AlchemillaHsospital

SH1 map examiner

Talk about modding SH 1 here
admin
Site Admin

SH1 map examiner

Post by admin »

https://github.com/ItEndsWithTens/SilentHillMapExaminer
A tool to help reverse engineer the level format used in the original Silent Hill. Designed ad hoc, and crudely named to reflect that, this is in its earliest stages, and should not be relied upon for much of anything.

This is currently implemented as a BizHawk external tool; also included are the beginnings of a standalone GUI app based on Eto.Forms and Eto.Veldrid, but that's a long way off, if it ever happens. For now the external tool is a useful, if scatterbrained, testbed for various ideas.

Downloads are available through the badges above, or on the releases page. Just unzip into your BizHawk/ExternalTools directory and enjoy! If instead you'd like to build it yourself, read on
https://github.com/TASEmulators/BizHawk/releases
http://redump.org/disc/137/
Attachments
sh1map.jpg
sh1map.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 11770 times
ItEndsWithTens

Re: SH1 map examiner

Post by ItEndsWithTens »

Hey, thanks for the thread! To get right to the point here's a video about SHME if you don't want to read this whole post first:

https://youtu.be/ONW6v_--Iqc

As early as 2008 I had idle dreams of reverse engineering the first Silent Hill, but had absolutely no clue where to start, and it went nowhere. A decade later I found the no$psx debugging emulator, which when combined with Cheat Engine let me explore the game's memory in tantalizing detail. I didn't make much progress before rather stressful IRL stuff pulled me away.

By the time I came back to it, the community had also taken a crack at the game and deciphered the geometry, model, and animation formats, and the wind was briefly taken out of my sails as I felt like I'd missed out. It then occurred to me that no one seemed to have gone after the actual level data, e.g. trigger locations and sizes, enemy spawners, camera tracks, that sort of thing, and I decided that would be my contribution. I did some research to find an emulator with some sort of scripting ability, and settled on BizHawk. After very abbreviated Lua experiments I realized it also offered a C#/.NET API, which is an ecosystem I'm much more comfortable with, and SHME was born proper. Combined with RE tools like IDA, or in my case Ghidra, I've still only scratched the surface of how the game works, but it's been tremendously educational and a ton of fun.

I'd meant to share the project years ago on the last incarnation of the board but never felt like it was mature enough to showcase. That's now changed, and I'm happy to reveal it to the world at large. Apologies that it's been over a month with no contribution to this thread from me, but I just kept telling myself I wanted a Youtube video about SHME ready to go before I chimed in. Now that that's out of the way, I'm here.

The tool is still a work in progress, obviously, but it works well enough to be useful, if I may be so bold. Any questions feel free to ask!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sorry for the delay in approving, have been busy offline with stuff!

thanks for the info and project though! :robbie:
ItEndsWithTens

Post by ItEndsWithTens »

No problem at all! I figured it was Real Life stuff, I was in no rush. It's just as well, since I've been too busy to work on this project in the past month or two, so no new developments to share with people.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

yeah, real life happens, unfortunately! i have another festival i'm being a vendor at this month and some stuff to get ready, then hopefully i can spend more time on sites and games and such in the fall.
:robbie: