born2kill

Heather's Personality

Post by born2kill on Thu May 16, 2013 12:34 am

A problem i had with SH: Revelation 3D was that the personality of Heather was way different from what I interpreted her character to be in the game. And that immediately threw me off.
In the movie, she was written as a loner, who doesnt want to get close or speak to anybody. She seems bitter and cold with everybody except her dad. She also seemed too savy and mature for a kid.

In the game, I thought she was a normal, happy and semi-popular kid. She hangs out in the mall on weekends, and is into fashion and does dumb kid stuff like falls asleep in a diner. I also thought shes bright, but unfocused in life because shes always daydreaming; literally and figuratively.

What sort of personality did you view Heather as having? and did the loner heather from the movie throw you off too?

PEACETALKER

Heather's Personality

Post by PEACETALKER on Thu May 16, 2013 1:33 am

Everything threw me off in the movie. Heather is suppose to be a regular kid, I'd imagine she has a bit of charm and a sarcastic wit. The girl in the movie was a fucking retard
From what I recall, had Alessa successfully spread the crest throughout the town, the God would've been obliterated, or warded off. Instead Harry stepped in post-God-birth and murderized the shit out of the God. - NarooN

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Heather's Personality

Post by Naroon on Thu May 16, 2013 5:58 am

Honestly I expected the Heather in the movie to be pretty different from the game version, just like how the first film deviated pretty heavily from the first game's style.

Heather in the game is obviously a bright young gal with a sharp tongue and doesn't take any shit from anyone. That said, she loved her father very much and seemed like she was a nice girl overall as long as you didn't rub her the wrong way.

Leviathan

Lost in the Fog

Heather's Personality

Post by Leviathan on Thu May 16, 2013 6:04 am

I played SH3 only recently but on my first play through I saw Heather as kinda rough around the edges. Rebellious and kickass but at the same time she was also very vulnerable and emotional. Maybe she was somewhat of a delinquent, in the otherworld office building upon seeing an ashtray with a lit cigarette she remarks "No more cigarettes for me, I quit for good." something along those lines. I dunno, little things like that gave me this idea she was a little rebellious. I mean look at her hair, she's kinda/ sorta/ MAYBE/ a LITTLE bit of a punk rocker XD
93/ 93 93

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Heather's Personality

Post by CrazyCatLady on Thu May 16, 2013 2:40 pm

I loved Heather in the game. :lol: How brave she was struck me. She could stare a crazed lunatic in the face and call him a mental case, with no problem. That one made me giggle.

Voerman

Heather's Personality

Post by Voerman on Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:47 am

In the games, I always saw Heather as a bit of a loner to be quite honest. It all kinds of seems that way, she has an extremely close relationship with her father whom she speaks to with a lot of respect, she is very wary of strangers and not meaning to offend anyone, but not many teenagers with friends tend to go to a massive shopping mall by themselves. Just a thought.

But in terms of her persoanlity, I've always seen her as a very protective, loyal, sassy, sarcastic, witty, intelligent, brave and strong character.

At first I kinda disliked her, she seemed very sarcastic and annoying but after a while I warmed to her and she became a three dimensional character who I personally hold as a high point in female video game characters.

MuFc l mAtt

Heather's Personality

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:45 pm

BillMurraylives wrote:The girl in the movie was a fucking retard

I don't see how she was a 'retard' but yeah I know what you mean. They were totally different characters; Heather from the game seemed to me as a rebelious, strong-minded(despite all the crap she's dealing with), bright and normal teenager. While the one from the movie was a of kind of boring(Alessa business aside), loner'ish type girl. Though i'll admit the actress was cute. :P

Either way I still find it hard connecting with Heather(game/film), her character just doesn't click with me I don't know why. : /
-

Heather's#1Fan

Also Buffy's #1 Fan

Heather's Personality

Post by Heather's#1Fan on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm actually gonna watch this movie tonight, that is if i dont get distracted playing 3. I'm not expecting much from the movie. Still, as a fan I gotta try it out.
" See what happens when you f*** a stranger in the a**?!?! " - Walter Sobchak

5leve

Heather's Personality

Post by 5leve on Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 am

Heather has often struck me as those kinds of girls at school with tons of friends, but not actual friends. She's not very close to people at all, but she's friendly and amiable, and people are drawn to her charm.
Like the chick who you call your best friend, but when asked why you can't say much outside of "Well, she's nice..."

On a side note, she is the manliest Silent Hill protagonist. u v u

DarkVoid

Heather's Personality

Post by DarkVoid on Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:33 am

Sincerely, I dislike both Heathers. First one seemed to me: independent (+), rude (-), noisy (-), uncommunicable (-), brave (+), windy (-), nervous (-). Pretty, but not kind of girl I do like. It looks like the only person she can behave normally with is Harry. And second one: emotionally/mentally unstable stupid cow ("i know everything, but can't figure out what's going on"), sh?tting bricks every time she sees something abnormal (unlike original Hez). A perfect match for her also retarded boyfriend, who wears one kind of expression in any situation - 'o' - and has one answer for every question - "bbbiccoz I'm the ch..child of the Order!!!".
Hatter: "Do you know why raven is like a writing desk?"
Alice: "Because I'm a child of The Order!"

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Heather's Personality

Post by clips7 on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:20 am

I really didn't like Heather's reaction to the horror's later on in the game either...yeah she admitted she became "numb" to everything, but in doing that it kinda sapped some of her personality with it and hurt some of the game's more horrifying moments...some of her comments was just non-chalant or drab and dry.

I don't think anybody could walk thru some of things that was present in 3 and just casually make sarcastic or dry remarks (even with heather's background) about the horrors that was happening around them. And i'm not saying that heather should be walking around screaming at everything she sees, just not react so dry to alot of the things she was witnessing...when she would walk up to something and i'd see the text...my reaction would be.."what?...that's your reaction?...that's it?"

The game overall really isn't hurt by this but for me it kinda took away a bit of the atmosphere in certain scenarios...i can't comment on the movie tho since i didn't see it and at this point i'm kinda glad i didn't...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Heather's Personality

Post by Parvatii on Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:27 pm

^I guess I don't depend on the horrific reactions my characters have but you have to do some math here.... Heather was Alessa for 14 years and half of her life was spent in a coma living that sort of nightmare with a demon god baby thing inside of her, eating at her within, and before that her first seven years were filled with emotional, physical, and spiritual abuses. SO, 1. She doesn't have time for that shit, just like many RE characters. (I wouldn't have time for that shit, there's a point when you stop questioning it and just go with the flow.) 2. She's braver than most people. 3. By the end of the game she recovered most of her memories as Alessa so don't expect her to run around acting surprised.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Heather's Personality

Post by Naroon on Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:24 pm

^Pretty much what Purr said. In a sense, Heather has what is called "soldier's instinct". Elite and veteran soldiers won't sit there and be in shock when they see a corpse that has had it's head exploded by bullets on the battlefield. There's no time for it, the main focus is on survival and completing the mission. It's a natural survival instinct as well, and honestly it would've gotten annoying to see Heather still freaking out later in the game. The way it was handled in SH3 was just fine.

Gauss

Heather's Personality

Post by Gauss on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:55 pm

I agree with NarooN and Purramid_Head.

In general, there are different responses when faced with the possibility of death. People usually say it's a fight or flight response, but the more accurate way to characterize this instinct is fight then flight response. This is what we see with Heather.

It's not as though is completely unphased by the events. It does bother her, but she can't sit there worrying or philosophizing when survival is the name of the game.
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Heather's Personality

Post by Parvatii on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:36 pm

I find it really odd that people attack Heather for not responding rather than James. James had a lack of emotional response more than she did, he even stuck his hand in a poop filled toilet and didn't react!
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Gauss

Heather's Personality

Post by Gauss on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:51 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:I find it really odd that people attack Heather for not responding rather than James. James had a lack of emotional response more than she did, he even stuck his hand in a poop filled toilet and didn't react!

James is super emotionally stunted. When Maria freaks out at him, he's relatively stoic.

5leve

Heather's Personality

Post by 5leve on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:22 am

fromelmstreet wrote:
Purramid_Head wrote:I find it really odd that people attack Heather for not responding rather than James. James had a lack of emotional response more than she did, he even stuck his hand in a poop filled toilet and didn't react!

James is super emotionally stunted. When Maria freaks out at him, he's relatively stoic.

Honestly felt that the first four games were lacking in the reaction department. Heather wasn't so bad, save for the numbness thing. I felt it was a pretty good addition to her character development, and it makes sense, too.
Something that's always really interested me was the change in emotional, uh, stuntedness, after Silent Hill was handed too new developers.
I haven't played Shattered Memories so I can't say much on its part. But starting with Alex, it almost felt like the characters slowly began reacting more. Maybe its just me??

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Heather's Personality

Post by clips7 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:55 am

5leve wrote:
fromelmstreet wrote:

Honestly felt that the first four games were lacking in the reaction department. Heather wasn't so bad, save for the numbness thing. I felt it was a pretty good addition to her character development, and it makes sense, too.
Something that's always really interested me was the change in emotional, uh, stuntedness, after Silent Hill was handed too new developers.
I haven't played Shattered Memories so I can't say much on its part. But starting with Alex, it almost felt like the characters slowly began reacting more. Maybe its just me??

Some of the charms of the older games was the stilted voice acting...especially in prt1...some of the lines in that game is just classic. The voice acting definitely improved with the newer games and the reactions was more realistic...
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

Gauss

Heather's Personality

Post by Gauss on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:05 am

Good point, clips. I wonder how much of the lack of emotion in characters can be attributed to shitty voice acting or lack of technological advances? I wonder if their stilted responses were intentional.

clips7

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Heather's Personality

Post by clips7 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:15 am

fromelmstreet wrote:Good point, clips. I wonder how much of the lack of emotion in characters can be attributed to shitty voice acting or lack of technological advances? I wonder if their stilted responses were intentional.

I think it might've been a little bit of both...i remember reading somewhere that a reason for some of the stilted voice acting had to do with the translation of the script from japanese to english. I think there was alot of heavy editing to make the game's script flow as smooth as it possibly could for the western audience.

Next

Return to Silent Hill 3