Henry Townshend

Dhalia rules!

Those moments

Post by Henry Townshend on Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Yesterday I decided to replay Silent Hill 3 after a long time, since I never really made it to the end.
I started as usually: lights off, headphones and even some food. For some reason at that point I didn´t realize what I was playing, like if it was just another generic, unoriginal "horror" game like Outlast, or any Slenderman clone. Anyway I kept in that mood, maybe paying more attention to the food rather than to the game itself, for a while. But everything changed when a guitar slowly started playing in the background, getting louder gently. As the music went on I stopped chewing and forgot about the food. I started playing actively, paying all my attention to the screen and music. Then both melt in a mystical ambience: a sunset lighting the long and angled backstreet, as "end of the mall" was playing.

I spent almost ten minutes just listening and staring at that view. Those moments are what kind of wakes you up and shows you why Silent Hill will never be matched.

brethon

Those moments

Post by brethon on Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:38 pm

Actually I love Silent Hill 3 simply because it shows the three main gameplay elements being combat, exploration, and puzzle-solving. In which for me is interesting and I love it so much. I am very much interested with unlockable weapons and costumes.

Last edited by brethon on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:04 pm.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Those moments

Post by Alistair on Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:57 pm

I feel the same way.
It was an excellent start to a great game.
Right from the beginning, they properly set-up the mood/atmosphere of the game. It keeps you hooked and wanting more! :)

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Those moments

Post by Otherworld on Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:11 am

I have done the same thing with 2 and 3. It's a testament to the quality and refinement the first games where made with. I don't have any other video games that I could just turn on and leave running just to listen to the sound track.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Those moments

Post by clips7 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah..SH3 was really when the team was at the peak of their development. They really poured their all into that game. I remember reading an interview with the team at the time after they finished SH2. One member stated that for the next game "meaning SH3" that they wanted to throw everything they could think of at that game.

I think they got the job done...SH3 was a brutally terrifying and disturbing experience and art direction and design was staggering. Character models especially Douglas and Heather still hold up well even today. The bloody walled hallways, the sound effects..etc....horror games today just pale in comparison to how these games was masterfully crafted.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Kurosawa

Those moments

Post by Kurosawa on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:13 am

I recently played Silent Hill 3 too. I sometimes stopped at certain areas to listen to the music and I spent a lot of time just exploring things. It was the music that drew me to this serie. The first time I heard about Silent Hill was maybe in 2002, but it was only a year ago when I first started to play the games.

I loved the mall part in the beginning. The music plays and the atmosphere is calm, you can see the sunset through the windows. It reminds me of MGS2, when the evening is approaching on Big shell.

I went for a bicycle ride yesterday and was thinking about some sort of music to listen to. I decided to listen to SH3's soundtrack, it gave a nice atmosphere as it was already getting dark. These games truly have a lot to offer and it would have been great if I had discovered them earlier. Better later then never I guess.

Return to Silent Hill 3