captain crowbar

Why do the other games act like this one doesn't exist?

Post by captain crowbar on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:56 pm

There's like NO references or homages to this game in any of the subsequent games. They all have tons of references to 1, 2, and even Origins...but nobody seems to love 4 :cry:

What's the deal?
---

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:58 pm

Have you forgot about 2? Besides, that one wasn't really connected to Silent Hill itself.

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:02 pm

Huh?

It was like a side-story, but it was still related to the cult's rituals and stuff. But I really just mean that no other games even have easter eggs referencing it or anything. Travis was in Homecoming, for goodness sakes. Alex even had a Travis costume he could wear.

I demand some Henry clothes. For shizzle.
---

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:05 pm

SH 2 has some stuff that mentions Walter Sullivan. I think there was a reference to The Room in Downpour trailer, something about prison cell number being 302.

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:10 pm

Well I know that SH2 said some things, but I mean in the games since 4 came out.

302, you say? Maybe Vatra will grow a pair and reference 4 in more ways than that, then. If they do, I'll respect them all the more. Climax was kind of overflowing with SH2 fanboys in some regards.
---

The Gentleman

Don't try to hurt me with the night

Post by The Gentleman on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:22 pm

captain crowbar wrote:Well I know that SH2 said some things, but I mean in the games since 4 came out.

302, you say? Maybe Vatra will grow a pair and reference 4 in more ways than that, then. If they do, I'll respect them all the more. Climax was kind of overflowing with SH2 fanboys in some regards.

Well we've already had:

Though, personally I don't find the similarities very striking.
"Amy Pond, there's something you'd better understand about me because it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a mad man with a box!"

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:59 pm

the hair is kind of similar...I don't really see anything else that would compare the two clearly other than a 5-o-clock shadow and the fact that they're both white.
---

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:29 pm

4 references aren't as easy to work into other games as you'd think. Do I wish this wasn't so? Yes, because I'm a cult fanatic.

That, and 4 was the point of the series when everything "took a turn for the worse" if you know what I mean.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:50 am

Silent Hill 4 isn't referenced much because the idea that it is a 'real' Silent Hill game didn't gain wide acceptance until Team Silent knobslobbering became a hobby and they had to like it by default.

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:49 am

I like SH4 and how it work backs to all the other games. I love the premise and the themes. Gameplay was hit or miss, so was immortal ghosts. But overall it was enjoyable. It also gave us dates for the past games.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

WisHouse

Phelps. Badge 3,14159265

Post by WisHouse on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 pm

I liked SH4, I really did, but as a standalone. The simple fact that you never get to the town itself, is what probably fails bout this game, at least for the majority of the hardcore/diehard fans of the series. But I actually had fun. Sure ghosts were annoying, but hey, it felt good to be kicking them repeatedly on the floor =) .
The villain was insanely awsome and it had many references.
We´ll see what happens.
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Pyramid_Heart

Post by Pyramid_Heart on Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:05 pm

WisHouse wrote:I liked SH4, I really did, but as a standalone. The simple fact that you never get to the town itself, is what probably fails bout this game, at least for the majority of the hardcore/diehard fans of the series. But I actually had fun. Sure ghosts were annoying, but hey, it felt good to be kicking them repeatedly on the floor =) .
The villain was insanely awsome and it had many references.
We´ll see what happens.

The other games don't act like it exists because it was the final Team Silent game, and the newer devs aren't particularly fond of it(as fans).

Plus, the events of the game take place in Walter's head. There weren't really any survivors, so no one knows it happened.

EllDawn

Post by EllDawn on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:34 pm

I kind of disagree that no one knew it happened. Especially since there are multiple endings. There were people who were suspicious that Walter had come back, but actually saying anything would have caused them to be locked up. Yes only the victims went into Walter's version of the world. There were sort of cross-overs between the two that made more of a connection and more signs that there was more going on.

As for there being no references for The Room in any of the later games, it's probably because it was more of a spin-off in the story. It focused on a different aspect of Silent Hill and showed how widespread it could be. Most seem to just want to center it in Silent Hill instead of introducing new areas.

And 2 can't really count as a reference to 4. The Room built on the story suggested about Walter in 2.

The_Sinful

Post by The_Sinful on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 am

I hate to say it but if no ones taling about it in other games do you guys suggest that the bad ending happened without the holy mother being born. You can't say that it did or else the whole world would have been in for a great surprise.

Maki

Post by Maki on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:15 am

Well crowbar, now you got the biggest easter egg SH has to offer.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:28 pm

I'm not really sure why there isn't talk of 4's story in later installments. Because in 4 there was an investigation going on with all of the murders and the case itself was pretty substantial and wide open as you could tell with police chatter over the radio. So something like this couldn't have been swept under the rug.

Any reference to the game in later installments might point back to the cult again and that is probably something dev's just want to step away from since the cult has been done to death. It doesn't bother me tho,..i guess it's just regulated as an incident that happened in South Ashfield by way of Walter Sullivan. Every story in the series doesn't have to connect to one another and i actually like it better like that. I'd prefer every entry to be personal one-shot storylines into madness.

But i do agree that it'd be cool to reference older games or other characters from past games just to show a sense of consistency or relativity.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

captain crowbar

Post by captain crowbar on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:34 pm

rollerfan222 wrote:Well crowbar, now you got the biggest easter egg SH has to offer.

true dat
---

Maki

Post by Maki on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:56 pm

Theres was going to be a Walter cameo in Homecoming but they scrapped it, the dialogue is in my Unused dialogue thread in Homecoming's sub/forum. check oit out. It's walter when he's a kid in a docto's office being asked questions, then kills the doctor.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:43 am

Downpour also referenced Homecoming and Origins :)

schlaufuchsMIKE

Smartass >:)

Post by schlaufuchsMIKE on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:50 am

devil hunter wrote:Downpour also referenced Homecoming and Origins :)

It did? When was that?
"First day off the sauce and somehow I'd still ended up in the gutter." ~ Max Payne

Next

Return to Silent Hill 4: The Room