously superficial reasons such as 'it had a different name in development' which is just a pitiful reason to dislike it.

Its pretty much the same reason why I'm concerned with this new SH game coming out. Everyone seems to be caught up on Kojima this and Kojima that. As great as 204863 gloating announcements are, I do expect we get a Silent Hill game at the end of the day and not 'Nightmare on Kojima Street.'

Lilith

Mind of Destructive Taste

Where is the love?

Post by Lilith on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:35 pm

It's not a side story.
I cease to exist on the Christmas list

Ren of Heavens

Sega fanatic

Where is the love?

Post by Ren of Heavens on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:10 pm

Whoops!
*It’s a sequel (the 4 gives it away) which feels a lot like a gaiden story.

Lilith

Where is the love?

Post by Lilith on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:44 am

How is that so? The story dismantles the entirety of the cult in Silent Hill after Heather blew a big hole in it. Just because it feels like a side story doesn't make it so.

Venithil

Where is the love?

Post by Venithil on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:34 am

To make up for lost time and to try and complete more parts, I decided to re-try and finish Silent Hill 4 (I originally only completed a couple of "worlds"). After installing the game I remembered what was my problem : Compared to part 2 and 3, the fighting is actually a lot more stale, awkward, twitchy and problematic to pull off so far. I hope that'll pass as I try to get more into it, but I feel awkward getting slaughtered by dog-duos at the train station... After finding the bosses of 2 and 3 at the same difficulty little trouble.

Lilith

Where is the love?

Post by Lilith on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:08 pm

You can make yourself invincible for a moment when you fight them. You can take down enemies in a few hits.

TomRL

Where is the love?

Post by TomRL on Mon May 04, 2015 8:49 am

Throughout my experience with the game I was slightly disappointed. The hook here that kept you in wasn't the atmosphere. The atmosphere wasn't very strong. What hooked you in was the premise more than anything, and the premise alone can't entertain you for that long. The writing was awful, the music could have been better and characterization is none-existent. I have many many problems with this game. But after completing it I still think this game is incredibly valuable. It takes symbology and metaphor to a whole new level for the Silent Hill series and video games in general. This game is incredibly bold. I doubt a game like this could be made today and I don't think I've played a game that's this meta and symbolic.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Where is the love?

Post by Otherworld on Tue May 19, 2015 8:54 am

I found the love ..... lol.

Rather I found the Brady game guide I have for Silent Hill 4 when moving some furniture. Thing looks brand new too ...

jam6i

Where is the love?

Post by jam6i on Tue May 19, 2015 12:13 pm

My love for SH4

Admittedly, at first I did not like SH4.

-First person view
-No radio
-No flashlight
-Bright and well-lit environments
-Enemies you can't kill
-You never actually go to town (the closest you get are some woods).

But over time I think people (including myself) saw there was something special there. It's a very strange story, and the structure of the game is one-of-a-kind. It was such a bold departure from what Team Silent established it was overshadowed by those comparisons to SH1-3. This was a time in which "no radio" alone was literally a no-no for the series. "What is this shit? Where is the radio? This isn't Silent Hill this is a travesty."

Andthe story. Wow.

REVEAL SPOILER
Twenty-something brainwashed cult member engages in a killing spree, commits suicide, becomes a ghost and continues the killing spree to satisfy requirements for a ritual that is meant to reunite him with his mom,which he believes is an apartment room, and is thwarted by another pair of twenty-somethings who are trapped in his reality of ghosts of his victims, which can only be reached by crawling through large holes in walls.

Like...WAT.

I think it took people awhile to see how unique and creative this story was. It wasn't a "blank goes to silent hill and looks for something or someone". It's a brilliant little horror story.

It was the first time the series established you don't need to go to Silent Hill for your game to be a Silent Hill game. It set a precedent for things like P.T. That's a first person adventure in a tiny hallway. And it's a Silent Hill game! Thank you, Silent Hill 4!
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Where is the love?

Post by clips7 on Wed May 20, 2015 1:39 am

SH4 was a game that i always loved....Henry's apt always looked drab and dreary and seemed like the air was very oppressive and heavy...as if something just wasn't right. Always loved the concept of being locked up in your apt while the world outside was functioning as normal. I loved how when Cynthia died in the otherworld, you see the aftermath outside of your window near the subway entrance with the ambulance parked nearby. 8-)

Oh and i don't see a need for spoiler tags since this game is pretty old....
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

jam6i

Where is the love?

Post by jam6i on Wed May 20, 2015 9:28 am

Covering my own ass in case someone wants to chew me out for not putting that behind a magical click wall.

The idea of a hub world (Room 302) slowly changing over time is a brilliant idea. Like, for most games a hub world doesn't change, and you just keep unlocking more areas. But here, you've got a one bedroom apartment that slowly changes over time. And even the tiny details like the fact the "outside" street view's daylight progresses in what would be normal time (starting from morning and ending at night) is just cool.

And I like how this hub world works in the exact opposite way as hub worlds act. Pretty much every other hub world is open and freeing. It's a place to go to relax, and it's big.

But Room 302 is claustrophobic. It's oppressive. And eventually it even starts hurting you. That's not the purpose if a hub world. There isn't a single moment (besides maybe the large areas of the forest world) where you aren't confined to a small corridor or area. The majority of the game is just really claustrophobic.

I'm telling ya, this game's design is brilliant. And I didn't see it at first because I was too focused at the time on things like "there's no flashlight" or "it's too bright". My conception at the time about what a SH game is supposed to be made me unjustly judge this game.

Probably a hurdle that some people come to when talking about P.T. It is so against the norm it's hard to call it a SH game. But it sure as hell is.

It also paved the way for my open mind for the structure of Shattered Memories. So thanks again SH4.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Where is the love?

Post by Otherworld on Wed May 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Where is the love ....... hmmmmm .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seemed like there was more than love on the minds of the team when creating Silent Hill 4 .... 8-)

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Where is the love?

Post by clips7 on Thu May 21, 2015 2:14 am

^^^Just listen to the sounds effects in this commercial...that is my hand slapping Cynthia's and Eileen's backyard fatty's... 8-) 8-) .... :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x3GtjOnrGg
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill 4: The Room