DipDop

What a Goddamn Masterpiece

Post by DipDop on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:06 am

As mentioned before, I'm replaying through the series for the first time in years. Last time I played Silent Hill 3 was....it had to have been 2011 or very early 2012.

I just forgot how..well..amazing this game was and the series in general. The first one remains my favorite, but playing through them again (and wearing headphones for the first time) you just really can appreciate how well made this game is. From the voice acting feeling real, to the graphical achievements, the story, the setting, just everything.

Years and years ago I used to criticize Heather for not reacting to her environment like a real person, but I have since changed my mind. She was absolutely devastated at the loss of her father, and did show fear at first. But over the course of the game, in text form, she mentions that she's becoming numb to the environment and horrors. It's also a testament to her character, and I think she's by far the best written protagonist in the series. Especially during that time where a strong female lead wasn't really the norm, and even further so that she wasn't really sexualized either. Well..discounting the OST cover art anyways.

I will forever be sad we never got a re-make like the original Resident Evil did. The hospital room and the one room from Midwich are such teases, I so wish they had made one around 2003/2004. Oh well.

I thoroughly enjoyed this playthrough, and if it's been a while since you've played, you should pick it up again.

I guess this is an appreciation thread of sorts?..I just felt I had to get it out there. Anyways, onto the fourth.

Oh, one last thing that has always confused me. What do you think of the Confessions woman at the end?

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:54 am

Some people think that the confessor is Dahlia, or her spirit. I don't know if I believe that. I mean, this seems to test what Heather will do, on how important seeking revenge really is to her. The red hallway seems to represent revenge as well, at least to me it does.

Claudias' plan was to fill Heather heart with hate by killing Harry and having Heather to set out on a revenge mission and end up in Silent Hill.

Rodox_Head

itsamistery

Post by Rodox_Head on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:24 pm

The church confessional part was a good example of moral ambiguity in video game choices, as forgiving the confessor can either be seen as Heather validating her own murderous desires and showing a sense of moral superiority, or just showing sympathy towards the confessor. The game apparently sides with the former since it works towards the "possessed" ending.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:03 pm

It is good, yes. I need to play through again. I've made some camhack videos and stuff but haven't really sat down and played through just to play through in a while.
ImageImage

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:36 am

Yeah...i think i'm gonna have to bite the bullet at some point and just pick up another big block ps2 on amazon. My ps2 is making some crazy noises like it's actually scratching the disk and it seems like it's going to catapult a couple of screws fro within at about 100 mph....thing is fried.

It's the only way i will be able to fire up ps2 games. I'm not into re-downloading ps2 games from the PSN..( i love my physical copies) so i gotta go the more expensive route of buying another ps2....but yeah i gotta get back to playing the old SH joints....i think the last time i played an old SH game was back in 2005.... :shock:
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:31 am

Bought a PS2 a couple of years ago, and I still have a backwards compatible PS3 as well.
I love that thing !

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:36 am

Certainly can’t disagree with the title of this thread. Across the board SH3 had virtually no weaknesses in my book. Sure SH2 is lauded for its crushing story and shocking narrative, but the world of SH3 feels to me like a considerably more dangerous place to be in. Level designs and creatures feel more aggressive in SH3, and Heather seems like a more vulnerable main character than the prior two. The game has aged incredibly well, it still looks and sounds good, and various parts of the game still manage to give me legit anxiety (jumping on the subway tracks and hearing that damn horn gets me panicking every time).

Hope you can enjoy SH4 as well. It’s a different animal than the first 3, and I consider it probably the most underappreciated installment of the series. True, Henry isn’t a strong lead like James or Heather, and the reoccurring levels can get mildly tedious, but the game is bizarre as hell and there is gold to mine from it.

Return to Silent Hill 3