gothlolilunatic

Shadow Doll

Why do the other games act like this one doesn't exist?

Post by gothlolilunatic on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 pm

NarooN wrote:It's unknown whether or not Eileen ever went there before. Both of them "went there" in terms of Wally World, though.

XD Calling it Wally's world and the chainsaw dance you can make Walter do sometimes are making it hard for me not to burst out laughing thinking of Silent Hill 4.

That and the burping patients. That sound effect was kinda silly.
http://inkedblue.tumblr.com/ <---- author blog
http://authonomy.com/writing-community/profile/c324c2b8-9b3e-4dd5-b7f6-6a896fb9e810/gothlolilunatic/ <----- Authonomy profile
I can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Don't forget the scariest enemy to EVER be featured in a SH game, let alone ANY survival horror game period: HAUNTED WHEELCHAIRS!!~~~

Seriously, SH4 is a nice game, but man does it have a lot of unintentionally goofy aspects lol.

Lilith

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Lilith on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:36 pm

The best thing that 4 did that was scary was that trailer. That there might have trumped 2 and 3 if the final product looked like that. :lol:
I cease to exist on the Christmas list

Maki

Post by Maki on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:45 am

Purramid_Head wrote:The best thing that 4 did that was scary was that trailer. That there might have trumped 2 and 3 if the final product looked like that. :lol:

COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS!

I still get uncomfortable when i watch the trailer.

If 4 had been all like that, it would've been without a doubt the most terrifying game in the series.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:34 am

NarooN wrote:Seriously, SH4 is a nice game, but man does it have a lot of unintentionally goofy aspects lol.

Damn right, man I can't really take Eileen's death seriously because Room of Angel plays during that scene and when you listen to the lyrics it makes it funny.

@Purr totally, the game had a good trailer, maybe too good.

ÆNEMA

Post by ÆNEMA on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:13 am

This fucking thing haunts my nightmares:
I think that's one thing that SH4 got right that none of the other games seemed to have really caught onto- the more threatening monsters didn't really have "introductions." The first time the Twin Victim is encountered, there's just two of them, fucking there in the shower room. Scared the living hell out of me the first time I played. The gum heads just show up and steal your weapons. AND THEN THIS GUY^. I thought the room was empty when I first encountered him and then he just ran up the stairs and nearly gave me a heart attack. He looks kind of goofy in the still but goddamn when it is running at you & you've never seen it before and you're pretty much at the end of the game .. that is the stuff of nightmares.
Image PRAY YOUR LIFE WAS JUST A DREAM Ω THE CUT THAT NEVER HEALS

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:37 am

I still think that Konami had the SH4 devs rush the game out in time for the release date. Had they been given an extra year or even six months, it would've been stellar.

ERROR

Post by ERROR on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:51 am

>I often forget Heather is all the way in portland especially considering the subway is modeled after NY.<
The Masons aren't in Portland.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:51 am

BULLWORTHLESS wrote:This fucking thing haunts my nightmares:
I think that's one thing that SH4 got right that none of the other games seemed to have really caught onto- the more threatening monsters didn't really have "introductions." The first time the Twin Victim is encountered, there's just two of them, fucking there in the shower room. Scared the living hell out of me the first time I played. The gum heads just show up and steal your weapons. AND THEN THIS GUY^. I thought the room was empty when I first encountered him and then he just ran up the stairs and nearly gave me a heart attack. He looks kind of goofy in the still but goddamn when it is running at you & you've never seen it before and you're pretty much at the end of the game .. that is the stuff of nightmares.

Completely agree with everything you stated...textures on these creatures was great as well....incredibly bizarre and disturbing...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:13 am

They lived in Portland for a few years after SH1 until they were attacked by an Order member, but afterwards they moved to the town that we see them living in SH3. So, no, they aren't living in Portland anymore. We're never given the name of the new town we see in the game.

ERROR

Post by ERROR on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 am

Also note: They didn't live in Portland, Oregon. If anywhere, it's Portland, Maine.
This post is the property of its author and is not to be used elsewhere without explicit permission from the author.

. . . AND THAT'S THAT.

ÆNEMA

Post by ÆNEMA on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:28 pm

Yeah, I think that's what's confusing for a lot of people. Though, you would think that if Harry wanted to get away from the cult, he'd like.. leave the state they were based in.

JaneTheNurse

Complete. Global. Masturbation.

Post by JaneTheNurse on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:30 pm

M93R wrote:And although Downpour referenced it, they did leave its characters out of the surprise ending.

If you look closely at the ending, the only past characters that are in the "Surprise!" ending are from 2 and 3, meaning the games that have been given an HD remake. They probably would have had to make characters from the other games with textures at the same resolution in order to include them in that ending, which is a lot of work for a joke ending.

That ending is, by the way, my favorite joke ending.

schlaufuchsMIKE

Smartass >:)

Post by schlaufuchsMIKE on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:40 am

BULLWORTHLESS wrote:This fucking thing haunts my nightmares:

Huh, somehow I missed the fact that this dude has an inverted torso dude down there when I played through this...
"First day off the sauce and somehow I'd still ended up in the gutter." ~ Max Payne

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 am

I like to think this thing symbolizes Walter's view on men, how they're thinking with the other head.

I'm not being serious, of course.

femmeclaudia

Gaming Mama

Post by femmeclaudia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

I remember reading somewhere that this game wasn't intended to be a Silent Hill game originally. I guess that could explain it.

It's after 4 that I stopped really considering Homecoming and the others that followed apart of the franchise anyway. :cry:
"What you call 'faith' is nothing more than a child crying out for love."

gothlolilunatic

Shadow Doll

Post by gothlolilunatic on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:50 pm

That's a little unfair. Sure, the later ones aren't to everyone's tastes, but that doesn't mean they should be exiled from the franchise. Personally, I like Shattered Memories and Downpour, and what I hear of Homecoming is actually quite good.
http://inkedblue.tumblr.com/ <---- author blog
http://authonomy.com/writing-community/profile/c324c2b8-9b3e-4dd5-b7f6-6a896fb9e810/gothlolilunatic/ <----- Authonomy profile
I can believe 6 impossible things before breakfast

femmeclaudia

Gaming Mama

Post by femmeclaudia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:56 pm

I guess it was a little harsh making that statement. I've taken a stab at all of them (haven't played downpour yet) and I respect all of them as games, but I just feel that the newer ones are missing something that the older ones had, that I felt made them Silent Hill games. That's just my opinion though, nothing against anyone else :D
"What you call 'faith' is nothing more than a child crying out for love."

ÆNEMA

Post by ÆNEMA on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:24 pm

whitexclaudia wrote:I remember reading somewhere that this game wasn't intended to be a Silent Hill game originally. I guess that could explain it.
It started as a series spin-off & became a main game early in production.

Ignition Factor

Post by Ignition Factor on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:23 pm

JaneTheNurse wrote:
M93R wrote:And although Downpour referenced it, they did leave its characters out of the surprise ending.

If you look closely at the ending, the only past characters that are in the "Surprise!" ending are from 2 and 3, meaning the games that have been given an HD remake. They probably would have had to make characters from the other games with textures at the same resolution in order to include them in that ending, which is a lot of work for a joke ending.

That ending is, by the way, my favorite joke ending.

Yeah, seems like it was done as a tie in to advertise the HD Collection. Not that I'm complaining since the ending was still funny. But you can't have a joke ending with Murphy climbing out of a hole without a Henry Townshend appearance. It doesn't feel right.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill 4: The Room