Leonard Wolf

Just another resident of Silent Hill

How to make sure Eileen will survive?

Post by Leonard Wolf on Thu May 22, 2014 2:11 am

I created this topic to ask you guys something about how to save Eileen in the end of the game...
Well... the first time I finished the game I got 21 sacraments ending, as it was my first time...
But, I TRIED to get at least the Mother ending, because Eileen's been hurt very much during the game and I knew it would make her walk quickly to the Death Machine, ensuring her death.
But I read that to heal her wounds, only what I had to do was put a candle next to her and she would be fine again, and that's what I did, and she really turned back to normal, after that, knowing I had already done what was necessary for her to survive, I took the umbilical cord and proceeded to play the game normally till the end.
But when I came to the place of the final battle... She was all hurt again and walked quickly to the machine and died!o.o
How did it happen? I had already healed her with the candle!
In my next game, I protected her that time, and as she got almost no hits I could save her in time from the death machine.
An in another game in which she had been badly injured again, I put a candle next to her again, but this time, instead of proceed with the game, I waited until the candle burns down.
After it burned down, she was completely healed, but after two minutes (that I waited standing in the same place, next to her) her wounds returned and her back was all black again!o.o
How is that possible? The candles have no use on her, then? And the only way to make sure Eileen will survive in the final battle is protecting her during the game?
But I don't understand, why I read that a candle can heal her permanently if the effect is only temporary and won't save her from dying in the final battle? And why the candles have this purpose too (besides keeping the ghosts away too, of course) if it doesn't help the player at all in healing Eileen?

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu May 22, 2014 2:57 am

I don't really understand how that healing thing with candles works, myself. I just don't give her any weapons so she doesn't get hit so much.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu May 22, 2014 10:32 am

Don't give her any weapons and the monsters will almost literally ignore her.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Post by Princess Kenny on Thu May 22, 2014 10:48 am

The candles do work.I know the do. Just don't be wasteful with them. Only go through the holes when it is necessary and make sure Eileen is in eyesight.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu May 22, 2014 12:22 pm

The candles should almost never be used on her though because they're so scarce and her avoiding damage is doable but ridding the ghosts without those candles and medallions is not.
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Post by Princess Kenny on Thu May 22, 2014 2:15 pm

With the haunting I just the medallions. When I see a ghost I run like hell. I don't run out of candles that much. Maybe I am just that damn good.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Post by Alistair on Thu May 22, 2014 5:47 pm

I've never had a problem with giving Eileen a weapon AND having her survive.
I like having her around to fight monsters with me, she can be quite handy at times! :)

PEACETALKER

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu May 22, 2014 8:37 pm

Princess Kenny wrote:With the haunting I just the medallions. When I see a ghost I run like hell. I don't run out of candles that much. Maybe I am just that damn good.

I always have a hard time finding these damn things.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Thu May 22, 2014 10:23 pm

So, Leonard, call the "traditional man" from inside of you (seja homem!) and you will get better endings, and maybe after you became skilled, you might let she punish some bad buys a little.

I had the same problem as Leonard told. Candles don't solve the problem. So I start over taking care of her and let she without any guns sometimes. But another problem came trough: I lost my patience! I loved the concept of the game, the story, the atmosphere, etc., but I don't think was born to be baby sitter. I liked the different fight mechanics and joining with her make some cool fights, but then I have to protect the lady as a gentleman and walk slow so she won't get tired... maybe next time!

Leonard Wolf

Just another resident of Silent Hill

Post by Leonard Wolf on Thu May 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Princess Kenny wrote:The candles do work.I know the do. Just don't be wasteful with them. Only go through the holes when it is necessary and make sure Eileen is in eyesight.

Are you sure?
Then why didn't they work for me?
And what I wanna know if there's a way to heal Eileen PERMANENTLY with them, because everytime I tried to use them to heal her, the effect was only temporary and almost didn't last.
And if the candles are not intended for that and it's useless to use them to heal her if her wounds will return anyway, so the only way to save her from dying in the end is protecting her against the enemies?
So, candles can be used to save her or not?
Oh, and before I forget, I just recalled to answer this tip you guys told me about leaving her unarmed so the monsters won't attack her: I remember I had already tried it some time ago, but it only worsened the things, because the monsters also attacked her anyway and for being unarmed, she didn't have anything to use to defend herself, so she got hurt even more.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Thu May 22, 2014 11:11 pm

I follow a walkthrough that said to put a candle in front of her, etc.. and I think she might be healed a few, but didn't change the end - plus I lost one candle to keep the room healed!

Also unarmed Eileen make it easy to me to protect her. When she is armed, she go against the monsters and attack them, and got hurt on counterstrikes! However, being unarmed will not protect her, she might be a second target for AI of monsters (you'll probably be attacked first), but I don't recall about she being just ignored because is unarmed.

Lucifer

King of the Snakes

Post by Lucifer on Sat May 24, 2014 6:00 pm

When I first beat the game, I hardly used any of the candles throughout the game. Therefore, I gave all the candles to heal her. Needless to say it helps, but it doesn't help much at all. It is much better to just keep her around you. Never leave her alone in another room by herself and do not give her a gun.

Gabe Mason

Welp

Post by Gabe Mason on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:50 pm

I read a long time ago that the candles do work on Eileen, but there's a trick. Whenever you are going to use a candle make sure you are in a safe place and near a door, put the candle in front of Eileen, wait until her wounds are healed completely and exit through the door. DON'T stand there long enough to watch the candle burnt out, just walk through the door and it should work. The first time I played the game I got the Escape ending with Eileen helping me during the battles (except fighting against the ghosts) When you get back to the apartment world make sure to leave Eileen in the hallway outside room 302, you will travel faster around the world and Eileen won't get any damage. and make sure to get at least one candle to use it on her before the battle with Walter; put the candle in front of her, wait until she heals completely and then examine the umbilical cord without letting the candle burnt out. I did that all the time and she never died in Easy or Normal difficulty (Except in hard, I couldn't kill Walter fast enough)

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:37 pm

The candles work on her, yes. I thought everyone knew this o.O

The best way to keep her alive is to make sure she does not have a weapon equipped. If you take her weapons away, she will not try to fight the monsters, and, thus, will take MUCH LESS damage.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:49 pm

This is the method I use, and it works 100% of the time. I don't know what else to say except that, for me, it's foolproof:

-Don't worry about her taking damage, but always leave her in safe locations while you are off doing your thing:
Subway: leave her in one of the bathrooms (the ditching is tricky, but it's not that hard)
Forest: Leave her in the wish house arena (it's pretty large and easy to ditch her)
Water Prison: leave her in one of the circular hallways after clearing it
Building: leave her in the area where you met RIchard (her being in proximity to a pinned Richard never seemed to matter)
Apartment: leave her in the lobby area

-Collect at least two candles. I always save two candles.

-After completing all the tasks in the Apartment 2 level, but before going to Frank's, have Eileen stand in the middle of the lobby (I always place her in the center of the room) and light a candle at her feet. Stand there and wait for the entire candle to disappear, and then light the second candle and do it again.

Then, just go get the umbilical cord and defeat Walter.

This method always works for me, regardless of how much damage Eileen takes. Two candles, and done.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Guerilla

Post by Guerilla on Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:33 pm

One thing to keep in mind is to never let Eileen use the submachine gun if you're going for an ending where she lives because it drains her health when she uses it. It's not unlike how the Hyper Spray drains James' health when he uses it.

Another thing to remember is to use the Spade on Walter in the final battle on Hard. It's the best overall weapon. Its special attack takes less time to charge than the Rusty Axe and the attack itself is much quicker to execute than the Rusty Axe's special attack therefore saving you precious seconds if you're trying to save Eileen. The Spade's special attack also does slightly more damage than the Rusty Axe's. So if you use the Spade, try to corner Walter, and not get hit by him so much, you can easily kill him on Hard. Done it plenty of times and saved Eileen doing so.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:26 am

The good thing is she has a large amount of health. I remember one time in the 2nd run of the forest world, Walter was chasing Eileen and Henry and I accidentally left Eileen behind without a weapon! Luckily I quickly went back and retrieved her.

I found not giving her a weapon, other than her purse and losing her in a safe zone without monsters worked for me.

But I've had friends tell me they've given her a weapon and despite fighting/getting attacked they managed to get the escape ending.

The_Sinful

Post by The_Sinful on Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:20 pm

Actually, I for one have used the candles on her and it did work. You have to do it in a timely manner before facing Walty for the last time. Place a candle next to her right before the umbilical cord cut-scenes and she should be fine. Also, try not picking up and (or) giving her a weapon. This caused monsters throughout the game to become agro against her. candles should be really used for your apartment man. playing on nighmare mode proved this to me time and time again.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:29 pm

As I said, this game is kinda sexist - ok, dear Eileen, wait here and let the man do man's job… want some magazine to read?

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:05 pm

PinentidHead wrote:As I said, this game is kinda sexist - ok, dear Eileen, wait here and let the man do man's job… want some magazine to read?

I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, that's not true because Eileen can defend herself. I don't see what's sexist anyway, she's badly injured, it's better if she doesn't fight.

Next

Return to Silent Hill 4: The Room