The_Sinful

What do you think the true image of the "God" is?

Post by The_Sinful on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:08 am

REVEAL SPOILER
Suppose that the god hadn't been born prematurally and had actually developed. Suppose that it didn't take on traits of heather. Do you think it would have been a pure holy being of light. I've seen the picture of the of the being in the otherworld church library.
One more thing I'm assuming this is Xuchilbara (the red god.)

Floodclaw

Post by Floodclaw on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:05 am

I think it would have looked like the painting, but less...skeletal. It's not Xuchilbara, nor Lobsel Vith.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:24 am

I don't think there's really a true image of the god.

SH probably created the god based on how someone sees it. So basically, that painting is probably how some Order members see the god.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:45 am

Alessa turns into the image of God she believed in, she did not turn into a monster. Unlike some people/things. Could it be that Alessa's image of God is the correct one? In my opinion, her version is the most correct for several reasons. This is the main one.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Mothersdecent

Post by Mothersdecent on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:28 am

No one knows what god's true form looks like.

The_Sinful

Post by The_Sinful on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:30 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:Alessa turns into the image of God she believed in, she did not turn into a monster. Unlike some people/things. Could it be that Alessa's image of God is the correct one? In my opinion, her version is the most correct for several reasons. This is the main one.

REVEAL SPOILER
Well sense SH has a way of making your imagination project itself upon you I it seem very logical in a sense. However many time over I come across "The beginning" in the order's bible. In the part where it states that "A man offered a serpent to the sun then a women offered a reed to the sun," It's funny how they chose to offer it to the sun (something that gives light that makes them feel warm and gives everything) is avery intresting idol to choose in the religon despite having dark intentions.
What I'm getting at is god was birthed from the sun there for I assumed it to be a being or entity of light and beauty. When I saw it twisted up, I was like that can't be what she was supposed to look like.

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:48 pm

Just because something is an entity of light and beauty doesn't mean it won't look twisted.

The_Sinful

Post by The_Sinful on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

That feels contradictory to its appearence and let alone concept. If something is beautiful it shouldn't look like hell itself, but more as a supreme being. I'm probably going alittle to deep into this. :roll:

Borg

Ghost

Post by Borg on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Not really, let's take angels for example, they weren't winged humanoids that look pretty in the earliest appearances in Christian and Jewish literature. We can't really judge what's beautiful and what's not. For us aliens may look ugly, but for them they're beautiful.

Dark is not evil

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... kIsNotEvil
Last edited by Borg on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:00 pm.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't believe the god is anything but another construct, no different from any other monster seen in the games. I would think it has no true form any more than any other invented deity humans worship.

Gauss

Post by Gauss on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:25 pm

I don't know if the "God" would be perceived in one singular way, that is, in such a manner where everyone is perceiving exactly the same image. It seems that Silent Hill doesn't lend itself to this, and it seems that perceptions could vary widely. If we're wondering if there is a singular conception which would be realized by multiple observers, I would say no.

Though I'd be curious about how people who cannot see would perceive the "God"? What kind of sound would they hear? Feel?
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 pm

The only thing we see is the members construct and image of what God looks like. That painting in the church of the woman in red surrounded by her followers, explaining how she came to be. That does not mean She looks like that. Thoygh I believe her only true image depends on the person and believers. She does not have a set look. They believe God is female and that of what is depected in that painting, so that is her image. We can never say for sure what she looks like because she is only the image of the believer.

Im on my phone so I'll put up the link to her painting later. You can easily look her up on the wiki and find the painting thays in the church though.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:18 pm

God looks like what they believed it to look like, in that case, based off St. Alessa. And since Claudia birthed the god, she somewhat even worshiped Alessa in a sense since they were such great friends and both went through some horrible mental trauma in their childhoods. The God's twisted appearance seems to be from the very nature of it's nurturing: it was nurtured from hatred and negative feelings rather than positive feelings. Even before Heather barfs up the fetus, Heather herself was fueled by hatred and vengeance. The god's appearance reflects all of that.

Whether or not there was ever a "true" form, I doubt it. Just whatever they wanted it to be.

CrazyCatLady

Queen of Alien Relations

Post by CrazyCatLady on Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Here's the painting of what they perceive as God.

Like Naroon said, it all just depends on the person and the believe. She doesn't have a set/true image. I think it should also be worth noting that when you look at the URL of that image, it is given the name "Myth" :lol: Pretty much says it all.

the_corinthian

Post by the_corinthian on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:04 pm

i really don't think it's a real "god" (meaning, some all-mighty being that created everything there is)that the order is worshiping... I think what they call "gods" are nothing more that devils or evil lovecraftian entities that want to penetrate our plane of existence to destroy our world and the cult just interpret them as gods.

So I think the "God" would look really like a demon, like the Incubus.

Gauss

Post by Gauss on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Also, I think to talk of things in terms of "true" is in direct conflict with the idea that the "God" has a particular image or plurality of images. This focus on "true" suggest there is a matter of fact when it comes to the "true" image of the "God." I think there is such no thing ultimately.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:25 pm

The_Sinful wrote:
Purramid_Head wrote:Alessa turns into the image of God she believed in, she did not turn into a monster. Unlike some people/things. Could it be that Alessa's image of God is the correct one? In my opinion, her version is the most correct for several reasons. This is the main one.

REVEAL SPOILER
Well sense SH has a way of making your imagination project itself upon you I it seem very logical in a sense. However many time over I come across "The beginning" in the order's bible. In the part where it states that "A man offered a serpent to the sun then a women offered a reed to the sun," It's funny how they chose to offer it to the sun (something that gives light that makes them feel warm and gives everything) is avery intresting idol to choose in the religon despite having dark intentions.
What I'm getting at is god was birthed from the sun there for I assumed it to be a being or entity of light and beauty. When I saw it twisted up, I was like that can't be what she was supposed to look like.

The woman in white and the paintings that correlate to her have been around just as long as the stained glass paintings. What people are failing to calculate is that the paintings in reference are new ones Vincent paid for. The woman even appears in Silent Hill 2. She looks like the man who looks like Alessa in the stained glass paintings.

The myth in Silent Hill 3 about God dying and what not has to do with the sun going into the underworld at night. God rising again has to do with it rising in the morning. The Order has greatly misinterpretated this myth.

Gauss

Post by Gauss on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:32 pm

The idea of offering something to, say, the sun can be seen throughout history. People would offer things to stuff like the sun because they really thought it was a deity or the source of good or bad events. Generally, there's a good association with the sun, but this does not preclude poor moral actions being done to appease a "God".

Purramid_Head, could you give the other reasons for why you think Alessa's version of "God" is correct?

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:48 pm

The other reasons are that she's closer to the Native American ideal than the other versions. Long black hair, straight, etc. (The skin is a tad too white, but meh. Silent Hill isn't known to be exactly historically accurate.) But the main reason is that she never turns into a monster, and her image is never called a delusion. Everyone else's is. So, it's my opinion that Alessa's image of God which is probably derived from those earlier paintings is the "correct one".

Gauss

Post by Gauss on Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:21 pm

I worry that the particular conception of a deity you're driving at isn't correct. Don't get me wrong, it's obviously backed up by history, but if we're talking about "God", I think that whatever conception of a "God" from a particular culture will really just show what a culture thinks their "God" or "gods" look like.

In other words, I suppose I'm a bit skeptical of referring to history or anthropology or anything to justify the conception of a "God." It doesn't seem like it ought to play as much of a truthmaking (justificatory) role.

Next

Return to Silent Hill 3