Lonesome Road

Something wrong with Heather's mouth.

Post by Lonesome Road on Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:47 pm

Everytime I look at her when she speaks its like her mouth is too big that it covers her teeth. You can clearly see it in the part where she said "Do I have to scream?" Or "I'll get you for this!"

Trivia: Heather used to smoke cigarettes but quit for the greater good according to her. What a bad girl! :)

firecrest

Post by firecrest on Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:36 am

Most likely, uncanny valley at play here. It's not as easily noticeable in the game, but it's rather apparent in Heather's "You're Not Here" music video. I wouldn't be surprised if the polygon count around her mouth area was purposely increased to accommodate for various speech patterns.

On a note about Heather having smoked cigarettes: While it's true enough that it's not rare for teenagers of her age to pick up smoking, they largely do so initially because of some outside influence, usually family, friends or media. Apart from the fact that she was in hiding, we don't know much about her adolescence. She may have grown up with a group of friends like that, though her hanging out at the mall by herself may suggest that she has few friends. Harry himself doesn't seem like a guy who smokes a lot although he does carry a lighter.

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:08 pm

Yeah, Silent Hill characters look great, until they start flapping their gums. Whereas in SH2 they talked like robots, in SH3 they actually move their lips which kinda dips them into the uncanny valley.

The incident where I noticed this, even when I first played the game, was when the Hilltop Center goes into the otherworld.

HEATHER SMASH!
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:20 am

I have to say, nothing really bothered me about Heathers mouth.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:12 pm

Yeah....Heather's mouth is fine. Like someone else mentioned I just think it has to do with the developers trying to realistically create lip and mouth movements for when she speaks. One thing is for sure...SH3 still looks stunning even after all these years. Look at those shots that Otherworld posted...you can still see the freckles and imperfect skin textures....take a look at Heather's hair strands...games today still struggle with getting hair right, but they managed to get it right on a much inferior system and technology.

Unlike games from the ps3/360 era where characters had super smooth plastic looking skin (don't get me wrong..some games from that era still look great...but the "mayor" from Homecoming?".. :shock: ..one of thee worst looking character models eva).....you can have all the power in the world as far as processing power is concerned, but the artist and skill set makes a TON of difference....:coffee:
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Tenebra

... I meant everything.

Post by Tenebra on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:00 am

Do not you think we're getting too picky with these details? Personally I do not see anything strange in Heather's mouth, it seems perfect to me. Damn ... I'd love to kiss those lips and mouth <3 And as Clip said, SH3 still looks stunning.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:27 am

It still blows my mind that a game released in 2003 still to this very day looks so much better than a massive amount of games released almost a decade later

I mean look at Anne compared to Heather.

If you were not familiar with these two could you really be able to tell me that these two character models were released almost 10 years apart ?

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Post by Rodox_Head on Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:53 am

Heather Mason truly is a marvelous creature, definitely one of my top 5 waifus.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:55 am

I gotta post one more ....

That was 2003.

So was this ^

Panko1

I'm watching you. Who's watching me?

Post by Panko1 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:47 am

Who has a dirty mouth?
Julian Candy wrote:Heather Mason truly is a marvelous creature, definitely one of my top 5 waifus.
All thanks to Shingo Yuri he designed characters for Kojima on MGS5 too.

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:34 am

I believe that people are talking about the mouth movements which are imperfect in certain scenes, it's like small frames of animation are missing which makes it look a little weird.

It doesn't help that animations for the face give us expressions like these, look at your marvelous creature now:

I call this Uncanny Vallheather.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:58 am

You can blame that on the old facial capture technology or lack thereof. I am sure a lot of what you see was done by the artists themselves.

Plus, who looks good when they're popping off?

Lol.

Lonesome Road

Post by Lonesome Road on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:11 pm

Yes my point is something like that of devil Hunters. It did matter to me because on my observations Heather was the only one showing those silly mouth flaws when shes speaking. We never had that problem with Silent Hill 2, 3(except Heather), 4 and SM characters all of which were released on the Playstation 2.

Oh and the third picture was okay Devil Hunter. That really is a right expression of anger so nothing wrong with Heathers mouth on that one haha.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Post by clips7 on Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Meh...you can't expect everything to be perfect. I think the only other aspect that could have been improved was that Heather looks like she could use some whitening strips... :mrgreen: ...idk maybe making their teeth pearly white would have looked weird, but i think they could have made their teeth a bit whiter...nit-picking here tho...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:09 am

NSFW language but slightly amusing video I only found out about yesterday.
Worth it for the "Ho! Why is this dude in his drawers? Ho! Why is this dude in his drawers?" music clip.

No results found for oohfakanorus.

Return to Silent Hill 3